C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 corvette battery keeps dieing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 corvette battery keeps dieing

i replaced my alternator and battery and yet my car keeps dieing on me when i drive it i have no idea what to do at this point
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by chagger32
i replaced my alternator and battery and yet my car keeps dieing on me when i drive it i have no idea what to do at this point
CAn you please elaborate a bit? There are many reasons that a car will die while driving and most are not electrical related.

When the car dies, does ALL the power in the car go off or just the engine (with the cluster, fans, radios, etc all working) shutting down.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:50 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
CAn you please elaborate a bit? There are many reasons that a car will die while driving and most are not electrical related.

When the car dies, does ALL the power in the car go off or just the engine (with the cluster, fans, radios, etc all working) shutting down.
it is just the engine that will not crank back up until the battery is put back onto the charger but i can tell about 10 minutes into the drive that i need to pull off or i will be in trouble when the gauges turn dark and the clock light flickers the battery does not completely die though as the interior lights are still on
Old 09-27-2017, 03:52 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

i can also give it a jump and it will start right back until it idles a bit then dies again
Old 09-27-2017, 04:03 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Even though you replaced the alternator it sounds like it is not charging. Have you checked the voltage while it is running? It should be over 13.5 volts at the alternator while running.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Well your issue is the battery, the alternator or a combo.

When you get it started go to AutoZone and (for free) they will put a gauge on the battery and that will tell you the condition of the battery and the condition of the alternator.

The fact that the engine starts immediately upon jumping means the battery is way low. Now, the battery is either shot or the alternator is not charging. Either way you'll need to know.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Where did you get the alternator and battery?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aklim
Where did you get the alternator and battery?
Rockauto.com - Alternator

Advance Auto - Battery
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Well your issue is the battery, the alternator or a combo.

When you get it started go to AutoZone and (for free) they will put a gauge on the battery and that will tell you the condition of the battery and the condition of the alternator.

The fact that the engine starts immediately upon jumping means the battery is way low. Now, the battery is either shot or the alternator is not charging. Either way you'll need to know.
I am charging the battery now so i am going to risk the 10 minute drive to auto zone either tomorrow or Friday at the latest need to build up confidence who knows if the wife will leave me stranded if i break down again .
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Even though you replaced the alternator it sounds like it is not charging. Have you checked the voltage while it is running? It should be over 13.5 volts at the alternator while running.
i have not i really should have but when you buy something from a store you expect it to work but at least the C4's alternator is not that much of a hassle
Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

No, if you drive it, you skew the test. I would take the alternator to a rebuild shop and have them take it apart and test it extensively. Also, battery needs to be fully charged so they can do a load test. If you hook it up, we have no clue if the car is draining the battery or whatever. Also, I would, while you are screwing with the rebuild shop, have them take the starter for a test and disassembly
Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to put a multi-meter on the battery while it is running to see if the battery is charging.

Sounds like the battery is not charging.

Either the battery or alternator could be bad. New things do fail.

Last edited by divotdug; 09-28-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

bad alternator i will never buy re manufactured again if i could help it
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

bad alternator i will never buy re manufactured again if i could help it
Is that the issue or what?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aklim
Is that the issue or what?
That was the battery issue. Unfourtantly gauges don't have any numbers that are visible and car dies out but it is still able to start back up atleast going for a new fuel pump and distributor tommorow.

Btw sorry about the tension last night. I was in a awful mood and received unfortunate news.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

That was the battery issue. Unfourtantly gauges don't have any numbers that are visible and car dies out but it is still able to start back up atleast going for a new fuel pump and distributor tommorow.

Btw sorry about the tension last night. I was in a awful mood and received unfortunate news.
Until you brought it up, I had already forgotten and by the end of the movie I'm watching, I'd probably forget again. When I have alzheimers nobody will know.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 corvette battery keeps dieing

Quick Reply: 84 corvette battery keeps dieing