C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Camshaft to use on a L98 without replacing the TPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:50 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Correction: midrange tq. L98 doesn't make a meaningful amount more or less "low end" tq and any other 5.7ish liter EFI V8.
Learning Moment -

Reading Comprehension - is the ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate with what the reader already knows

Can - be able to

Does - third person singular present of Do.

Now Do can be defined in many ways based on it's usage, but in this context the usage is " to make or have available and provide"

Originally Posted by KyleF
What it can do is make low end torque. .
I think what you read was "What it does do is make low end torque."

Being that we were discussing a Cam and a tune, Can is properly used to say it has the ability to as opposed to making high HP numbers.

While you can not disagree with anything I posted from a technical aspect. You felt the need to split hairs over verb usage which, in this particular instance, added nothing of value to this thread at all.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
Is the TPIS super L98 cam any good?
The specs say 220 duration... which is a bit much for factory TPI, it is on a 112LSA which is good. I would think this Cam would be better than stock, but would be a much better match for an TPI with modified runners (Shortened in some fashion).
Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

You're totally right Kyle. Thanks for the dictionary session. Installing cams is typically known for increasing low RPM torque.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Call or look up the cam companies offerings.

You want the highest lift cam you can get for your heads and the shortest duration profile you can find. Comp Cams has a few cams like this that work well.

You'll be increasing your dynamic compression and making the most power.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Chevyguy168
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
Question about your headers. Did they fit easily without much modification
I put hedman long tubes on mine the drivers side was easy the passenger side was a little tricky because of the heater core but got it done
Old 03-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Angel Garcia
Heel & Toe

Default What cam to use?

Bringing back a dead thread may just post new one. I have an 85 l98, for now i have headers, k&n filter, ported tpi plenum runners and intake, next step is cam, i prefer comp cams but not opposed to others, whats biggest lifts and durations i can go without changing rods or heads?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:39 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Are you going to change the ECM? The Crane Cam 2040 was popular with the flat tappet early L98s and is compatible with the factory ECM. An 85 has forged pistons and rods but poor performing smog heads. A cam will only do so much with those heads. Edelbrock Estreet 5809 aluminum heads or something similar would help the engine enormously especially combined with a reasonable cam. If you are changing the ECM and going for mega horse power then a roller cam is the go, but you need heads with better valve springs and retainers etc. if you are going that way then a 383 stroker kit will provide good bang for you buck.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Angel Garcia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GregMartin
Are you going to change the ECM? The Crane Cam 2040 was popular with the flat tappet early L98s and is compatible with the factory ECM. An 85 has forged pistons and rods but poor performing smog heads. A cam will only do so much with those heads. Edelbrock Estreet 5809 aluminum heads or something similar would help the engine enormously especially combined with a reasonable cam. If you are changing the ECM and going for mega horse power then a roller cam is the go, but you need heads with better valve springs and retainers etc. if you are going that way then a 383 stroker kit will provide good bang for you buck.
was unsure of ecm, any recommendations? And yea im stuck between building it with a proflo intake system and aftermarket heads, stroker kit or a straight up ls swap. Wanna enjoy car but i also want its ***** to hang when i want em too, never a happy medium lol
Old 03-04-2021, 07:34 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Angel Garcia
was unsure of ecm, any recommendations? And yea im stuck between building it with a proflo intake system and aftermarket heads, stroker kit or a straight up ls swap. Wanna enjoy car but i also want its ***** to hang when i want em too, never a happy medium lol
if you go Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 XT or something similar they come with a self learning ECU so that is a good way to go. In my mind the two options are as you state above build a beast. Or do some small reasonably low cost upgrades ie new heads and a 2040 cam.
My L83 has fairly mild upgrades that you can see in my profile and it essentially has the same bottom end as a 85 L98. I have a Dynamic EFI EBL flash II which is a great ECU and ideal for throttle body fuel injection. They can supply a modified version that can batch fire a TPI and use a speed density tune but I have no experience with this setup. Really you can use any aftermarket ECU if you are prepared to wire it in and spend a day on the dyno tuning it.
The is info on the Digital Corvette website about using a later 90s ECU for a corvette or from a truck, lots of options.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,259 Likes on 840 Posts

Check out Comp Cams. They make 2 or 3 in their XFI series. The milder one will work with a stock ECM. I used one several years ago and was pleased with the results. Call and talk to their tech guys for more information
Old 03-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Angel Garcia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GregMartin
if you go Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 XT or something similar they come with a self learning ECU so that is a good way to go. In my mind the two options are as you state above build a beast. Or do some small reasonably low cost upgrades ie new heads and a 2040 cam.
My L83 has fairly mild upgrades that you can see in my profile and it essentially has the same bottom end as a 85 L98. I have a Dynamic EFI EBL flash II which is a great ECU and ideal for throttle body fuel injection. They can supply a modified version that can batch fire a TPI and use a speed density tune but I have no experience with this setup. Really you can use any aftermarket ECU if you are prepared to wire it in and spend a day on the dyno tuning it.
The is info on the Digital Corvette website about using a later 90s ECU for a corvette or from a truck, lots of options.
prob gonna do the pro flo 4 with cam n eventually grab some heads, i feel like everyone does a ls swap so why not have the l98 show its *****. Esp cux pro flo comes with the intake rails injectors, dizzy ecm and tablet so if i piece all that out prob end up just as much if not more but thank you for the help. Ill be calling comp cam tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Chevyguy168
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vette5311
Check out Comp Cams. They make 2 or 3 in their XFI series. The milder one will work with a stock ECM. I used one several years ago and was pleased with the results. Call and talk to their tech guys for more information
Hi you can email me at @marredguy1990@gmail.com I can help you out
Old 03-23-2021, 08:40 PM
vetterobert
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Me too?

I too have an L98 in an '87 Vette. One question, why is everyone here seeming to recommend a flat tappet cam for these factory roller cam engines??

Mine is smog delete, dual exhaust with Flow Masters, and I am about to freshen it up with rings, bearings, valve job, etc. Keeping the TPI and stock computer. The only thing I would like to change is the cam. There's got to be something a bit better than the 34 year old tech factory smog bump stick.

What say you guys??

Oh, and isn't there a way to piggyback something onto the stock computer chip to gain user programmability? The prices of custom chips are stupid!!

Low budget here. Help?

Thanks,
Vettepilot
Old 03-23-2021, 11:30 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetterobert
I too have an L98 in an '87 Vette. One question, why is everyone here seeming to recommend a flat tappet cam for these factory roller cam engines??

Mine is smog delete, dual exhaust with Flow Masters, and I am about to freshen it up with rings, bearings, valve job, etc. Keeping the TPI and stock computer. The only thing I would like to change is the cam. There's got to be something a bit better than the 34 year old tech factory smog bump stick.

What say you guys??

Oh, and isn't there a way to piggyback something onto the stock computer chip to gain user programmability? The prices of custom chips are stupid!!

Low budget here. Help?

Thanks,
Vettepilot
Not me. I have recommended flat tappet on 84 - mid 86 (I think that’s right from memory). Even these engines will benefit from a roller can (a retro fit type one) but normally need the valve springs and retainers up rated.

Quick Reply: Best Camshaft to use on a L98 without replacing the TPI