C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dies when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 AM
blacksheep77
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies when in gear

Hello, I hope this is the right place for some help.. Thanks you

I have a 1984 C4 Corvette. (I am not sure how much info you want about my car. I know most of you know more about this car than I do)

The issue I am having.. (This is Cold or Hot) Two days ago (7AUG2017) it started to surge while driving. To me it feels like it is sucking for gas.. At a stop I step on the gas and it chugs forward really slow. When it get to second gear it starts to go a little better. I can get it up to 60 MPH but it does take a little time (I think a Geo Metro with 4 400lb men in it could beat me)

Yesterday it was doing it again so when I got home from work I ran to AutoZone and bought a new Fuel Filter and changed it. I then ran my son to scouts (about 2 miles round trip) and it is still surging. So i ran and bought some HEET to put in the tank to see if it had water in the tank. I ran the engine for about 5 min after adding the heet. Engine runs fine idling in my driveway.. I also Checked all fluids and everything was full and the right color.

I went out this morning on my way to work and got in. The car started right up like it always does. I put it in Reverse and it died. I restarted it rev'd the engine no issues until I put it into Rev again and it died.

Known issues with car not sure if this helps or not.. Tranny Clunks into gear, I think i might have a Brake caliper that it hanging up, Windshield wipers work when they want to work, Idles high when in gear (1500-2300) and I am sure there are more things..

Last edited by blacksheep77; 08-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I always start with a basic tuneup when a car doesn't run right. I would change plugs, wires, cap and rotor. That may take care of your problems.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I always start with a basic tuneup when a car doesn't run right. I would change plugs, wires, cap and rotor. That may take care of your problems.
If you are unsure of cars past start with a Base line, I am not saying run out and buy a couple hundred dollars in parts but at least pull and inspect and be prepared to buy. For what you have Described could be anything from a Something going on Under the cap or to a Fuel problem, Like an Injector dropping out. one nice things about a 84 is You can see what the Injectors are doing.

Just to rule out a Contaminated Fuel Tank get a Clear Glass jar and Syphon off a gas Sample (hitting the bottom of Tank) and see if there is a line of water in the gas.

Last edited by s carter; 08-09-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You probably want to take a hard look at your fuel pump. The 84s are very sensitive to fuel pressure (or lack there of) and will run poorly without enough.

Most guys swap their pump for an 85-89 spec model as it runs higher pressure so your FPR (fuel pressure regulator) always has enough.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Does your car have its Catalytic Converter?

I had an experience where the car would start right up and idle great. When you put in gear it would accelerate and act all choked up. The situation finally came to a head and I was able to figure it out.

It was the fact that my catalytic converter had become plugged up. It would allow the engine to start and idle all day. The minute you started to rev the car up a bit it would start coughing and spitting.

I was able to figure it out because this particular car had a rubber cap that covered the Emissions Test Port under the hood. With the hood up the rubber cap turned into a balloon and became inflated whenever you revved the car.

I would check your exhaust system for a plugged Catalytic before you go to far.

I wish you the very best in resolving your Corvette's woes!

Get notified of new replies

To Dies when in gear

Quick Reply: Dies when in gear