C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Used oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Used oil analysis

Who has used motor oil analyzed? How do you use the results? I can see the obvious if some metal content is way out of whack, but I know some people have oil analyzed after nearly every oil change. How does it help you?
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

There are several things that you can do w/the results. I used them religiously here at work for fleet.

First, if you do it every time you change oil, you establish a "history" and pattern that should become familiar. This takes time. BUT, once you have that, anomalies will become easily noticeable red flags. So there is that; it can be used as a diagnostic/preventative measure.

Second, you can assess the condition of your oil, and use that to determine the actual life of the oil in your application/usage.

Finally, you once you have a history established, you can experiment with different oils and have an objective way to "see" the results/performance.
The following users liked this post:
car addict (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:17 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Thanks, both of you. The trending or pattern makes perfect sense. I have no interest in trying to extend my oil change interval, so that part

I have seen copies of Blackstone reports. That's partly what prompted my post. Without having a pattern, and without having something obviously out of range, looking at one report sort of leaves me going, So? And?
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a kit from NAPA but will wait until next spring to use. The oil has been in a year now with around 4-5000 miles. I have AMSOIL and there Ea filter for the upto 24,000 mile life. I did that in my Olds Aurora. My neighbor said it looked like new yet when it was changed. But want to do a analysis on the '93.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:40 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Local CAT dealers can provide this service also.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
"Cat Dealers" send the sample out to a lab too. Some use Blackstone. They'll charge you for the kit. And the analysis. And you'll make two trips to the Cat Dealer.
Ahhh, maybe some CAT dealers? None of that is true of mine (Wheeler CAT in SLC). They have their own lab, in house. I semi frequently call down there and talk to the person who is running the lab for a variety of reasons. CAT does charge for the kit...but that charge also includes the cost of the analysis; when you buy the kit, you've already bought the analysis...they don't charge you twice. I don't make any trips to CAT; I mail in the samples (postage pre-paid) and they email me back the reports.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
What you will have is your readings, and the Universal Averages to compare it to.

Send Blackstone an email. They will probably respond. Ask the following question: "I have a 19xx Corvette with a 5.7L gas engine. I understand your reports include Universal Averages I can compare my readings to. What sample-size will the UA's in my Corvette's report be based on?"

snip

Send an email and see what they say. Please report back, as I'd be curious too. I once asked this exact question about the UA's for my 1999 Super Duty. They replied "all 7.3 Diesels from 1999-2003". So I'm comparing my readings to other like engines in similar service, and IIRC, the sample size was about 5,000 analysis, (not individual engines). That's a representative comparison.
I sent email last week (6 days ago)) saying my car is 96 Corvette, 5.7L LT4, and asked what would be the comparison group. Thus far I have not received a reply. If that changes I will update.

Get notified of new replies

To Used oil analysis

Quick Reply: Used oil analysis