C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ecm issue question please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecm issue question please help

I bought a 84 vette with a messed up ECM my only question is if i buy a re manufactured ECM will i need to go to the dealer for them to program it ?
Also could i buy a ECM the same year at a junkyard with getting around the dealer programming it if need be?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

A used ECM would need to have the same model number as the original one. There is a small door on ECM and the PROM or program chip is under it. Carefully remove and transfer it to other ECM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

No programming needed. Just plug and play. As stated you need the same computer number and prom for your car.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I had to replace the ECM in my 1984 with a auto transmission. I tried the junk yard route and had to send two back for non-working. I finally found a Chevrolet dealer that had one in stock. It was a GM unit that was re-manufactured for GM. It worked perfectly and has for 6 years now.

You will need the proper ecm auto or manual transmission. The prom mentioned above are held at a premium price so be very careful removing and replacing yours. The re-manufactured ECMs normally do not come with the prom.

Good luck with your repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Ecm issue question please help

Quick Reply: Ecm issue question please help