C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Instrument panel won't work in car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
1986TPIred
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument panel won't work in car.

Hello again. 1986 coupe, instrument panel will not work in the car. I removed the cluster and made a test cable. The cluster lights up when powered by the test cable. I checked the plugs in the vehicle and have voltage and grounds at the plug on all the points it should have according to wiring diagrams I have been looking at. Anyone ever had to deal with this?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Check your ground connections....

My C4 had a dashboard that only worked some of the time. I would have to bang on the bottom of the dash to get it to come back on. The same applied to my C68 A/C controller.

I finally started at the Battery and worked my way back on the car. I was looking for battery voltage drops and good grounds. I found so many bad ground connections in my dashboard. There were also large voltage drops across different circuits. My radio was seeing a voltage more than three volts below the battery voltage. Everything seems to work better when supplied with the proper voltage.

After getting the voltages and grounds sorted out the car has all accessories working great again.

If your dashboard is still using the original polarized screen covers and other parts it would be a good time to upgrade some of the electrical components as well as the other parts that wear out. Check the web for BATEE.COM as Bryan Thompson (the owner and chief repair man) is "THE MAN" when it comes to digital dashboards. He helped me get my dash back to the way it was when the car was new. The man also helps with the C68 A/C controls and all of their issues.

I wish you the best in getting all those parts to come back to life!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Lazy Tom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had the instruments rebuilt on my 95 they worked fine and then went blank.

I suspected the connection was bad. I took the cluster loose and pushed it into the plug.
There was no snap or any indication it was plugged in.

I got my left hand behind the panel where the instruments plug together so I could push the two together. This time I got a discernible click. It was fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument panel won't work in car.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel won't work in car.