C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Runners

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:21 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runners

We all know that our stock runners are a culprit in choking down these motors on L98's. I am looking for options and everything i look up is know longer sold or being made. What options do we still have? Porting them ourselves? Porting services? Which ones?.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

The FIRST intake is about the only TPI option I know of. I thought AS&M may still be making runners but not sure.

https://www.firstfuelinjection.com/services.html
Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliC4
We all know that our stock runners are a culprit in choking down these motors on L98's. I am looking for options and everything i look up is know longer sold or being made. What options do we still have? Porting them ourselves? Porting services? Which ones?.
If you are willing to use a hood scoop Holley Stealth Ram if you are planning to use headers and do something like a wilder cam, heads and a 383.

Before we go there, what exactly is your goal and your budget? Without knowing that, we have no clue what to tell you.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The First Intake ,Then port the thing as big as you can and you will have all the torque and horsepower you want.And it will fit under the stock hood.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

I'm currently building a 383 with a cam and eventually I'll be doing an engine swap. For now I'm just building this one up because I'll be swapping parts over once I get the long block finished. Do you guys have links? Everything I find is old. They are not producing anymore.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

The first intake you guys showed looks almost identical to the stock one. Is it really worth $1,000? What kinds of gains have we seen off it?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

The first intake you guys showed looks almost identical to the stock one. Is it really worth $1,000? What kinds of gains have we seen off it?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Schieby
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What about extrude hone?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

the FIRST will blow away any ported tpi system;the beauty is at first glance they do look stock

whats your budget for all this to make helping easier;porting can cost that much just buy a better system ro do the best you can with used stuff and cal it good

Last edited by cv67; 08-28-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The the First intake Is like TPI on Steroids.AS&M still makes Large tube runners at $500 a pop.The First TPI is nothing like a stock factory set up.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

You need to realize that the fundamental issue with the TPI intake isn't restrictions due to cross-section area, but rather it's the long length that imposes a resonance restriction at a certain rpm range regardless of how open the runners' diameters are. The only way to eliminate this is to go with much shorter runners, i.e. a completely different intake architecture.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Is there much gain in this intake without the headers? One should budget that in too along with tuning on a dyno for about $600 plus misc costs
Old 08-28-2017, 11:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
You need to realize that the fundamental issue with the TPI intake isn't restrictions due to cross-section area, but rather it's the long length that imposes a resonance restriction at a certain rpm range regardless of how open the runners' diameters are. The only way to eliminate this is to go with much shorter runners, i.e. a completely different intake architecture.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I'm currently building a 383 with a cam and eventually I'll be doing an engine swap. For now I'm just building this one up because I'll be swapping parts over once I get the long block finished. Do you guys have links? Everything I find is old. They are not producing anymore.
Here's what you could do to convert to a old school single plane intake :

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/cata...3/image/14265/

That's $450. Now for the elbow:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/perform...ake-elbow.html

That's another $400. But it's a bolt on conversion and I think it compliments a stroker with a longer duration cam. You will give up the mid-range torque the TPI produces but a 383" will have inheritly more torque in the 33ft-lb range.

Actually the more you look into intakes for the sbc - even fuel injected - the options are nearly endless. And it's kinda fun up to the point it gives me headaches.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Would single plane be good for street running?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
They actually have considerably longer runners than the stock LTx or Miniram intakes. The previous owner of my car tried one in an effort get more mid-range torque, but it still made all the power increases at the top end. I suppose that could be due to the large cross section of the runners? Not sure.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:49 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

the edelbrock pro flo xt is supposed to offer a wide power range but then you still give up the look of the tpi, I am considering it for my 383 that I run now, I am between that or the first intake.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...flo-xt-intake/

Last edited by eutu1984; 08-28-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Runners

Old 08-29-2017, 03:32 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
They actually have considerably longer runners than the stock LTx or Miniram intakes. The previous owner of my car tried one in an effort get more mid-range torque, but it still made all the power increases at the top end. I suppose that could be due to the large cross section of the runners? Not sure.

Well I couldn't sleep so I thought I could add to this. When I had the chance I measured an Edelbrock Victor Junior SP and the shortest runners on the inside ports were something like only 5.5" long. And my LT1 intake was like 5" runners but all of them.

Well the LT1 intake is great on the street. And I think EFI cures most of the fuel mixture problems of old school carbs as the fuel is delivered just behind the valve and doesn't tend to drop out in the intake runner though I'm sure it will inside the head runner - but you can't blame that on the intake and changing intakes won't cure what large ports in the heads create.

So another intake conversion thats very common with the third gen camaros is to convert the LT1 intake to sbc gen I heads. requires machining for a distributor hole (correct location, angle, size) and relocating the mounting bolt holes to the heads. Thirdgen.org forum has a lot of good info on this if you care to search. And there was a machinist there that had like 40 converted LT1 intakes for sale but I already searched there tonight and couldn't find him. Since you want to install NOx so if you want a big shot you would need to install that onto the manifold also - unless you just use a plate shot at the throttle body.

Something I have in plans is to convert a dual plane intake to EFI. This gives longer runners than the single plane for better mid range torque and reasonable rpm range.

Good night.

Last edited by cardo0; 08-29-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:44 PM
ryank9398
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eutu1984
the edelbrock pro flo xt is supposed to offer a wide power range but then you still give up the look of the tpi, I am considering it for my 383 that I run now, I am between that or the first intake.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...flo-xt-intake/
^^^ Just got an old set of Edelbrock runners but looking to sell them and use ProfloXT on a 383 build. The proflo requires small base distributor with remote coil, like most pickups from the 90s. I have also seen the original twin blade TB adapted to the large round opening intended for LS style monoblade. I would really love to hear from someone about the installation. Not sure how the throttle cable bracket works.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ryank9398
^^^ Just got an old set of Edelbrock runners but looking to sell them and use ProfloXT on a 383 build. The proflo requires small base distributor with remote coil, like most pickups from the 90s. I have also seen the original twin blade TB adapted to the large round opening intended for LS style monoblade. I would really love to hear from someone about the installation. Not sure how the throttle cable bracket works.
I remember seeing a thread on hear where they made there own adapter and at least one other with the pro flo xt, you would have to do a advance search though to find them.

Quick Reply: Runners