C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BCM question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BCM question

Without the original CCM/BCM that came with my car would I still be able to get a rebuilt one programmed to work like my original did? I met with a guy on Craigslist to rebuild mine, but I think he may have stole it along with my $100.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

Doubt it was stolen. Who would steal a broken CCM. More than likely they damaged it even further.

You can get a replacement CCM with no problem. But no reputable shop will program the mileage without knowing the original odometer reading.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Doubt it was stolen. Who would steal a broken CCM. More than likely they damaged it even further.

You can get a replacement CCM with no problem. But no reputable shop will program the mileage without knowing the original odometer reading.
I was thinking the same thing. Why would he steal it, but I haven't heard back from him after three days of texting him. According to him it was shipped back on Thursday, but I haven't received anything and he's only about an hour from me.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
This happens all the time. There is a remedy under Federal Law for this: Reset the mileage to ZERO, and affix a label to the door jamb with the date, mileage, and service facility's info doing the repair.

Mileage is now zero. So what. Anyone that isn't an original owner of a 90-96 Corvette has no way of knowing if the odometer in his car is accurate or not. So many CCM's have been changed, and not up-loaded with the original mileage. No reason to trust ANY 90-96 odometer reading unless the original owner still owns the car. And maybe not even then. I've seen bunches of "low mileage" (<10,000 miles) 90-96's that the engine and undercarriage look like they have 100,000 miles on them. Oil leaks, grime etc. The condition out-weighs the odometer reading. If it LOOKS like it has 100K on it, it probably does. Even if the odometer says 10,000.
I agree with everything here except I would not restrict it to 90-96. Here are two examples why:

example 1

example 2

it has become increasingly common for sellers to market low mileage odometers on EBay.

Last edited by belairbrian; 01-06-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BCM question

Quick Reply: BCM question