C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
oldgringo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 Water Pump Replacement

Have looked on available posts but can't seem to find what I need to get over this last hump. Have gotten most equipment (smog pump fuel lines, serpentine belt, large pulley on front of pump, etc), removed to get to the water pump and am down to the a/c compressor and bracket.

Question 1: Should the compressor be removed from the mounting bracket first, and if so how? I can see four long bolts mounting compressor to bracket but can only access top two without using multiple tiny ujoints to remove bottom two (and then how do I replace them once new pump is installed)?

Question 2: If compressor can stay on the bracket, what else is holding the bracket to the block?

I see my chiropractor on Wed anyway!!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did this on my 89, and it was a PITA. You need to remove the 2 nuts on the water pump, the AC frame also bolts to the block, but these are easy to remove, The hardest part was the hidden support bracket on the bottom, hidden by the lower heater hose. You have to remove this, then the unit will slide forward. I had to also remove the line on the drier, and the fuel lines have to be undone so the unit slips over them to be removed. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM
oldgringo
Intermediate

Default 1989-c4-water-pump-replacement

"hidden support bracket on the bottom, hidden by the lower heater hose." - not something I had read about in any posts thus far, but will give it a shot

Much thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had no FSM when I did mine, and couldn't figure why it wouldn't move forward with all bolts and nuts off. I then started feeling around and stumbled onto the bracket, it was fun removing it.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgringo

Question 1: Should the compressor be removed from the mounting bracket first, and if so how? I can see four long bolts mounting compressor to bracket but can only access top two without using multiple tiny ujoints to remove bottom two (and then how do I replace them once new pump is installed)
I replaced my WP about a month ago on my '88. 1st, I took off the front wheels to lighten the load on my back [I see you referenced your chiropractor].
Here is a pic of my lower bolts of my AC compressor, I removed the wheel well inner piece and had clear access to lower bolts [I think that's what you're referring to.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:19 PM
oldgringo
Intermediate

New water pump is leaking after a couple months. Anybody installed an electric water pump on an 89 C4 (or an L48)?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:38 PM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if the 87 ac is the same but I left the compressor on the bracket, but there is one torx also to remove just above the tensioner. I had to take the fuel lines loose also to slide forward enough. AC stayed charged.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 Water Pump Replacement

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 Water Pump Replacement