C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Indynick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 Oil Leak

I have an oil leak in the rear of my LT1, on the driver’s side. It is dripping down on the exhaust pipe, and generating smoke. It is puddling on the rear of the block. I can see the shiny puddle in a web of the block, or maybe the bell housing. It is so tight between the block and the firewall, I can’t see where it is coming from.

Is there something back there, like an oil sensor, that could be leaking? Can oil leak out, between the block and head? The block and intake manifold?

I can’t find any pictures or diagrams of the back of the engine.

The engine was rebuilt three years ago. It has an automatic transmission.

Last edited by Indynick; 07-29-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:57 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Could it be from the valve cover? If so, it's an simple fix, but the passenger side cover is tricky to get off. (EGR pipe stays in place.)
Old 07-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Indynick
I have an oil leak in the rear of my LT1, on the driver’s side. It is dripping down on the exhaust pipe, and generating smoke. It is puddling on the rear of the block. I can see the shiny puddle in a web of the block, or maybe the bell housing. It is so tight between the block and the firewall, I can’t see where it is coming from.

Is there something back there, like an oil sensor, that could be leaking? Can oil leak out, between the block and head? The block and intake manifold?

I can’t find any pictures or diagrams of the back of the engine.

The engine was rebuilt three years ago. It has an automatic transmission.

The front and rear of the intake manifold is sealed with rtv and are prone to leakage over time. They are known as China Walls.. it's not a difficult fix but you will need to tak your time a read up on it, if not familiar. Ozzstar has a couple of good videos on it. You might first try retourquing the manifold bolts
Good luck

Last edited by Drifter36; 07-29-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Drivers side drip is usually one of the oil pressure senders on the back of the block ... one sender is for the oil pressure gauge and the other is a fuel pump override switch (in case the F.P. relay goes bad , car will get fuel once there is some oil pressure from cranking the engine) ... harder to get at on an L98 , but its still a pain on the LT1 .....
The following users liked this post:
Indynick (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Indynick
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Now I know what I am looking for.

I took off the large vacuum hose, and the fuel rail cover, and there are two oil sending units. One is horizonal, and one is almost vertical. They are both mounted to the same fitting block. The base of the vertical one is wet with oil, the horizonal one is wet also, but it could be from the vertical one.

The vertical one is long, with three wires: red, yellow, and tan-stripped. The horizonal one is short, with one light green wire. Which one is the oil pressure sending unit and which one is the fuel pump override switch?

I think I will replace the vertical one, since it is the easer one to reach.

Last edited by Indynick; 07-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Indynick
Instructor

I think I found them in my FSM. The vertical one, with three wires, is the fuel pump override switch. I assume I need to use plumber’s tape on the threads. If I change the oil pressure sending unit, do I use tape also. In the old days, if you did that, the single wire will not make a good ground.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Oil Leak

Quick Reply: LT1 Oil Leak