C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Idle

I have a 1989 C-4 after some engine work it runs great but it idles high when at a light or stopped
I tap on the gas peddle and idle goes back to normal

I'm no mechanic but seems to me it's not electrical but something sticking ? needs to be lubricated ?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM
C4Coupe
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like throttle body needs cleaned. For a "quicky" clean I use toothbrush, clean rag, and throttle body cleaner. Gets rid of carbon build up around the butterfly.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Coupe
Sounds like throttle body needs cleaned. For a "quicky" clean I use toothbrush, clean rag, and throttle body cleaner. Gets rid of carbon build up around the butterfly.
Sounds like a plan
thanks so much
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Sounds like it's time to take the TB off, do the coolant bypass and clean the TB. Take the top plate off, take the IAC and the IAC housing off and clean all passages. Reinstall with fresh gaskets and see what the IAC counts are with a scanner.

I would get the engine to stable operating temp and turn everything but the motor off. Check what the CTS is saying with the scanner. Make sure it is right with an infra red thermometer. See what the IAT sensor says the same way. If both are right, rev the motor and see what the IAC counts are. Should be around 20-30. If it is higher, you turn the adjustment screw in. Rev and recheck. Too low, turn the screw out. If you can't turn anymore, you have an air leak somewhere.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:59 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BillDurant
I have a 1989 C-4 after some engine work it runs great but it idles high when at a light or stopped
I tap on the gas peddle and idle goes back to normal

I'm no mechanic but seems to me it's not electrical but something sticking ? needs to be lubricated ?
Hi

First check the accelerator cable and cruise control cable move freely,
remove the clip holding them to the throttle body.
Check they move freely, also check the outer sheath at cruise control.
Connect both back to throttle body and move the throttle body open / closed, make sure the outer sheath does not pop out of the recess it sits in. If it does crimp that so its secure.

Has happened to me before I floor the pedal, the outer cruise control cable sheath would pop out and would not go back in every time.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

TPS voltage should tell you that it is or is not hanging up.

Get notified of new replies

To Idle

Quick Reply: Idle