C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

maybe a reason for idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 05:24 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default maybe a reason for idle problem

1989 stock with auto transmission

found this. Interesting read if you have bad idle and can’t find reason why. It’s only only part of article. When I’m through being sick I’m going to check mine

Power booster breaks down eventually - especially if your brake master cylinder is leaky and deposits brake fluid in the booster body. When the diaphragm finally rips or develops a hole, you lose the vacuum boost to your braking, but there's also a more insidious problem - when the diaphragm no longer holds vacuum, every time you step on your brakes you're allowing air to rush into your intake manifold, changing the fuel-air mixture your engine needs. What's worse is that in Chevy small blockdesigns, all the vacuum used by the brake booster is drawn from the #1 cylinder runner. This means that every time you step on the brakes, you're creating a super-lean running condition in that cylinder, and that will shortly lead to detonation (pinging) and potentially damage to the #1 cylinder that will require an engine rebuild or replacement.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
1989 stock with auto transmission

found this. Interesting read if you have bad idle and can’t find reason why. It’s only only part of article. When I’m through being sick I’m going to check mine

Power booster breaks down eventually - especially if your brake master cylinder is leaky and deposits brake fluid in the booster body. When the diaphragm finally rips or develops a hole, you lose the vacuum boost to your braking, but there's also a more insidious problem - when the diaphragm no longer holds vacuum, every time you step on your brakes you're allowing air to rush into your intake manifold, changing the fuel-air mixture your engine needs. What's worse is that in Chevy small blockdesigns, all the vacuum used by the brake booster is drawn from the #1 cylinder runner. This means that every time you step on the brakes, you're creating a super-lean running condition in that cylinder, and that will shortly lead to detonation (pinging) and potentially damage to the #1 cylinder that will require an engine rebuild or replacement.
No way

Just because it is published work does not mean they know what they are talking about, too many so called experts should know better..

Firstly, if the booster leaks you have very poor braking, which means you wont drive the car with a leaking booster.

Second, On the TPI the vacuum for the booster is connected to the drivers side rear of upper intake manifold ... Cyl 1 is on drivers front and no 7 is drivers side rear. However these cars are fuel injected so it will not affect the air fuel mixture, it can affect idle a slightly high idle would be the symptom if the booster leaked enough.

I shakes me head .....

Quick Reply: maybe a reason for idle problem