C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Boggedust
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter cable issue

Hey all,

Have a really specific issue. Sorry if its already been addressed.
I have an 87 with long tube headers. Due to the long tubes, I had to install a mini starter on the car. The cable that goes to the starter every once in awhile comes off if I hit a big enough bump in the road. No problem usually, I just need to reattach to start the car. Well yesterday, the cable came off and I went to reinstall the cable. Well, on this particular day, when I laid the starter cable against the starter terminal, the car attempted to start. Since I have a 4+3, the car was in reverse. Fortunately, the car didn't actually turn over but it was rolling backwards. It has since stopped with the issue, but I am afraid that one day the car will simply start itself and roll backwards until it hits something.

Has anyone come across this issue? I have a batter quick disconnect on the car so when I park it I now always will disconnect the battery.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:11 AM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like your starter solenoid was stuck on. I haven't seen this with the Corvette, but have seen it with aircraft engine starters. My question is why is your starter cable repeatedly detaching? That cable is hot (+12 volts) all the time - if it shorts against the frame...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Boggedust
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to cut the factory wire and attach a new crimp. It appears the one I put on is a tad loose. It was a minor inconvenience up until now.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38 AM
87Blue
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id double nut the cable so it cant come off again.i agree solenoid was stuck id replace it if it was mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter cable issue

Quick Reply: Starter cable issue