C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'93 40th Anniversary Vette Engine stops intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 PM
RubyRed40
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '93 40th Anniversary Vette Engine stops intermittently

Thank you first for the privilege for me to join the Corvette Forum.
I recently bought a '93 40th anniversary Vette....Ruby red. It really looks good on the outside. However, after a few times driving it around, the engine will die when sitting at a stop light....sometimes.
Sometimes, it won't start while engine is warm...(drove to Mom's, visited 2 hours, got in and no start) The battery is 14volts, there is plenty of good sounding cranking going on, just no engine firing up.
The car has 39,800 miles. The fuel pump is new, the alternator is new. The throttle body was cleaned and new gasket. The security system seems ok...(security light extinguishes when key is in ignition)
Mechanic started the car, getting ready to pull up onto the ramp to raise it, but the engine dies...then will crank, but no start. When we wait about 30 mins. the car will start....sometimes.

The other thing it does but is livable, it hard shifts from gear 1 to 2.....shifting is smoother when letting up on the gas peddle between 1 and 2nd gear....gears 3...less hard..and so on.
The engine also died while I was driving it on the highway at 60mph....(rpm was at 0) but then the engine (rpm) came back up again.
Can anyone help solve this mystery?
First Corvette owner,
Jeff
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyRed40
Thank you first for the privilege for me to join the Corvette Forum.
I recently bought a '93 40th anniversary Vette....Ruby red. It really looks good on the outside. However, after a few times driving it around, the engine will die when sitting at a stop light....sometimes.
Sometimes, it won't start while engine is warm...(drove to Mom's, visited 2 hours, got in and no start) The battery is 14volts, there is plenty of good sounding cranking going on, just no engine firing up.
The car has 39,800 miles. The fuel pump is new, the alternator is new. The throttle body was cleaned and new gasket. The security system seems ok...(security light extinguishes when key is in ignition)
Mechanic started the car, getting ready to pull up onto the ramp to raise it, but the engine dies...then will crank, but no start. When we wait about 30 mins. the car will start....sometimes.

The other thing it does but is livable, it hard shifts from gear 1 to 2.....shifting is smoother when letting up on the gas peddle between 1 and 2nd gear....gears 3...less hard..and so on.
The engine also died while I was driving it on the highway at 60mph....(rpm was at 0) but then the engine (rpm) came back up again.
Can anyone help solve this mystery?
First Corvette owner,
Jeff
First you need to invest in a FSM (Factory Shop Manual) so you can make repairs smartly, Now from what you are describing odds are you are suffering the Dreaded Intermittent OPTI-SPARK or Coil & ICM so go down those Systems and sort it out. You Tube can be a great help so use it with a FSM don't totally rely on a chiltons or Hay's they are sometimes lacking.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+lt1+optispark

Last edited by s carter; 10-12-2017 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RubyRed40 (10-13-2017)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Max Dever Pierce
Intermediate

it just was hitting on one side.
I have a 93' and did the same thing, it would just died, when it cool down it would start. It was the opti, it took me 4 hours to fix it , I only have one arm to work with. After the fix it still runs great I all so changed the water pump coupling, I think the coupling was the whole problem it was hitting the Opti

Old 01-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Max Dever Pierce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Dever Pierce
it just was hitting on one side.
I have a 93' and did the same thing, it would just died, when it cool down it would start. It was the opti, it took me 4 hours to fix it , I only have one arm to work with. After the fix it still runs great I all so changed the water pump coupling, I think the coupling was the whole problem it was hitting the Opti

this was the other side
Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Max Dever Pierce
Intermediate

That coupling cost $45 the only place I could find it was summit racing.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

1) I agree; you want to purchase the RED two volume Factory Service Manual for 1993 (they are specific to each year).

2) To me it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue than an opti spark. Particularly with only 40K on it.

I would sure invest the time to eliminate the possibility of a fuel issue before throwing an opti spark at it. You say that the fuel pump is new. Did you install the new fuel pump or did the previous owner say that he "recently installed" a new fuel pump?

Welcome to the forum. The 93 Ruby is a beautiful car
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Invest in a fuel pressure gauge. Check your fuel pressure while running and when you turn it off. You should have pressure for a few minutes after you turn it off.

Depending on where you bought your new fuel pump, even new pumps will fail or be a problem out of the box. The new parts these days are horrible.

Here is my 93 Ruby LT1 6 Speed ZO7:

Last edited by Nokones; 01-25-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '93 40th Anniversary Vette Engine stops intermittently

Quick Reply: '93 40th Anniversary Vette Engine stops intermittently