C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Original plug wires on 95 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM
starnest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original plug wires on 95 coupe

I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

First, are these indeed the original wires?

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:57 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by starnest
I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
Could very well be originals.
When I replaced motor on my 93 I left the wires on. Tonight I checked the wires as engine was not as smooth and thought I had a bad wire. After dark I sprayed water on them and no arching appeared. They are original with about 36,000 miles on them
​​them. They have the numbers on. I do have some fairly new taylors with less than 400 miles but are 8.2mm compared to 7mm stock.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 AM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To me, it falls into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. I'm sure someone on here will disagree because someone always disagrees. Anyway, I have never had a plug wire cause a sudden side of the road breakdown. They typically degrade over time and you develop a rough idle. When that occurs swap them out. You could just wait until you are in there doing an opti-spark or water-pump (or both). If you are running nitrous or a blower then yes it is cheap insurance but for most people, it can be more trouble than it is worth.

As for trying to get OEM replacements...unless your car is something special I wouldn't bother. There are superior parts out there for less money. I really like my car but I know it is one of many and worthless to a collector. Lots of people bought these cars for weekend duty and low mileage examples abound. If it is just another nice Corvette you might as well drive it and not worry yourself about original parts. Especially when they are of lesser quality.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
starnest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks scotth48 - If your wires are still good on your 93, then I can have a little faith in mine.

Thanks Iexpedite - I too subscribe to the ain't broke don't fix maintenance philosophy.

I'm not sure I totally agree about not using OEM wires (and other parts). At this point in time, C4 corvettes are at their lowest value and there are a lot of nice low mileage cars available. I understand "drive and enjoy" because they are worthless to a collector, but in 10 to 20 years these cars will regain value and the more original they are, the more they'll be worth. I say keep them as original as you can. As an example, my 71 coupe had been badly neglected and a lot of original parts were long gone. I restored her as good as I could afford, but items like correct exhaust manifolds, ignition shielding, smog pump, etc were to expensive to replace. When I was done I had a very nice car, but the value was still low because it wasn't original.
I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you, but that's the way I feel about it.

I would still be interested in finding a resource for the original wires.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:41 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks scotth48 - If your wires are still good on your 93, then I can have a little faith in mine.

Thanks Iexpedite - I too subscribe to the ain't broke don't fix maintenance philosophy.

I'm not sure I totally agree about not using OEM wires (and other parts). At this point in time, C4 corvettes are at their lowest value and there are a lot of nice low mileage cars available. I understand "drive and enjoy" because they are worthless to a collector, but in 10 to 20 years these cars will regain value and the more original they are, the more they'll be worth. I say keep them as original as you can. As an example, my 71 coupe had been badly neglected and a lot of original parts were long gone. I restored her as good as I could afford, but items like correct exhaust manifolds, ignition shielding, smog pump, etc were to expensive to replace. When I was done I had a very nice car, but the value was still low because it wasn't original.
I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you, but that's the way I feel about it.

I would replace them with Taylors
If not now... I would put them on my maintenance to do list
Old 09-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks scotth48 -
I can see your point. I don't know if anyone makes factory wires. Maybe pick up a set of Taylor's while your stockers are still good and then store the originals.

If stock wires aren't available now they may be in the future. Old Mustangs and Camaros have nearly every part being remanufactured these days. My 97 F150 has strong, factory looking, aftermarket parts support...for some reason.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Most likely are the stock cables. I've just thrown them away and they were the same you described. I've just save spiral wrap to put it on new taylor

For stock wires you will find them at RA. spiral wrap seems to be the same then "cables collector", also you can use sleeve for spark plug wires, this is available from summit racing AFAIR

Last edited by Christi@n; 09-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Iexpedite
To me, it falls into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.
I've replaced them cause i like red cable inside engine bay

For really

Get notified of new replies

To Original plug wires on 95 coupe

Quick Reply: Original plug wires on 95 coupe