C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The beginning...LSx project

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Will Speed
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default The beginning...LSx project

Well guys, some of you may know me. I bought an 84 C4 back in August from a guy on here. The car wasn’t running but I did finally get it running and drove it before putting it up for the winter.
I have thought hard on what to do with the car. Keep it stock with the Crossfire, add a newer type intake, etc etc. I just want to let you know that I have made the decision and began the winter purchases.
The 84 is getting an LQ4. Today I purchased an LQ4 (6.0L iron block) out of a rear ended Silverado 2500 4wd. The engine has 120k miles, comes with the wiring harness, ecu, fuse block, and accessories. Stay tuned for the swap. I have read a lot of the threads on this swap but will always appreciate input and any kind of help with this. I plan on either keeping the 700r4 or picking up a gently used 4L60E.
The following users liked this post:
sprink94 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck I hope you are successful and I hope you constantly post any and all information you learn on the swap.

That is a swap I have long thought hard about doing with my '84. I just got overwhelmed with the process and the money kept adding up.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Will Speed
Instructor

Picked up the LQ4 today from the salvage yard where it was located. It was about a 2 hour trip each way but well worth the wait.
I’m looking at the “batwing” style oil pan to purchase next, along with the corvette accessory drive adapter kit with water pump. Not sure if I’ll need a new balancer or not. And I’m not sure which I take I’m going to go with yet.
Attached Images    
Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Why not an LS2 type oil pan vs the batwing design. Intake will need to be compatible with the heads.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Will Speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
Why not an LS2 type oil pan vs the batwing design. Intake will need to be compatible with the heads.
I was choosing the batwing oil pan because it appears to be the best for ground clearance. My car is lowered already and with the new engine I’ll need as much ground clearance as possible. I won’t be running any turbos or anything so I’m not worried about how wide it is. I also like that it holds a bit more oil than the other pans. Correct me if I’m wrong on any of my information, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Yes, you are correct about the intake compatibility with the heads. I’m not sure if the heads have the Cathedral ports or other ports. I need to get the part numbers off of the heads to figure it out I guess. I’m not quite ready to remove the intake to find out yet.

Thank you for your input 🙂
Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Cool project. I look forward to following your work.
Do you have any pictures of the corvette the LQ4 is going into?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Speed
I was choosing the batwing oil pan because it appears to be the best for ground clearance. My car is lowered already and with the new engine I’ll need as much ground clearance as possible. I won’t be running any turbos or anything so I’m not worried about how wide it is. I also like that it holds a bit more oil than the other pans. Correct me if I’m wrong on any of my information, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you for your input 🙂

I am interested in your build so I'll be following this. I thought I read that the batwing might give you exhaust trouble but idk. I also will be following your tranny adaptions. Seems like a 4l60e might be the way to go especially if you have the ecu for it. Will you be keeping the AC? Cutting the frame in the early cars seems a little pita but should be doable please take photos of the engine mounts and progress.

I am testing out a freshened up 700r4 in my 87 this week, and I don't know how many miles are on my l98 but it runs fair. My garage is tight so I think I would need a different location for the multiple engine fits required.

The car is fun to drive, so keep em on the road anyway you can.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The LQ4 came with 317 aluminum cathedral port cylinder heads. They are okay, but not the best. For your build, I would run them. An LS6 intake (cathedral port) will bolt right up to these heads.

I would use the LS2 pan, as it has similar depth as the LS6 oil pan. The LS6 was Chevrolet's first pass at the high performance upgrade the original LS1. The LS2 was the common Vette engine replacement that took the learnings from the LS6 engine and applied it across the full Vette line-up in 2005.

Have fun with your build!
Old 11-25-2017, 02:20 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a LQ4 in my vette a few years ago, and it took two days for the swap, and being able to drive it. But it took me a couple of years to get it to run like I want it to, FAST. The LS swap is more reliable and better MPG. If you do your homework of researching parts and gathering before the install it will be easy to do. Chaos did a great write up on his LS vette swap in this performance section.

Randy
Old 11-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Will Speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Cool project. I look forward to following your work.
Do you have any pictures of the corvette the LQ4 is going into?
Here are a few pictures I have of the ‘84 C4
Attached Images     
sahhas (08-13-2021)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I have 85 vette with a LQ9 for engine. I'm running the holley low clearance oil pan and the ls motor mount plates with the factory sbc motor mounts. I have a half a finger width the oil pan and the cross member. Its a pretty easy swap as far as swaps go.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike Holmen:
gman35 (12-31-2021), knikula (12-07-2017), sahhas (08-13-2021)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pictures 'Will Speed', your corvette looks FANTASTIC!!! Very nice

'Mike Holmen', you are a very talented guy swapping an LS motor into a C4 and it being 'easy' is a pretty special type of talent. You do some very impressive work!

Last edited by DMITTZ; 12-07-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Mike Holmen (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:23 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

This is kind of off topic, but in the black-and-white picture it looks like your left rear wheel has a lot of positive camber. It might be a distortion in the photo, of course, but positive caster is definitely not what you want. It might be worth putting this car on a frame jig to make sure it's straight before spending a lot of time/money on this swap project.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dimttz, not sure I deserve the word "talented" A hack might be a better fit.

Will, looks like the LQ4 is pretty complete. I think your truck accessory will fit, there was a thread on a guy using the truck set-up. If something sits up too high, there are accessory options out there. I'm using the 05 corvette accessory kit. I had to trim the hood slightly for the alternator. Using the LS swap plates and standard sbc motor mounts, your ac unit will not fit. I've seen guys use the LS corvette system motor mount system, (I wish I went that way myself). I really want AC in my car.

My LS swap wiring system didn't have any of the injector wires labeled, so that was the tricky part of the entire swap. The coil wire plug in, just remember red wire to the right side.

I think that the LS swap is even simpler that dealing with the factory sbc wiring harness and its emission junk. With the LS its just plug in, the connectors will not let you screw-up as they will only fit-in one way. I would buy an aftermarket wiring harness, its just way way easier.

You going to use a mass air flow sensor? My set-up is speed density, so no ugly maf sensor.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Sorry forgot to add I'm using the 700R with the stock converter. I reused the LQ9 flexplate and slightly enlarged the LQ9 flexplate for the 700R converter. You will need a manual converter lock-up set-up, TCI/monster has 4th gear lock-up kit.

I'm also using the factory fuel pump with an aftermarket pressure reg set to 60psi. I'm running 42lbs ev6 injectors (stock ls3 injectors), there cheap. I can take more pictures if you want.

Cheers, awesome project. Mine was a blast.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 12-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Will Speed
Instructor

So I’ve been busy researching and acquiring parts for this conversion. I know it’s been awhile since I last posted.
I got all the accessories off the engine and painted the block a nice black, lol. Checked the engine to make sure everything was good with compression and what not, seems to be solid.
A forum member was gracious enough to give me a good deal on a “batwing” oil pan, corvette balancer, corvette exhaust manifolds, and a LS1 intake manifold with stock fuel rail. I’m hoping to be able to use the truck ev1 injectors, fingers crossed.
I purchased motor mounts from ICTbillet and am hoping that these will do the trick.
I bought a Holley 255lph in tank fuel pump, the Holley accessory bracket for the PS and Alternator. They say the AC bracketed will work but I’m going to wait til the car is running for that one. I also bought a new corvette water pump since the truck one wouldn’t work with the bracketry I’m using.
Finally, I have been working on the wiring harness in my living room for the past week. I’m using all the information from lt1swap.com it doesn’t seem too hard once you get into it, but then again, I haven’t heard it run yet either, hahahaha.
Still have some work to do on the harness and some parts to acquire before I actually begin the R&R.

Last edited by Will Speed; 01-20-2018 at 09:56 PM.
knikula (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Will Speed
Instructor

Well I mostly finished the wiring harness today. The only thing left to do is build a fuse block for the Transmission, MAF, O2’s, coils, and injectors. Also need to add some relays for the fans and fuel pump. Then just have to wire in the original parts of the car to keep like tach and dash stuff. Hopefully I did everything right.
Lastly, I have some pictures to entertain you guys.
Attached Images        

Get notified of new replies

To The beginning...LSx project

Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Looks good, Have you tried to install the motor yet? The oil pan might be an issue. Let us know how it works out, I want to do a 4in or 4.1 stroker build on mine.

I would get some 0799 heads, same thing as the 0241 head without the price. 64cc heads vs the 0317 head 71cc. The compression will be increased by at least one point.

The stock Ls2 intake will limited top end power some.

You gonna put a cam in the stock LQ4?

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 01-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will,
You won't have a problem with that oil pan nor will you have a problem with the exhaust manifolds. all you need to do is bolt the LS plate on the engine and then bolt the factory C4 mount to that, and drop the engine in the bay. It's just that simple. Depending on what LS plate you have, that will be the factor of how close the engine sit to the firewall, but it will have no bearing on the oil pan.
Randy
Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

My car, I'm running my engine forward of the stock position. I didn't want to trim the firewall. Its very tight against the firewall, going in stock. Running the engine ahead of the stock position, you will run into oil pan to frame clearance issue.

You could just notch (and re-force) the frame some. The LQ4 has the rear cam sensor, oil pressure sensor is located in the stock sbc area. It is very tight area to be putting wires on. Yes you can do it that way. I did my swap over 2017 christmas break. So I went with the safe route.

I wished I had fixed the clearance issue and added the AC compressor.

Quick Reply: The beginning...LSx project