C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 Courtesy Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:53 PM
GAWD
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 Courtesy Light Issue

1989 C4
Courtesy light on passenger side door above armrest will not turn off. Doesn't matter if the car is on or off, doors open or closed the light will stay on and drain the battery as I found out. I've read through some "Issue/Tech posts" but being a novice I didn't really understand most of them. Is it a relay that would need to be changed? If so would someone be able to tell me the part number or a link to the part I need? I can have someone do the work for me that would not be an issue.
All other lights in the car will go off as usual but that one will ALWAYS stay on no matter what.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Since all the other lights work as normal, I would think that it isn't a relay, delay timer, or fuse issue. My guess is that the switch inside the light to turn it on individually is not working correctly.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM
GAWD
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cadwiz_01Z
Since all the other lights work as normal, I would think that it isn't a relay, delay timer, or fuse issue. My guess is that the switch inside the light to turn it on individually is not working correctly.
Thank you, didn't know the light themselves had switches as well. I'll see if I can get to it easily and have a look.

If it were a relay, delay timer, or fuse issue would there be another set of lights that would stay on as well?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:10 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!

Originally Posted by GAWD
Thank you, didn't know the light themselves had switches as well. I'll see if I can get to it easily and have a look.

If it were a relay, delay timer, or fuse issue would there be another set of lights that would stay on as well?
If you look on the lens of the light, it should say push. I want to say it is one the end toward the front of the car.

I recently learned that the delay timer can go bad and cause a lights on condition, but it probably wouldn't only affect one light. I'm not positive if anything else going bad would cause the lights to stay on.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 PM
GAWD
5th Gear

If you look on the lens of the light, it should say push. I want to say it is one the end toward the front of the car.

I recently learned that the delay timer can go bad and cause a lights on condition, but it probably wouldn't only affect one light. I'm not positive if anything else going bad would cause the lights to stay on.

That's right the "push" as well does nothing. I'll start by looking into that and double checking any other lights being on
Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GAWD
That's right the "push" as well does nothing.
Is this with the doors closed (and rear hatch) and all other lights off?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 PM
GAWD
5th Gear

Is this with the doors closed (and rear hatch) and all other lights off?
Yes everything closed. Car on or off light will stay on.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

I'd pull it out and start tinkering with it. It already doesn't work right, what's the worst that could happen? I already sold the ones that I had, but they can be had on here or ebay for not too much.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM
GAWD
5th Gear

I'd pull it out and start tinkering with it. It already doesn't work right, what's the worst that could happen? I already sold the ones that I had, but they can be had on here or ebay for not too much.
That sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 Courtesy Light Issue

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 Courtesy Light Issue