C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

double trouble 85 - when it rains, it pours...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 05:03 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Default double trouble 85 - when it rains, it pours...

got hit with a double whammy yesterday - i'm fairly sure they are not related, but just coincidental -- but then again - ???

i'm out and about with the wife in the 85 - a little shopping, lunch, a quick trip to HF, and I noticed a starting issue. engine started OK, but it somewhat labored at first getting to a steady idle speed. felt like it was hitting on half the cylinders - then it would smooth out. happened two or three times - odd, because this never happened before yesterday. I also noticed a second issue. my engine temp/voltmeter kicked into auto voltmeter mode - the voltage at idle dropped below 11.5 V - display went from engine temp to volts with an idiot light. once I got moving, the voltage would go up, and at cruising speed, would run up to around 14.4 volts. at idle, the voltage would slowly drop, and depending on the amount of time, down below 11.5 volts. up and down, up and down, but this seemed to be an intermittent problem, because sometimes, it would hold around 13V, +/-, steady without issue. pretty sure it's not a ground problem, but I will clean and check grounds today. off the top of my head, i'm thinking maybe the voltage regulator. time to look into things. had a similar issue about 20 years ago and replaced the internal regulator with one from autozone.

overall, the performance seemed somewhat OK - even did a little interstate driving. when I got home, lifted the hood, and my rail mounted pressure gauge was reading 25 psi - idle was OK, but i'm down a good 10-12 psi from my norms. haven't done the "key on/2 second" thing or anything else at this point.

so before I continue with my suspension work, it's time for a little fuel diagnostics and voltage checks. I know my son replaced the fuel pump about 5-7 years ago, but i'm thinking it was a low dollar item from advanced auto. I replaced the FPR two years ago with a NOS delco unit. personally, i'd rather do a fuel pump than a regulator, but I also need to replace my EGR temperature switch, so maybe pulling the plenum is in order.

not the best time of the year, with Christmas only a few days away, so other than checking a few things - grounds, basic fuel checks, the 85 may sit until after the new year. hopefully after pin-pointing the problem(s), I can get any parts, as needed, on order and have everything in place after the first of the year. got a shopping cart order for moog ball-joints and tie-rod ends ready to go at RA, so maybe it's a good time for some add-ons.

just the joys of owning an old corvette -
Old 12-23-2017, 07:06 AM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine gave the voltage warning at idle, I replaced the alternator a few years ago, and it's been fine since. Did you pull the vacuum hose to the fuel regulator at idle to see if the pressure went up?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by 357L98
Mine gave the voltage warning at idle, I replaced the alternator a few years ago, and it's been fine since. Did you pull the vacuum hose to the fuel regulator at idle to see if the pressure went up?
haven't done anything just yet with the fuel system. I've got a spare 120A alternator that needs restored - mechanically and electrically it's ok - if anything, i've got a source of spare parts. less concerned with the electrical issue - I could rebuild that thing at the kitchen table. fuel system is another matter - not thrilled with the possibility of having to pull the plenum -
Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 AM
357L98
Instructor

85s run a bit lower fuel pressure than later models. Try the vac hose test when you get a chance. If the pressure doesn't go up, you may need a fuel pump. That would be easier than the plenum. Rock Auto has some nice, cheap plenum gasket sets if you need them. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:03 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

you helped me with my devil infested 85.....I'm sure you'll get it oK
thanks to you, i'm driving a little hot angel....
Old 12-23-2017, 08:03 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
less concerned with the electrical issue - I could rebuild that thing at the kitchen table.
If it was me, from what you have told me I would get the voltage right first, everything electrical is affected, including the fuel pump. Get the voltage right, then see if the fuel pressure is below the norm that you remember.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Joe C
Race Director

85s run a bit lower fuel pressure than later models. Try the vac hose test when you get a chance. If the pressure doesn't go up, you may need a fuel pump. That would be easier than the plenum. Rock Auto has some nice, cheap plenum gasket sets if you need them. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
- speaking of plenum gaskets and RA, about a month ago, RA had a close out/sale thing and fel-pro plemum gaskets sets - picked up a couple spare sets, so, if needed, i'm good to go -
Old 12-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by jetskibruce
If it was me, from what you have told me I would get the voltage right first, everything electrical is affected, including the fuel pump. Get the voltage right, then see if the fuel pressure is below the norm that you remember.
noted -
Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I have faith that all will be well in short order. Only a minor set back to the suspension repair. Sounds like you are on the right track.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:16 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Glad to see a local guy on here. First time I noticed someone from the coast. I live in Diamondhead and work in Biloxi.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

update - did a basic fuel check this AM - everything seems normal. key on around 42 for a couple seconds, then a drop to the mid 30's - somewhat held there with bleed off. steady state at idle - around 34 psi (my norm). pulled the regulator vacuum hose - jumped to 42+. alternator output seems normal around 13.8V. if i'm having problems, they seem to be intermittent. don't have a warm-fuzzy with the alternator, so I may pull it and give it a once over. while i'm at it, might as well clean and check some grounds.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

wax it!!!!, came home from work fri and my wife had GI'd my car shampoo/vac/detailed the interior/ and a coat of Mothers on the outside....damned if it doesn't even run better.....these 85's require a lot of TLC but it pays off....Merry Christmas ALL
Old 12-25-2017, 03:45 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
My 85 wigs out, absolutely does things I can't describe how odd and bazar they are with a loose battery connection. Flickering cluster, severe drivability, irregular idle, etc. In my case, I had an old-school "Green ****" battery disconnect for NCRS activities that was 15 years old. It had become resistive and didn't always make a perfect connection. I removed the thing altogether and the odd electrical behavior vanished.
drove down to the local parts store yesterday, and had a spare alternator bench tested, and while I was there, had them check the 85. they said both alternators checked out OK. while he was at it, checked the battery - red flag. he said the battery was bad (two year old interstate). not totally convinced. i'm going to clean the battery connections and chassis and engine grounds, before I go any farther down the battery road.

BTW fellow 85'r - MERRY CHRISTMAS!

edit: just checked my battery voltage (car sitting all night) - 12.61 volts. seems to be holding.... might just be a questionable connection - ???

Last edited by Joe C; 12-25-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:48 AM
Joe C
Race Director

might as well knock this off while i'm at it. the spare needs restored/reconditioned, a minor rebuild, and a general clean up. these things break down in less than an hour - new bearings, brushes, and a hardware kit on order. wife said sand blasting on Christmas is a no-no, so running the case through the blasting cabinet will have to wait until tomorrow (unless I can sneek it in - ).

anyway, you folks have a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Joe C; 12-25-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:50 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
might as well knock this off while i'm at it. the spare needs restored/reconditioned, a minor rebuild, and a general clean up. these things break down in less than an hour - new bearings, brushes, and a hardware kit on order. wife said sand blasting on Christmas is a no-no, so running the case through the blasting cabinet will have to wait until tomorrow (unless I can sneek it in - ).

anyway, you folks have a Merry Christmas!
It's great that you have the skill to rebuild that alternator. Looks like you're well on your way to making it new again. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
It's great that you have the skill to rebuild that alternator. Looks like you're well on your way to making it new again. Good luck!
no skill - when you break it down to it's lowest common denominator, it's just nuts and bolts and pieces-parts. throw in a FSM and a multimeter, and i'm sure anyone could do it. just have to remember - "no fear" -

snuck out to the garage after the neighborhood breakfast, and got half the case cleaned - a quick trip through the blasting cabinet, a short bath in PPG's DX533 phosphoric acid based cleaner, and a light polish with wenol and a white scotch bright...

Last edited by Joe C; 12-26-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Joe C
Race Director

managed to pull this off Christmas day without getting into too much trouble...

Get notified of new replies

To double trouble 85 - when it rains, it pours...

Old 12-25-2017, 05:21 PM
357L98
Instructor

Originally Posted by cdm747
Glad to see a local guy on here. First time I noticed someone from the coast. I live in Diamondhead and work in Biloxi.
I work at Keesler!
Old 12-25-2017, 05:22 PM
357L98
Instructor

[QUOTE=Joe C;1596249380]managed to pull this off Christmas day without getting into too much trouble...

That's going to look and work like new. Your fuel pressure looks dead on.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:37 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

When my 85 was stock it did bazar things when the battery was bad / alternator had low output.

Battery was bad when I got the car - replaced it.

Car ran funny with high beams on. Dash shifted to volts.

I did an old time test: let the car sit a few hours, turn on the headlights for 5 - 10 minutes and take a voltage reading. If it below 12 volts the battery is bad.
Start the car and if you don't get 13.5+ volts with the headlights and fan running the Alternator is not putting out enough current.

I had the alternator tested and they said it was good - it was not. With the fan on and the high beams I had >12 volts and the car would run funny. Rebuilt the alternator and the issue went away.

Now it's a carb and 383 W/6speed.

Hope you find the issue soon.
The following users liked this post:
Joe C (12-26-2017)

Quick Reply: double trouble 85 - when it rains, it pours...