C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

E.G.R. Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
This info might be helpful (especially in regard to the "special" nature of Corvette EGR valves):

http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt26.pdf
thanks Cliff! just went to www.tomco-inc.com (tech tips) - the site contains a wealth of information - both related and non-related. good job!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so now I put a new Throttle Position sensor in. After fumbling around I got the car running a bit better. Well the " service engine soon " light is on so I thought I would do the `ol paperclip between A and B trick. Put the clip in turned on the ignition and Hmmm No codes? Nothing. Take the clip out and now The car won`t even start it just cranks!!!
What did I blow??? Please Help This car hates me I swear to god it has to be haunted.
So what do I do now?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by mlieb
Okay so now I put a new Throttle Position sensor in. After fumbling around I got the car running a bit better. Well the " service engine soon " light is on so I thought I would do the `ol paperclip between A and B trick. Put the clip in turned on the ignition and Hmmm No codes? Nothing. Take the clip out and now The car won`t even start it just cranks!!!
What did I blow??? Please Help This car hates me I swear to god it has to be haunted.
So what do I do now?
you should have code 12 (x 3). anything?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Joe C
you should have code 12 (x 3). anything?
No Nothing. Could I have crossed the wrong terminals by mistake.?I`m worried I may have blown something
Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

No Nothing. Could I have crossed the wrong terminals by mistake.?I`m worried I may have blown something
That is a possibility. Are you sure you got the right pins?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
That is a possibility. Are you sure you got the right pins?
Well I thought I had the right pins. I`ve done it before. But then again I could have messed up. I don`t know. What`s the worst case scenario?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

I`m done for the night. I`m just sick about this. Need to step away for a bit. Thanks everybody. If anyone knows what I may have done please let me know?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I`m done for the night. I`m just sick about this. Need to step away for a bit. Thanks everybody. If anyone knows what I may have done please let me know?
http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/

See if you can remember what you did. You might have shorted the ECM
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/

See if you can remember what you did. You might have shorted the ECM
I`m thinking that maybe I crossed b and c by mistake.What would that do? guess the first place to star would be fuse`s and fused links. I can`t even get it to flash a code now. Is there a way to have your ECM tested?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I`m thinking that maybe I crossed b and c by mistake.What would that do? guess the first place to star would be fuse`s and fused links. I can`t even get it to flash a code now. Is there a way to have your ECM tested?
Hopefully someone can lend you a functional ECM or you may have to get a reman unit. No way you can test it
The following users liked this post:
mlieb (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 07:53 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Hopefully someone can lend you a functional ECM or you may have to get a reman unit. No way you can test it
Okay so I head out to the garage tonight, Turn the key and it fires right up.Check engine light is back and even did a code check. ( 3 short flashes ???)
I was not able to take the car for a spin as it was raining cats and dogs here but once I reattached the PVC hose it seemed to rev up really well.
Cant figure that one out, Like I said I think this car is haunted. Lets see what tomorrow brings...
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Okay so I head out to the garage tonight, Turn the key and it fires right up.Check engine light is back and even did a code check. ( 3 short flashes ???)
I was not able to take the car for a spin as it was raining cats and dogs here but once I reattached the PVC hose it seemed to rev up really well.
Cant figure that one out, Like I said I think this car is haunted. Lets see what tomorrow brings...
That is weird. I don't think there is a code that corresponds to 3. I hardly ever use the paperclip thing. I usually hook up the scanner to see what happens.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 AM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

That is weird. I don't think there is a code that corresponds to 3. I hardly ever use the paperclip thing. I usually hook up the scanner to see what happens.
Well I spent the day trying to work things out.Got the TPS in and set right After setting and re-setting it about 10 times I found that the Map sensor plug was off(tab that holds it in is broken off). After plugging it back in things were looking up.
I was back to where I started. The car was running pretty good but just did not want to idle when Warmed up. Checked the fuel pressure and decided to change the fuel filter. Took the car around the block and It ran great.Still wouldn't Idle but it seemed to have more power so l decided to hammer down while I was turning around. The car came to life even broke the tired loose when shifting to 2nd! Then It died. costed home and have not been able to get it started sense.
Oh no. I gets better.... I thought well let`s start with the fuel pump. so I go to take the bolts out that hold the assembly in.and of the three bolts that were left holding it in. ( there should be 8) two of them break off! Tried to drill them out and use an "easy-out" but no way.
So I`m thinking of using some stainless sheet metal screws to re assemble it. Anybody ever have to deal with this??
As I think more about all this I wonder if the timing chain slipped when I "got on it". Would made sense.It has 160,000 miles. Any way that`s where I`m at at this point. Thanks again everybody for all the help and advise.

Last edited by mlieb; 07-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Racetronix has a kit that includes the screws in hex that are SS
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Racetronix has a kit that includes the screws in hex that are SS
Could you direct me to the link for that kit?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Could you direct me to the link for that kit?
Pump and Kit

Pump and Kit Performance

Kit
Old 07-02-2017, 10:43 AM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Thanks. I got a new pump and strainer Just need to come up with a way to screw the mounting plate down as all but one of the bolts are broken off and will not come out.

Get notified of new replies

To E.G.R. Question(s)

Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM
aguilar92c4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the famous fuel injector failure , no codes and car randomly dies on you , test each injector , you may have one bad one. Test for ohms look on YouTube. I have been around these cars for many years

Last edited by aguilar92c4; 07-02-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM
mlieb
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aguilar92c4
Sounds like the famous fuel injector failure , no codes and car randomly dies on you , test each injector , you may have one bad one. Test for ohms look on YouTube. I have been around these cars for many years
Thanks Much I will do that!
Got the fuel pump back in today and the car started right up.Runs okay but still does not want to idle when it`s warmed up. I also notice that it seems to be "loading up" I think that yes the next step would be to test out the injectors and that EGR.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't you make an EGR block off plate out of a junk piece of metal and see if your problem goes away?

Then you can go from there.

I blocked mine, but also reprogrammed my 85 ECU.

Last edited by BlueTwoToneCorvette; 07-02-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: E.G.R. Question(s)