C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

relocating batwing mounts over 1 inch

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by ervinc
i may just bite the bullet and straight axle it, i can address all the issues at one time then , yes i know it will be more involved , but i wont be so limited in what i can do , i was planning to replace the dana 36 with a 44 in the future , but even that can be a crap shoot in reliability . thanks everyone for the input, i'm just going to let it ride till i can go to the next stage . thanks again .
All of this just so you can run some original ZR1 wheels? I know we must be missing something.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:54 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default spindle question

Hey Fellows, after reading the replys to this thread.. and I do say you guys sure know this stuff. Is it safe too assume that if I replace the rear spindles on my 1987 corvette with a set of 1988-1996 spindles I would be able to use my 11x17 wide rear rims with out using any spacers?? or is there other things that I would have to change?? thanks, gary
Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM
ervinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
All of this just so you can run some original ZR1 wheels? I know we must be missing something.

no , thats pretty much it. i have the wheels, rear axle , a shop that can do the work but didnt want to go that direction yet, but its looking like it would be easier in the long run .
Old 11-27-2017, 10:09 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Thanks

no , thats pretty much it. i have the wheels, rear axle , a shop that can do the work but didnt want to go that direction yet, but its looking like it would be easier in the long run .

well if all I have to do is change the spindles.. I will be looking for a set of 1988-1996 rear spindles.. does anyone here have a set they would be willing to sell?? thanks, gary
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

That's a ton of time and money spent to ruin a perfectly good IRS, just to run a particular set of wheels. Whether it's worth it is all in the eye of the beholder, of course. But damn, I'd just spend some money on the flares or buy some wheels with the offset you need (probably 50mm, like I run). Go crazy and get a whole set of 18x11s and run a square setup. People will compliment your car!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gman35

well if all I have to do is change the spindles.. I will be looking for a set of 1988-1996 rear spindles.. does anyone here have a set they would be willing to sell?? thanks, gary
In post #14, WVZR-1 notes that this spindle swap may not be a plug-n-play procedure. And from the little scanning of the big doggie mod that I did, there is machining involved.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:28 PM
ervinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
That's a ton of time and money spent to ruin a perfectly good IRS, just to run a particular set of wheels. Whether it's worth it is all in the eye of the beholder, of course. But damn, I'd just spend some money on the flares or buy some wheels with the offset you need (probably 50mm, like I run). Go crazy and get a whole set of 18x11s and run a square setup. People will compliment your car!

the wheels aren't available in aftermarket that i want, yes it would be easier to concede and buy a wheel that would fit, but i want a particular wheel which i found and got a smoking deal on , 500 hp and nos doesn't work well or long in front of a d36, in the end i will be using a solid rear axle, i can set the distance etc when putting the in the axle assy , brackets are easy , trans cross-member is easy , in the end i have exactly what i want a quick reliable rock solid c4 corvette. it all cost money in the end, its just how much and where you spend it .
Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Blown Vette
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the wheels aren't available in aftermarket that i want, yes it would be easier to concede and buy a wheel that would fit, but i want a particular wheel which i found and got a smoking deal on , 500 hp and nos doesn't work well or long in front of a d36, in the end i will be using a solid rear axle, i can set the distance etc when putting the in the axle assy , brackets are easy , trans cross-member is easy , in the end i have exactly what i want a quick reliable rock solid c4 corvette. it all cost money in the end, its just how much and where you spend it .
I feel you! I bought a set of ZR1 Fikse wheels because I got a good deal years ago and machined the parts to narrow the 1990 axles... fast forward I bought the correct wheels and now I am sitting on a set of Fikse ZR1 rims I doubt I will ever use....

If I ever do it again I will get wheels to fit the car and not make the car fit the wheels....
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
This is very common on the C4 vettes. Assuming the frame is true and square (which I will bet it is), the bodytub was not perfectly aligned with the frame causing the fenders to not set true to the tires from side to side.
It is recommended that one not make any corrections other than body work to compensate for the misalignment.

Anyways, you can only see one side of the car at a time....
The following users liked this post:
ervinc (11-28-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:57 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I have seen this in an old thread a long time ago on the forum here. A member purchased a car that had been curbed on one rear wheel and when the parts were bent, replacement early parts were used and it caused the side to be much more inboard. Just thought id mention that it might be worth looking into before moving things over and/or adding spacers.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM
vtdave577
Intermediate

I also have an 87 C4 that has the rear end offset to the drivers side. No frame damage and no apparent trailing arm or other damage. The driveshaft runs very close to the tunnel at the rear but the Engine/trans are centered up front. The car drives straight , no pulling or wonky issues with driving. Could this be the body issue that someone mentioned? Oh, and the wheels are centered in the wheel wells, not canted at all.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:13 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I just put +36 mm ZR-1 repros on my 86. It accentuated the offset to the driver side... I just had it aligned and camber is set at 0. It makes the offset more noticeable for sure, but I dont care. Car drives perfectly down the road....
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by gman35

I may be missing something here so I'm going to ask the question. If there is a difference in the overall length of hub assembly between early and late C4's (which I assume is true based on some of the earlier statements), if you sit them side by side on a flat surface is the depth where the spindle washer goes the same on both or close?
If they are different, wouldn't it require either a longer half shaft or spindle to compensate for that increase in length?

Last edited by hcbph; 12-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: relocating batwing mounts over 1 inch