C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 10:19 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help

I have done A LOT to my Vette in the past few months, since I bought it. It is now time to talk Cam and Headers. I have an 86 Cast Iron Heads w/126k miles. It is an Auto and I live in California. Some of my Q's are: Are headers legal in cali, pass SMOG? shorty headers? which are better long-tube, shorty? Do I need to change out my CHIP if I do the headers and/or Cam. what does somthing like this cost if I have it done professionally? I have asked around town and no one will touch it, most don't even think it is legal. I looked in Elckers and MAD, they don't have headers for 86 Vette. not cali legal anyways.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:33 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help (dbwade36)

There are no CARB legal headers with an EO number. You might approach your local CARB rep and see what is required to get a personal exemption.

Or you can just port the stock headers and install a 2 1/2" manderl bent front Y (have the pre-cat shells welded onto to the pipe for the visual inspection).

For some cams I'm sending you some L98 test data.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:19 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help (dbwade36)

There arent any LT headers with a CARB number. Shorty's are pretty much worthless too.

You wont have to change the chip for headers, but you will if you change the cam. The Cam you pick depends all on the HP you want and whether or not you have emissions, and also whether you want to keep the TPI setup or go Superram/Miniram (i know SR has a CARB, dont remember if the MR does).

You dont have a roller cam either, so that also plays a part in selection.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help

Quick Reply: Ok, time to ask about Cam and Headers guys. pls help