C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 1986 Door won't open from outside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 86 1986 Door won't open from outside.

Hi. I usually hang in OT, since I sold my C5.

'86 Coupe, passenger door outer handle inop. At rest, said handle is raised 1/8", above the lock cylinder area of the handle assembly. (not flush like the left door handle). As if something is bent.

With the door panel removed, I see that the rod from the outer handle to the door latch (lock) is in place.

When I depress the lock lever, that the outer handle rod actuates, I must push pretty hard, for it to operate.

I bought the car this condition. Any input before I remove the handle and lock? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeceli
Hi. I usually hang in OT, since I sold my C5.

'86 Coupe, passenger door outer handle inop. At rest, said handle is raised 1/8", above the lock cylinder area of the handle assembly. (not flush like the left door handle). As if something is bent.

With the door panel removed, I see that the rod from the outer handle to the door latch (lock) is in place.

When I depress the lock lever, that the outer handle rod actuates, I must push pretty hard, for it to operate.

I bought the car this condition. Any input before I remove the handle and lock? Thanks!
something bent as you said. Get it out
Old 12-28-2017, 02:40 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
something bent as you said. Get it out
It's a simple enough System if you are already inside the door, go that last few clips a Nuts and give a Good look Something might have Snapped or Bent or Jamming it up (rubber Bumper, Happened to me) the outer handle isn't Exactly made out Tough Stuff.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

I guess I have to take off the inner silver colored plate, then the lock and handle.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Anyone here ever replaced a C4 outer door handle and lock / latch?

I am working on it and trying to disconnect the rod from the handle is tough! Can't see up there, tough working w/ a mirror and light.

My other concern, how will I figure out whats possibly bent, when I don't know what normal looks like? FSM not any help.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I think your problem is the latch. If I remember correctly the handle has a rod connected to it that fits into a hole on part of the latch. Lifting the handle pushes down on a lever that is part of the latch. This lever is not returning all the way to its rested position and so it wont even hold the outside handle in the proper position. It is caught between the last time it properly opened the latch and almost resetting itself for the next time it needs to open. The cure is to hose the latch with penetrating oil and work it in. Can you open the door from the inside ?
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Anyone here ever replaced a C4 outer door handle and lock / latch?

I am working on it and trying to disconnect the rod from the handle is tough! Can't see up there, tough working w/ a mirror and light.

My other concern, how will I figure out whats possibly bent, when I don't know what normal looks like? FSM not any help.

Thanks.
If I remember correctly you don't remove the link rod from the handle. You unbolt the handle from the two nuts on the inside of the door and lift the handle out with the link rod attached to the handle. The other end of the link rod just fits in a hole in the latch and lifts straight out. I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Yes, the door opens from the inside.

I now have both rods removed from the outer handle.

I tried lubing it LIBERALLY, W/ WD40 , but that did not fix it.

I now have the rods un-clipped from the door handle and handle lock cylinder. Handle does not wan to come out. Must I remove the "C" clip, holding the electric wire to the cylinder? How on earth would I reassemble that, INSIDE THE DOOR?

i WAS HOPING TO FIND AN OBVIOUSLY bent handle. This job is a PITA, especially since after all the disassembly, I may be no closer to a diagnoses, and have to replace bot handle and lock, on a car I am selling.

THANK YOU.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:28 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yes, the door opens from the inside.

I tried lubing it LIBERALLY, W/ WD40 , but that did not fix it.

I now have the rods un-clipped from the door handle and handle lock cylinder. Handle does not wan to come out. Must I remove the "C" clip, holding the electric wire to the cylinder? How on earth would I reassemble that, INSIDE THE DOOR?
You don't have to remove that clip. Don't. There should be a connector that can be disconnected.
If the latch is the problem then your going to have to remove it in order really get it freed up with penetrating oil.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

i REMOVED THE LATCH and cleaned it thoroughly w/ solvent and compressed air. Lubed it w/ WD40, followed by aresol white lithium grease. On the bench, it is working fine.

The handle now returns to the full at rest position, unlike before. I did clear some soft debris from the handle, but I don't think that was holding the handle up, the 1/8" I spoke of. Who knows?

Tomorrow I will reinstall the handle and latch (lock) and see what happens.

Thanks again, I will report back.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
it's a simple enough system if you are already inside the door,
Not!!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
not!!
I guess I have small Hands and got good at it when I had to change out the Key tumblers because of Broken off Keys. Knuckle Scraper Yes But 20 min. out once inner door panel is off
Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Problem solved!

The latch had some grit debris in it, which I flushed out in the parts washer, followed by carb spray and compressed air. Lubed w/ WD40 then White lithium grease spray.

Blew some soft debris out of the handle, which allowed it to sit flush at rest. Odd as the debris was like wood/leaf droppings from trees. Not hard enough to expect it to jam the handle.

It's back together, except the door panel. The door courtesy light "Push" switch was in pieces on my removal. Since parts are lost, I'll figure out how to wire it to just come on and off w/ courtesy light operation. Forgoing the "map light" function.

Thanks for the help and "Moral Support"!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Problem solved!

Thanks for the help and "Moral Support"!
That's great news! Working inside a door is harder that it sounds.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 1986 Door won't open from outside.

Quick Reply: 86 1986 Door won't open from outside.