C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Differential Removal and Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Differential Removal and Install

Well I needed to remove the rear differential in my 85 and as I work alone I needed a solution to aid in its removal and installation. I already have an engine hoist and I really didn't want to buy a transmission jack to take up space when not in use. So I decided to modify my engine hoist to do the job. I really like how it turned out and it worked great. Here is how I did it.

Oh yeah, you need the car to be on a lift to use this version.
Attached Images    
Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That looks really nice. I've had mine out a number of times; car up on jackstands and a floor jack balancing the rear end.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Very interesting creation indeed BUT I'd think that the time, effort, $$$ and materials involved the diff could have been on the ground. They do RENT transmission jacks! In the corner I'd think you already have a floor jack -

My Grandfather I believe would have done similar to you if he'd have been faced with a similar circumstance.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Randy, doing a rebuild?
Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Randy, doing a rebuild?
Yeah. It just kinda happened, one thing led to another, starting with the leaking pinion seal. I'd do a thread complete with pics if you guys are interested. I'd even start at the beginning. Let's see, that was back in March and an intake re-seal.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Very interesting creation indeed BUT I'd think that the time, effort, $$$ and materials involved the diff could have been on the ground. They do RENT transmission jacks! In the corner I'd think you already have a floor jack -

My Grandfather I believe would have done similar to you if he'd have been faced with a similar circumstance.
Just don't call me Gramps.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Yeah. It just kinda happened, one thing led to another, starting with the leaking pinion seal. I'd do a thread complete with pics if you guys are interested. I'd even start at the beginning. Let's see, that was back in March and an intake re-seal.
I'm interested. Never pulled a C4 diff. only a C3. I have 137,000 miles on my 88 so it is just a matter of time.

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
from another thread you have on reworking a brake caliper, and showing, what looks like a horizontal mill, I say, damn - that's one hell of a shop you have there. i'm jealous! as for "one thing led to another," well, been there, done that many times. as for starting a thread, I say, do it. it will benefit most of us, in one way or another.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I'm interested. Never pulled a C4 diff. only a C3. I have 137,000 miles on my 88 so it is just a matter of time.

Thanks, Jim
Originally Posted by Joe C
from another thread you have on reworking a brake caliper, and showing, what looks like a horizontal mill, I say, damn - that's one hell of a shop you have there. i'm jealous! as for "one thing led to another," well, been there, done that many times. as for starting a thread, I say, do it. it will benefit most of us, in one way or another.
OK guys, I will get one started. I don't know how much more I can help, but will give it a shot.

Joe, well it is not a horizontal mill, but a vertical Bridgeport. And yeah, I am quite proud of my shop.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Very creative!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

That is an elegant looking solution there. If it works as well as it looks, it's a winner.
The following users liked this post:
Randy M (10-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Removal and Install

Quick Reply: Differential Removal and Install