C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gets Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 PM
redvette1991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gets Hot

My 91 temp really rises in stop and go driving. Higher speed cruising it is in the normal range but slow down where more idling is involved temp gauge gets into the danger zone. I think maybe the passenger side cooling fan might not be kicking in but I'm not quite sure. When does second fan kick in? Does temp gauge have to be pegged before that happens?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette1991
I think maybe the passenger side cooling fan might not be kicking in but I'm not quite sure. When does second fan kick in? Does temp gauge have to be pegged before that happens?
Of course check and see if the fans are working, but have you checked the cavity between the radiator and the condenser? That area picks up a lot of debris and will really effect your cars heat exchange at low speeds.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Of course check and see if the fans are working, but have you checked the cavity between the radiator and the condenser? That area picks up a lot of debris and will really effect your cars heat exchange at low speeds.
There's a very good chance that's part of it. I'm not so sure with the '91 but on my '85 if you ground the relay for the cooling fan it should kick on. You might check that it is-you can drive at highway speeds without a working fan and the engine will stay pretty cool. It's the stop-and-go that you will notice the cooling fan not working.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
oldspeedr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Agree with Bill. When I purchased my 1990, that area was full of misc stuff. Really impacted my stop and go temp. I cleaned the a/c condensor, the radiator and cleaned the void between. No more high temp issues. Yes, it get hot idling, but not excessive. I also hose out the void whenever I wash the car. Amazing how much it picks up in 250 miles of driving.

Last edited by oldspeedr; 08-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Fans add nothing to cooling airflow above about 35mph. The blockage issue is well discussed on all Corvette boards.

The expert advice I got, when chasing a cooling probelm was, if it's a slow speed issue only, the fans are not doing their job.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Fans add nothing to cooling airflow above about 35mph. The blockage issue is well discussed on all Corvette boards.

The expert advice I got, when chasing a cooling probelm was, if it's a slow speed issue only, the fans are not doing their job.

One thing I found, the PO on my car had rewired the fan on backwards, so it was actually blowing hot engine air into the radiator rather than pulling in cool outside air. Once I fixed that (just swapping positive and negative wires) it cooled MUCH better.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Guys...we need some clarification from the OP before WAGing.

Originally Posted by redvette1991
My 91 temp really rises in stop and go driving.
I think maybe the passenger side cooling fan might not be kicking in but I'm not quite sure. When does second fan kick in? Does temp gauge have to be pegged before that happens?
First; is this on the analog gauge? The analog gauge is pretty worthless; it operates like a "cold, warm, hot" idiot light...that looks like it's a gauge. You need to verify actual temps and the easiest way to do that is the digital read out on the DIC/speedo portion of the cluster. (Do '90's provide that info there?)

Second, Coolant fans do not kick on until ABOUT 230*F which on your analog "gauge", will look like it's about hitting 260. Second cooling fan doesn't come on until about 238*F.

At low speed, there is no airflow through the radiator, so naturally, temps will climb....until ~230, when the fan (driver's side only) kicks on. At that point, w/a normally functioning cooling system, the temp gauge will appear to be just kissing the "danger zone".

SO....OP, can you confirm the actual temp at which your one fan is coming on?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-09-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

OP has a 91 so yes the LCD will display coolant temp. Pretty sure 90 will as well.

As stated sitting still will cause temp to rise. After I did break in on my brakes Sunday, I did a little experiment. Pulled in at the house and with walls on left right and front, I sat at idle and watched temp rise. Ambient was 85. Once it hit 212 I turned on A/C. In less than a minute of both fans coming on, temp started to drop. Around 204 I got bored and shut it off.

Did it just to prove to myself that turning on A/C really does drop engine temp. In my youth we were always told to turn off A/C if car was getting hot.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Once it hit 212 I turned on A/C. In less than a minute of both fans coming on, temp started to drop. Around 204 I got bored and shut it off.

Did it just to prove to myself that turning on A/C really does drop engine temp. In my youth we were always told to turn off A/C if car was getting hot.
In the old days, what you heard was true. The fan was belt driven...essentially it was always running. If you are old enough, it was literally always running (fixed fan). Anyway, no matter the belt driven fan type, there was always a copious amount of airflow over the radiator. Turning on the AC only added to the heat load on the radiator...car would run hotter.

Now days, we have zero airflow over the radiator at a stop...until the engine gets hot enough and the fan comes on...OR you turn the AC on. AC condenser has to have airflow over it to work, so AC on, fan comes on...and now you have airflow over the radiator even if you don't need it.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I found that after I switched to full roller rockers in my 1985 my temps never even get close to hot anymore, even with the AC on and on a hot day. After finding some articles on the how and why it seems the reduction in friction from the stock stamped rockers reduces heat in the engine pretty well. I used PRW full stainless 1.6 by the way.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
the PO on my car had rewired the fan on backwards, so it was actually blowing hot engine air into the radiator rather than pulling in cool outside air. Once I fixed that (just swapping positive and negative wires) it cooled MUCH better.
Amazing how that works!

Some folks should not own tools!
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Guys...we need some clarification from the OP before WAGing.

First; is this on the analog gauge? The analog gauge is pretty worthless; it operates like a "cold, warm, hot" idiot light...that looks like it's a gauge. You need to verify actual temps and the easiest way to do that is the digital read out on the DIC/speedo portion of the cluster. (Do '90's provide that info there?)

Second, Coolant fans do not kick on until ABOUT 230*F which on your analog "gauge", will look like it's about hitting 260. Second cooling fan doesn't come on until about 238*F.

At low speed, there is no airflow through the radiator, so naturally, temps will climb....until ~230, when the fan (driver's side only) kicks on. At that point, w/a normally functioning cooling system, the temp gauge will appear to be just kissing the "danger zone".

SO....OP, can you confirm the actual temp at which your one fan is coming on?
Stole the words from my mouth/fingers.

Also, OP you should read this thread (it's a sticky):
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...peratures.html

Get notified of new replies

To Gets Hot

Quick Reply: Gets Hot