Original plug wires on 95 coupe - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Original plug wires on 95 coupe

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM
  #1  
starnest
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Original plug wires on 95 coupe

I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

First, are these indeed the original wires?

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
starnest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:57 AM
  #2  
scotth48
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte Michigan
Posts: 1,022
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starnest View Post
I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

First, are these indeed the original wires?

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
Could very well be originals.
When I replaced motor on my 93 I left the wires on. Tonight I checked the wires as engine was not as smooth and thought I had a bad wire. After dark I sprayed water on them and no arching appeared. They are original with about 36,000 miles on them
​​them. They have the numbers on. I do have some fairly new taylors with less than 400 miles but are 8.2mm compared to 7mm stock.
scotth48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 AM
  #3  
Iexpedite
Junior Member
 
Iexpedite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Posts: 40
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starnest View Post
I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

First, are these indeed the original wires?

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
To me, it falls into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. I'm sure someone on here will disagree because someone always disagrees. Anyway, I have never had a plug wire cause a sudden side of the road breakdown. They typically degrade over time and you develop a rough idle. When that occurs swap them out. You could just wait until you are in there doing an opti-spark or water-pump (or both). If you are running nitrous or a blower then yes it is cheap insurance but for most people, it can be more trouble than it is worth.

As for trying to get OEM replacements...unless your car is something special I wouldn't bother. There are superior parts out there for less money. I really like my car but I know it is one of many and worthless to a collector. Lots of people bought these cars for weekend duty and low mileage examples abound. If it is just another nice Corvette you might as well drive it and not worry yourself about original parts. Especially when they are of lesser quality.
Iexpedite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
  #4  
starnest
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks scotth48 - If your wires are still good on your 93, then I can have a little faith in mine.

Thanks Iexpedite - I too subscribe to the ain't broke don't fix maintenance philosophy.

I'm not sure I totally agree about not using OEM wires (and other parts). At this point in time, C4 corvettes are at their lowest value and there are a lot of nice low mileage cars available. I understand "drive and enjoy" because they are worthless to a collector, but in 10 to 20 years these cars will regain value and the more original they are, the more they'll be worth. I say keep them as original as you can. As an example, my 71 coupe had been badly neglected and a lot of original parts were long gone. I restored her as good as I could afford, but items like correct exhaust manifolds, ignition shielding, smog pump, etc were to expensive to replace. When I was done I had a very nice car, but the value was still low because it wasn't original.
I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you, but that's the way I feel about it.

I would still be interested in finding a resource for the original wires.
starnest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:41 PM
  #5  
redcorvettedave
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Savannah Ga.
Posts: 1,302
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starnest View Post
Thanks scotth48 - If your wires are still good on your 93, then I can have a little faith in mine.

Thanks Iexpedite - I too subscribe to the ain't broke don't fix maintenance philosophy.

I'm not sure I totally agree about not using OEM wires (and other parts). At this point in time, C4 corvettes are at their lowest value and there are a lot of nice low mileage cars available. I understand "drive and enjoy" because they are worthless to a collector, but in 10 to 20 years these cars will regain value and the more original they are, the more they'll be worth. I say keep them as original as you can. As an example, my 71 coupe had been badly neglected and a lot of original parts were long gone. I restored her as good as I could afford, but items like correct exhaust manifolds, ignition shielding, smog pump, etc were to expensive to replace. When I was done I had a very nice car, but the value was still low because it wasn't original.
I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you, but that's the way I feel about it.

I would still be interested in finding a resource for the original wires.

I would replace them with Taylors
If not now... I would put them on my maintenance to do list
redcorvettedave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:22 AM
  #6  
Iexpedite
Junior Member
 
Iexpedite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Posts: 40
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starnest View Post
Thanks scotth48 -
I would still be interested in finding a resource for the original wires.
I can see your point. I don't know if anyone makes factory wires. Maybe pick up a set of Taylor's while your stockers are still good and then store the originals.

If stock wires aren't available now they may be in the future. Old Mustangs and Camaros have nearly every part being remanufactured these days. My 97 F150 has strong, factory looking, aftermarket parts support...for some reason.
Iexpedite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 PM
  #7  
[email protected]
CF Senior Member
 
Christi@n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Trieste Italy
Posts: 1,395
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starnest View Post
I searched and found plenty who like the taylor wires, I do too, just bought some for my Chevelle hot rod.

But, my newly acquired 95 coupe is low miles (66k) and appears to have been garage kept.

Initial inspection shows what I believe to be original plug wires, they have the cylinder numbers printed on them and individual partial spiral wrap protection around them.

First, are these indeed the original wires?

Second, opinions please - without any indication of misfire or skipping, keep them and wait for a problem; or proactively replace them and avoid a potential breakdown or damage?

Lastly, any resource for OEM replacement wires with the numbering and spiral wrap?
Most likely are the stock cables. I've just thrown them away and they were the same you described. I've just save spiral wrap to put it on new taylor

For stock wires you will find them at RA. spiral wrap seems to be the same then "cables collector", also you can use sleeve for spark plug wires, this is available from summit racing AFAIR

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Christi@n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:10 PM
  #8  
[email protected]
CF Senior Member
 
Christi@n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Trieste Italy
Posts: 1,395
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Iexpedite View Post
To me, it falls into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.
I've replaced them cause i like red cable inside engine bay

For really
Christi@n is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Original plug wires on 95 coupe


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: