C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 Vette - VATS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
frnkrizzo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Vette - VATS

So here is a description of my problem.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, all of the dash light light up correctly, but nothing happens (car starting wise). The dash lights stay fully lit, so it is not a power draw issue, I don't think.

I also believe that the "security" light is blinking.

The ignition / key / resistor issue has already been bypassed, and the car will start with a blank key without the resistor.

Is there something else that can be disabled to prevent this is issue from continuing to randomly happen ?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by frnkrizzo

When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, all of the dash light light up correctly, but nothing happens (car starting wise). The dash lights stay fully lit, so it is not a power draw issue, I don't think.

The ignition / key / resistor issue has already been bypassed, and the car will start with a blank key without the resistor.

Is there something else that can be disabled to prevent this is issue from continuing to randomly happen ?
Have you tested to see if the Request for Starter is happening down on the Solenoid. If the car has a Manual trans you can see if car will start by parking on a hill and Roll Start it if it Kick off it's not VATS and odds are it could be a Neutral switch, Clutch or even the Ignition switch on top of the Column
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Could be the neutral safety or a bad relay. Best way to check is to see if the starter is actually getting the signal and work backwards. Hook up an idiot light to the wire going to the solenoid so you can crank and see if it gets a signal. If it does, you have a starter or wire issue.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 AM
frnkrizzo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it starts after waiting 5 - 10 minutes, wouldn't be the relay possibly ?
If power was going to the starter, wouldn't there be a power draw, and dimming of lights ?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

If it starts after waiting 5 - 10 minutes, wouldn't be the relay possibly ?
If power was going to the starter, wouldn't there be a power draw, and dimming of lights ?
Before I go there, check if there is signal to the starter
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

In my '87 it was the starter inhibit relay behind the info panel. I bypassed it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
In my '87 it was the starter inhibit relay behind the info panel. I bypassed it. Your mileage may vary.
I had that problem too. Intermittent no start. Not having a new relay handy, I pulled the cover off the relay and temporarily zip tied it closed. Never did replace it.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Solving a problem with ingenuity!

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
I had that problem too. Intermittent no start. Not having a new relay handy, I pulled the cover off the relay and temporarily zip tied it closed. Never did replace it.
I have never heard of this solution before, Very creative!! I will have to remember that one. I honestly have never thought of that way of getting around the problem when relays are involved.

I simply replaced the relay as my car had the intermittent starting issues many years ago. After 29 years of operation I am a very forgiving person when it comes to these things. Anything electronic that is that old deserves to be replaced. Several of the relays are the same part so I keep one or two spares around just in case.

To resolve the key issue I went to Mid-America and bought their VAT disabling device that makes the key resistance issue a thing of the past.

Thanks again for the really creative solution to relay issues. I learn something new every day.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Vette - VATS

Quick Reply: 1987 Vette - VATS