Fire safety issue 94 vette - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fire safety issue 94 vette

Old 11-04-2017, 05:09 PM
woody3882
CF Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Fire safety issue 94 vette

I recently had a forum question going "LED Tail light resistor heat question" where I was looking for the temperature of the 50 watt resistors I put in the tail light/directional lights on my 94. I got a lot of good input but never a ballpark temperature so I repeatedly did a bench test in duplicating the 12 volt, 1157 blinking light, 50 watt resistor setup.
After just TWO MINUTES, the average wait time for a traffic stop light with directional on, the temperature was 201 Fahrenheit
I was amazed to find that after FIVE MINUTES of the light blinking the resistor was 296 degrees Fahrenheit. (Yes 296 degrees)
The highest temperature I eventually got was 356 degrees, which was after SEVEN MINUTES....
Needless to say the resistors are coming out, over 300 degrees is the flash/melting point for several parts found on a corvette, especially when the resistors are mere inches away from the gas tank. I am amazed that they even sell these resistors.....
Jut an FYI for others.
Woody
The Following User Says Thank You to woody3882 For This Useful Post:
Red 91 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by woody3882 View Post
The highest temperature I eventually got was 356 degrees, which was after SEVEN MINUTES....I am amazed that they even sell these resistors.....
Jut an FYI for others.
Woody
YIKES!

Thanks Woody!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Hot Rod Roy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by woody3882 View Post
I repeatedly did a bench test in duplicating the 12 volt, 1157 blinking light, 50 watt resistor setup.
Woody, I'm confused how you did this test. Can you show us a diagram of how you had the 1157 light bulb, the blinker, and the 50 w. resistor hooked up?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM
woody3882
CF Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Hot Rod Roy, The set up was just a basic bench and old wire system. I used a 12v battery, a flasher, 1157 bulb (only one terminal to hot and the body was the ground) the 50 watt resistor goes in parallel with the two wires going to the bulb. Simply put, look at it as an old school project too light up a light bulb, add a flasher and a resistor (in parallel).
I used my multi meter with it's temperature probe to continuously monitor the temp.
Bottom line, it is dangerous and I believe we will be hearing about cars burning, This is what I am trying to avoid... I don't care how bright a light looks, it will never be as bright as your car on fire..
Woody

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire safety issue 94 vette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: