C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Rad fan relay wiring. Runs all the time

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 89 Rad fan relay wiring. Runs all the time

Hi all. I have an 89 Z51 with the front and rear rad fan setup. Front fan (non engine side) runs fine and will operate normally when desired engine temp is reached. The rear fan (engine side) will run all the time, even when key is turned to ACC as well as while running.

I traced all the wiring to and from that relay and is as follows:
5 pin relay

85 (D, thin blue) looks to run in harness through firewall into interior
86 (F, thin blk/wht) ground to alt. bracket bolt

30 (E, red thick) from pos. battery terminal block drivers side
87a (C)- no connector, no terminal
87 (A, thick blk/red) runs to positive terminal of rear fan

negative pin from fan connector grounds to body through all black wire by power steering reservoir.

From an non professional eye, this looks to be correct. I would appreciate opinions. I know there is some involvement with the pressure switches on the AC lines, but wanted to see if this wiring was correct first. I have an electrical diagnostic book for a 91, but i've found enough subtle differences for me not to be able to track this down
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by JasBass
86 (F, thin blk/wht) ground to alt. bracket bolt
F - I'd expect DK GRN/WHT to ECM

Did you rewire this previously? A PO maybe and it's been this way since you bought it? Wired as you have it I'd expect the situation you have.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 AM
JasBass
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
F - I'd expect DK GRN/WHT to ECM

Did you rewire this previously? A PO maybe and it's been this way since you bought it? Wired as you have it I'd expect the situation you have.
PO had this wired up this way. I'm having to go back and clean up some of the previous work. Work was really well done, just don't understand why they did what they did. I've got the whole interior blown out down to the firewall and steering column, so it is a good time to work on wiring. I'm assuming the issue is with the ground on the alt, at minimum on the 85/86 side of things?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 AM
JasBass
Racer

Just gleaning from the 91 FSM, it looks like I need to track down the wire connection to the ECM for the 86 terminal (currently grounding to alt bracket). Looks like the AC pressure switches feed into the ECM and will charge the inductor to switch the circuit to ground.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:10 PM
JasBass
Racer

Just wanted to close out the post having found the problem. From my original post, pin 86 (F) was grounded to the alt bracket. I could see where the original grn/wht wire leaving the relay had been cut and a new piece spliced into it that was the alt ground. I opened up the harness and sure enough, the other half of the original grn/wht wire was sitting in the bundle. Traced it all the way back to the ECM. Used a waterproof 18 gauge connector and everything works as it should.
Next up, tracking down why the fuel pump runs non stop with the key in ACC. I suspect a similar grounding issue.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:15 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Rad fan relay wiring. Runs all the time

Quick Reply: 89 Rad fan relay wiring. Runs all the time