C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where do I connect radio to ACC + on '91?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:25 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I connect radio to ACC + on '91?

Okay, I've spent the last 3 hours reading long posts on forums in-between screen freezes from all the pop-ups, and decided to just ask this again. All I want to do is connect my acc + wire from my aftermarket Pioneer to a wire or fuse (with a "take off") in my '91 coupe that will let the radio work when the key is in "acc" position. All I did was replace the original Bose tuner with a simple Pioneer radio/CD player in the hole where the tuner/CD player was. I am leaving the original amplifier in place by the glove box, don't want to deal with that can of worms. I also just ran new speaker wire to aftermarket speakers, all my Bozo speaker amplifiers were blown.
I tried tapping to all the 10 amp fuses in both locations (even the "radio" fuse) , and none seem to only have power when the key is in ACC or ignition/run mode. And I don't see any fuse for ACC???Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The GM does not use a separate acc. wire to radio. The 12v feed is powered on in both acc and run. There is a separate wire for clock and memory. So you know Bose is a component stereo. Heads is on dash, receiver in under rear storage compartment, and speakers have amps made to them. Amps have their own power source.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Thanks, yes, I'm fairly familiar with the Bose layout in the '91, just thought there might be a way I could turn the key to acc position and listen to the radio. So for now, I have full time hot to junction block by battery, which probably keeps memory intact, and I am using a fused "take-off" in the wiper fuse holder on the RH end of IP fuse block for power when ignition is on, so to use radio without engine running, I have to turn key to on position, which energizes many other circuits I don't need.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by cimchazz1
Thanks, yes, I'm fairly familiar with the Bose layout in the '91, just thought there might be a way I could turn the key to acc position and listen to the radio. So for now, I have full time hot to junction block by battery, which probably keeps memory intact, and I am using a fused "take-off" in the wiper fuse holder on the RH end of IP fuse block for power when ignition is on, so to use radio without engine running, I have to turn key to on position, which energizes many other circuits I don't need.
Wiper fuse is I'm quite sure powered in BOTH "RUN & ACC" - if you have the FSM check.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:18 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Wiper fuse is I'm quite sure powered in BOTH "RUN & ACC" - if you have the FSM check.
Thanks, you are correct that the wiper works in ACC position. I went out to double check my connection and I see I didn't use that fuse because the "breakout" instructions said not to replace any fuse higher than 10 amps, and the wiper is 20amps. The unit sure looks heavy enough to work with a 20amp fuse in it, and I hardly ever use the wipers, so maybe I will switch it to the wiper fuse for now and maybe hardwire with a 10amp fuse to radio later. And look for a better fuse takeoff, too.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by cimchazz1
Thanks, you are correct that the wiper works in ACC position. I went out to double check my connection and I see I didn't use that fuse because the "breakout" instructions said not to replace any fuse higher than 10 amps, and the wiper is 20amps. The unit sure looks heavy enough to work with a 20amp fuse in it, and I hardly ever use the wipers, so maybe I will switch it to the wiper fuse for now and maybe hardwire with a 10amp fuse to radio later. And look for a better fuse takeoff, too.
'91 was the first year with DAB (Delayed Accessory Bus) and I believe there would be many options to do the radio (after-market) to operate as you'd like and also use the DAB.

Do you have the FSM? The actual RADIO fuse is in an AUX BOX under the dash near the CDM and if you used that to power your after-market I believe you'd have full function of everything, proper ACC and also the DAB function.

Do you have the FSM?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
'91 was the first year with DAB (Delayed Accessory Bus) and I believe there would be many options to do the radio (after-market) to operate as you'd like and also use the DAB.

Do you have the FSM? The actual RADIO fuse is in an AUX BOX under the dash near the CDM and if you used that to power your after-market I believe you'd have full function of everything, proper ACC and also the DAB function.

Do you have the FSM?
Yes, I will take a look at the FSM. Also found and ordered a "power takeoff" for a 20amp fuse, so now I also have the wiper circuit option (Pixnor 12V ATO ATC Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder with 20A Blade Fuse - Size M) Thanks all for the input!!!!!! Hopefully this will help someone else out, too!

Get notified of new replies

To Where do I connect radio to ACC + on '91?

Quick Reply: Where do I connect radio to ACC + on '91?