C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking for ZF6 flywheel / clutch recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Pile_Driver
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking for ZF6 flywheel / clutch recommendations

Whelp, I'm going to have to replace the dual mass flywheel on my 1990.

Anyone have a recommendation on a standard flywheel / clutch combo for that car? It's a daily driver and is not driven on the track.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For the flywheel look at a Spec SC05S-2. It is close in weight and helps with the rattles the dual-mass eliminated. Spec should also make a "stock" pressure plate and disk.

One requirement is to get it balanced, if your flywheel is real bad it may present a problem. I had to use my old flex plate (car converted from auto) to get balance right, my new flywheel was 8 grams light out of the box.

Last edited by blue94; 08-31-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Please consider the fact of rattling will drive you nuts if this is for a daily driver. if you go with a SMF, you'll be pressing the clutch to stop the rattling everytime you stop...specially on fast food's drive-thrus.

Ghost's History

Last edited by PLRX; 08-31-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Dmf

Originally Posted by Pile_Driver
Whelp, I'm going to have to replace the dual mass flywheel on my 1990.

Anyone have a recommendation on a standard flywheel / clutch combo for that car? It's a daily driver and is not driven on the track.

Thanks!
So is your DMF Leaking, surface spots or noisy? I would be interested
in it how many miles on the car?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

I went with the Spec extra-mass SMF, and their Stage 2 clutch kit. Overall, I'm pleased with all of it. Gear rattle is nearly non-existent, and the clutch has held up well. The package included the SMF, disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bushing, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, and an alignment tool.

I did take the flywheels (old DMF and new SMF) up to House of Balance, in the interest of being sure there would be no balance-related vibration, but it turned out to have been unnecessary in this instance. The match old/new was nearly perfect out of the box. The tech did just barely kiss the new SMF with a drill to remove a tiny bit of material, but I seriously doubt I'd have felt any vibration if I had just bolted it in as-received. Still, it can't hurt to play it safe, and have the new unit match-balanced to the old.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 PM
cc454
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alum smf

I'm running a spec alum flywheel and yes it really rattles loud, even over 3" exhaust & headers. To a point that if I share a lane at a traffic light I will clutch in not to sound like a ole freight liner.

It drive thru's not a problem. I have to shut off just to be heard when I order.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:47 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cc454
I'm running a spec alum flywheel and yes it really rattles loud, even over 3" exhaust & headers. To a point that if I share a lane at a traffic light I will clutch in not to sound like a ole freight liner.

It drive thru's not a problem. I have to shut off just to be heard when I order.
1. are you running a sprung hub clutch ?
2. do you have thicker countershaft shim installed?

if you havent done these then yes. there will be gear rattle when removing the dual mass flywheel

mine is quiet w/ alum flywheel (blue tag zf) with a sprung hub clutch and thicker shim
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a dmf...just sitting.

I just did a centerforce pressure plate, dual friction disc, and the mid weight spec flywheel. I was rebuilding my engine so I had harmonic, crank, and smf all balanced together.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for ZF6 flywheel / clutch recommendations

Quick Reply: Looking for ZF6 flywheel / clutch recommendations