C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Quick alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts
Default Quick alignment question

I am going to get an alignment on my 96 base. I have the FSM. Are the alignment numbers listed still the best numbers for just a normal driver? I know this question seems silly but my search turned up many divergent numbers people said were "better". Thank You, Dan
Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Dan, I've never seen anyplace where someone said here are better settings than the factory settings "for normal driving".

Yes, lots of posts for "better" alignment settings for motocross events or road course driving or "quicker turn in" .... all kind of specialty things but have not seen anything that says .......hey for normal driving forget the FSM and use these settings instead.
The following users liked this post:
Whaleman (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Dan, I've never seen anyplace where someone said here are better settings than the factory settings "for normal driving".

Yes, lots of posts for "better" alignment settings for motocross events or road course driving or "quicker turn in" .... all kind of specialty things but have not seen anything that says .......hey for normal driving forget the FSM and use these settings instead.
Thank You, I will use the factory settings. End of thread. Dan
Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Seems like I set my front camber at .2 degrees positive, and the rear at zero. I also think spec says slightly negative camber on the front. I would not run any negative camber on a daily driver type of car.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Let me suggest one reason why following the factory service manual specs is NOT necessarily the right answer. That reason is because the factory tolerance on Camber (which is listed as 0.5 +/- 0.5 degrees) is HUGE! Most competent alignment shops will try to come a LOT closer to a uniform reading side to side than +/- half a degree !!!

Like many things in life alignment specs are an area where compromises need to be made. Tire life, cornering grip, straightline stability, resistance to wandering, turn in response and a number of other things all are impact by alignment angles. The factory tries to develop a set of specs that are a big compromise that will work for lots and lots of different users, that operate their vehicles on everything from interstate highways to back country roads, and they have to also make sure what they come up with is something the production guys can live with.

Personally - I like to see a bit of negative camber on the front wheels - it helps cornering, (but at the expense of inner edge tire wear). So - I normally aim to run somewhere around -0.25 to -0.5 degrees of negative camber. If you don't want to run neg camber - that's your call - but I wouldn't suggest running a full degree of pos camber either (that will cause outer edge tire wear). Tell the alignment place that you want to hold closer to zero camber on both sides.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Yes, lots of posts for "better" alignment settings for motocross events or road course driving .....:
Lol ... probably not motocross events.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:54 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

On my 84 I run zero on everything except caster (6 degrees). Drives good for the street and tire wear is very even.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
On my 84 I run zero on everything except caster (6 degrees). Drives good for the street and tire wear is very even.
Do you get any bump steer type feedback through the steering wheel when you hit potholes and cracked pavement ?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
Do you get any bump steer type feedback through the steering wheel when you hit potholes and cracked pavement ?
No, I figure since I have the super stiff z-51 springs that its quickly returns to its natural ride height.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick alignment question

Quick Reply: Quick alignment question