C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New guy needs spare tire help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Topgun2
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New guy needs spare tire help

Hi folks,
I just joined. I have a fairly nice '85, in two-tone brown. She's got 97,000 miles now, but I put on the last 50 of those on road trips and club events. She's been parked 10 years and I'm bringing her back to life. Ordered new injectors, fuel pump, tires, etc. But one thing is really ******* me - I cannot find anyone who makes a new spare tire (donut) and I think I may be pushing my luck using the original, even though it's never been used and still holds air.

Can anyone point me to a source for either a new spare tire or an equivalent? (I really don't want to use a full size spare because it's unsightly.) Edit: the donut is 155-80-16.

I'm sure this will be the first post of several as I bring this beauty back to life. I'd appreciate any help you can lend me.

Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Last edited by Topgun2; 11-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:57 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Welcome back!

I got mine from NTB. It was not the exact size but super close. I did not worry so much as it fit perfect in the tub.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Topgun2
Cruising

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Welcome back!

I got mine from NTB. It was not the exact size but super close. I did not worry so much as it fit perfect in the tub.
Thanks! I'm a little concerned about tearing up my positraction rear end if the flat is in back and the tire isn't the right size. How close were you able to get - can you recall?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Furioso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know this to be true but I was told this week that Tire Rack has this useable spare T155/70R-17 CONTINENTAL CST 17
Maybe you should check into it.
~ Rich
Old 11-23-2017, 01:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I recall reading that some C4 owners used the spare from the last generation of the GTO. That spare was a "skinny" style and I believe that the wheel would bolt on and clear the C4 calipers.

Have you tried to install the spare on the car as though you had a flat? Might be fun to try just to get an idea of what the process is. Put the car in the garage and drain the air from a rear tire so that it's flat. Then drop the spare tire carrier to retrieve the spare. Get the jack and "lug wrench" from the vinyl bag.

Following the instructions, jack the car up, remove the lug nuts, and install the spare. Then put the road wheel/tire in the carrier making sure that you lower the front of the carrier and then lower the car, put the jack and lug wrench back in the bag and tighten up the carrier bolt.

Now open a beer and admire your work. But also think about having to do all of this at night in a pouring down rainstorm out in the middle of nowhere

The temp spares are really not designed to do anything more than get you to a tire shop where the road tire can be fixed or replaced. These spares are limited in speed and the number of miles they can be used. The fact that they may not be the same diameter as the other tires should not be a big issue.

You mentioned you are getting new tires. I would suggest that you carry a small 12V air compressor, pressure gauge, a can of sealant, and a tire plug kit. That should help with most punctures and you may not even have to remove a wheel. A cell phone and a AAA membership should cover almost any other roadside problem.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (11-26-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Topgun2
Cruising

Originally Posted by Furioso
I don't know this to be true but I was told this week that Tire Rack has this useable spare T155/70R-17 CONTINENTAL CST 17
Maybe you should check into it.
~ Rich
Thank you. I'll call them tomorrow!
Old 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Topgun2
Cruising

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I recall reading that some C4 owners used the spare from the last generation of the GTO. That spare was a "skinny" style and I believe that the wheel would bolt on and clear the C4 calipers.

Have you tried to install the spare on the car as though you had a flat? Might be fun to try just to get an idea of what the process is. Put the car in the garage and drain the air from a rear tire so that it's flat. Then drop the spare tire carrier to retrieve the spare. Get the jack and "lug wrench" from the vinyl bag.

Following the instructions, jack the car up, remove the lug nuts, and install the spare. Then put the road wheel/tire in the carrier making sure that you lower the front of the carrier and then lower the car, put the jack and lug wrench back in the bag and tighten up the carrier bolt.

Now open a beer and admire your work. But also think about having to do all of this at night in a pouring down rainstorm out in the middle of nowhere

The temp spares are really not designed to do anything more than get you to a tire shop where the road tire can be fixed or replaced. These spares are limited in speed and the number of miles they can be used. The fact that they may not be the same diameter as the other tires should not be a big issue.

You mentioned you are getting new tires. I would suggest that you carry a small 12V air compressor, pressure gauge, a can of sealant, and a tire plug kit. That should help with most punctures and you may not even have to remove a wheel. A cell phone and a AAA membership should cover almost any other roadside problem.
Thank you! I have tried the spare install and it IS a bummer. I'll go check on the Goat spare too.

The pump, sealant, plug and AAA idea is a darn good one that I hadn't considered!

Thanks to all of you for giving me a hand here!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I ditched my spare/carrier assembly 10+ years ago and it's currently sitting in my shed. I initially ditched it solely for weight savings for a Corvette Challenge drag racing series, but I never replaced it. Since I only drive the car 1K miles, or so, a year I haven't worried about it since. I guess I'll have to rely on my AAA membership if I get a flat.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
I ditched my spare/carrier assembly 10+ years ago and it's currently sitting in my shed. I initially ditched it solely for weight savings for a Corvette Challenge drag racing series, but I never replaced it. Since I only drive the car 1K miles, or so, a year I haven't worried about it since. I guess I'll have to rely on my AAA membership if I get a flat.
That spare is there for rear end collision protection too
Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

There as a very good reason they had run flats from the factory
Old 11-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts