C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 LT4 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 02:43 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 96 LT4 6spd

Ok. So when under heavy acceleration, the 1 to 2 shift always has gear buzz. 2 to 3 is smooth and so on. So i made sure the clutch was pinned to the floor. Still, gear buzz. So then i jammed clutch in, paused, then shifted. BUZZ.
This never hapoens under normal driving. But if you wind the 1st gear all the way up, it happens. I also noticed that when moving into reverse, there is sometimes a false lock in resulting in gear buzz until you actually get her locked into reverse.
Anyone have any clues?
Old 12-25-2017, 03:32 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

You need thicker countershaft shim washer (from zfdoc).

this is a well known problem not specific to zf.

factory dual mass flywheel did a better job dampening the noise vs aftermarket single mass flywheels.

but to me, the factory dual mass flywheel is a boat anchor its so heavy.

You need to remove transmission to do this, so its prob also good time to replace clutch and engine rear main seal (if leaking).

Be sure to use a sprung hub clutch if going away from heavy dual mass flywheel or else you will have a lot of noise

good luck !
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

The noise is as if you do not have the clutch in at all. You can feel the gears not meshing in the gear shifter.
This is even though you have the clutch pedal pinned to the floor. Now, if you really hesitate and let trans speed or engine rpm drop, bingo, no grinding (gear buzz) and a smooth shift.
So if this is normal, this gear box is not capable of the all important high rpm1 to 2 shift. That rules out drag racing for sure.

Last edited by MikieG1971; 12-25-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

The issue of sometimes not fully engaging Reverse is normal, and not just for a ZF6. Just move it back to the neutral gate and try Reverse again. No worries.

The problem between 1st and 2nd is not normal, and does not sound like the normal chatter in neutral caused by the countershaft shim clearance. If I'm understanding your description correctly, it sounds like a failing synchro to me. You can try double clutch: after leaving 1st, with the lever in Neutral and engine revs rapidly falling, let the clutch out in Neutral for a moment; then push the clutch in again and move the lever to 2nd. That should rapidly allow the countershaft to match speed with 2nd gear. But if that helps, it means your 2nd-gear synchro is suspect. This does not seem to be a common issue for these transmissions, but synchros are wear items, so it isn't impossible.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

I have strong suspicions you are right. So now i am wondering how much $$ this repair is.
Also, at 21 years, is it not wiser for complete tranny rebuild and what will that likely cost?
Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikieG1971
I have strong suspicions you are right. So now i am wondering how much $$ this repair is.
Also, at 21 years, is it not wiser for complete tranny rebuild and what will that likely cost?
I don't know, but it won't be cheap to have someone else do it. I also have never done this work myself, so I can't advise you there either. I'd ask ZF Doc. My concern wouldn't be the age as much as the mileage on your tranny, along with wondering what really caused ihat one synchro to crap out. These trannies are not known for high failure rates, so this problem would concern me.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Prepare for 2,500 or more. If you are going on, you are going to want to rebuild the entire thing. It will be a minimum of 2k just to fix your issue without addressing additional problems in the rest of the box.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Geeze for that money you could put a Tremic into it and have some choice in gearing.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Is this a new car to you?
Has this problem been there ever since you got it?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:55 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Just bought the car. Saw a 1995 C4 ZF6 box on ebay for $1500
Old 12-26-2017, 10:13 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Before pulling the trans and going nuclear on it with a rebuild, it would be a very good idea to drain the fluid and refill with a good fluid (there are several good threads here about which fluids work well). That alone can help a worn synchro work a lot better. Id oubt your clutch hydraulics are the problem, since all the other gears appear to work normally. But just in case, make sure your clutch master cylinder is full with clean fluid. IOW, start with the basics and then reassess that 1-2 shift. If it's still a problem, then it's time to start thinking about going inside the transmission.

PS - I forgot to mention above that the reason the Reverse gear is different is that it isn't synchromeshed. It is intentionally unsynchromeshed in order to make it difficult to engage accidentally while moving forward.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:08 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Before pulling the trans and going nuclear on it with a rebuild, it would be a very good idea to drain the fluid and refill with a good fluid (there are several good threads here about which fluids work well). That alone can help a worn synchro work a lot better. Id oubt your clutch hydraulics are the problem, since all the other gears appear to work normally. But just in case, make sure your clutch master cylinder is full with clean fluid. IOW, start with the basics and then reassess that 1-2 shift. If it's still a problem, then it's time to start thinking about going inside the transmission.

PS - I forgot to mention above that the reason the Reverse gear is different is that it isn't synchromeshed. It is intentionally unsynchromeshed in order to make it difficult to engage accidentally while moving forward.
This is why im asking if the car is new to him.If some dummy took stupid advice to put in bmw castrol 10w-60 engine oil into their transmission - the result could be what is being experienced here
Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
This is why im asking if the car is new to him.If some dummy took stupid advice to put in bmw castrol 10w-60 engine oil into their transmission - the result could be what is being experienced here

I know I'm late to this party but, I agree that a ZF transmission with old or the wrong lube in it will not shift properly and trying a fresh fill before an expensive pull and rebuild is a good plan. My own '96 benefitted from a fluid change.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

So the plan for tomorrow is as follows..
1 Oil change to Mobil 1
2 clutch solenoid flush
3 trans gearbox lube changed to Penzoil synchromesh synthetic
4 rear axle serviced with fresh synthetic with additive
5 realigned (cannot stand an uncentered steering wheel)
6 title and registration
Maybe even new keys.
Next events will be.
1 new wheels (ZR1 size)
2 new tires Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
3 brake upgrade with system flush
4 power steering flush
Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Got it all done. Even ordered new GM key sets!
But sadly. After driving the car the rest of the day, the 1 to 2 synchronizer is stil not working during high rpm driving.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Got it all done. Even ordered new GM key sets!
But sadly. After driving the car the rest of the day, the 1 to 2 synchronizer is stil not working during high rpm driving.
How much bronze flecks (the synchro material) did you see in the old fluid? A couple? Or did the old fluid look like metallic paint when it came out? (Full of sparkles).Also. You might want to check out the master and slave cylinder clutch hydraulics to make sure its not a clutch hydraulic issue1. Check clutch fluid level make sure its not low2. Id bleed them - the fluid will probably be black3. Id check to make sure these are oem parts and not the chinese cast universal slave cylinders that autozone and advance auto parts sell for the cars.Rule these out before saying you have a synchro problem !This is all Assuming you put the syncromesh fluid in the trans that you said.Again, there has been some bad advice that bmw motor castrol motor oil works well in the zf trans. (stemming from zfdocs outdated website - needs updated. Zfdoc usually has good advice. ) a lot of dummies over the years (including me) tried this with bad results and similar results to what you describe.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 AM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Clutch fluid was bkack. Flushed with new dot 4. The trans lube didnt really look that old. This is a red flag.
Clutch works perfectly. Its just, if i hold 1st gear under massive accelleration over say 20 mph, the shift will not be smooth. If i drive like a normal person, everything is smooth.
Who buys an LT4 6spd Corvette to drive it lika a Cavalier?

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT4 6spd

Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I would think the fact it's only doing it on the 1-2 shift is a clear sign of it being a mechanical issue and not a fluid issue. The fact the fluid didn't look that old might indicate the previous owner tried to solve the problem with fluid and when that didn't work being faced with a possibly expensive repair decided to sell.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM
MikieG1971
Instructor

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:29 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm going to put this out there with the understanding I know nothing about it, don't know the seller or anything else on it.

I saw this on the local craigs list: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...424370257.html

It doesn't list price or anything else. I do not know if it's complete or not or even if it's a legitimate ad. Just showing it as it might be of use to someone if it is real. I think it's been out there a while so who knows?

Quick Reply: 96 LT4 6spd