C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 LT1 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:20 PM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 95 LT1 wont start

My nephews 95 won't start without putting the pedal all of the way to the floor. Once it starts you have to keep your foot in it to keep it running and it smokes like crazy. The crank case was filled up with gas. We checked the fuel pressure it was about 35 psi. We replaced all spark plugs and injectors and it is still doing the same thing. The optispark, water pump, mass air flow sensor were changed just a few months ago. I am going to look into vacuums or do you guys think I'm wasting my time there and where should I begin? Any advise is a appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 hardtop 08
My nephews 95 won't start without putting the pedal all of the way to the floor. Once it starts you have to keep your foot in it to keep it running and it smokes like crazy. The crank case was filled up with gas. We checked the fuel pressure it was about 35 psi. We replaced all spark plugs and injectors and it is still doing the same thing. The optispark, water pump, mass air flow sensor were changed just a few months ago. I am going to look into vacuums or do you guys think I'm wasting my time there and where should I begin? Any advise is a appreciated. Thanks
Maybe a leaking FPR ? Simple to diagnose - disconnect vacuum line !!!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Or one more injectors that are stuck wide open? It may be worth pulling plugs to see if all cylinders are running uber-rich or just one.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM
myc493sg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vats?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by myc493sg
Vats?
No, if it were VATS the starter would not engage nor would the engine spins. As the others mentioned, I think it has something to do with fuel.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

OK - Holding the gas pedal to the floor tells the computer that the engine is flooded, and the PCM cuts back on the amount of fuel injected to clear the "flooded condition".

So - you need to figure out why you're getting more fuel than you should be.

You say that you replaced the injectors - are you 100% sure that the injectors you put in are the same capacity as the ones you removed ???

If the problem existed before the injector change - and is no different after the injector change - I would look for a bad fuel pressure regulator. You might also want to pull the injectors with their associated fuel supply plumbing and just run the fuel pump with no cranking to see if any of the injectors are leaking (jumper the oil pressure switch to run the fuel pump).

Finally - the way the computer controls the injectors is by completing the ground circuit when the computer wants the injector to fire - so one terminal at each injector is always hot when the ignition is on. So - if there was a short in one of the injector grounds - the injector would always be injecting fuel - this will show up when you pull the injectors and just run the fuel pump without cranking the engine.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Get notified of new replies

To 95 LT1 wont start

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 wont start