C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 AM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Kudos broham.....great post. I agree 100%. I bought my 1st vette at 20 years old. Full restoration multiple times. Still own the money sucking *****... enjoy. Reiterate looking into a procharger or a modern turbo. Keep me posted.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It might be worth looking at how Callaway put twins on an L98 for the B2K cars
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Lord
So after discussions of learning to weld, fabricating a setup, turbo lag, NSX vs BMW vs L98, and rear turbos, I'll reiterate the question... does anyone know if the hp performance kit is still around, or if anyone else makes one?

everyone has an opinion but I wasn't looking to start various pissing matches. I'm a 20 y/o kid about to graduate college, and I want to treat myself once I'm done. I've had an 88 auto triple black convertible l98 since I was 17. it's been sitting in my dad's garage while ive been in school. wasn't my dream car but dad's friend made me a hell of a deal and I fell in love with it. I'd like to make it my own with some more power and slap a turbo on it is all. I don't have the time/skill/money to make it myself or have it installed. that's why I was looking for a lot that I could put on it myself in the garage with the help of some friends.
Question. Why are you dead set on a turbo and not a supercharger where there is less plumbing or a stroker or nitrous?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:07 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Question. Why are you dead set on a turbo and not a supercharger where there is less plumbing or a stroker or nitrous?

Efficiency, noise level, fuel economy, cost effectiveness, peak power output.

All reasons I own as many turbo cars as I do. You can make 1000 HP with a $400 Chinese turbo now and have it outlast the vehicle (almost ALL OEM turbos, Garrett, Borg Warner, etc are now made in China). Everything else is now far less cost effective.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM
clove86
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are good points.
I'm more interested in a bolt on supercharger (procharger) that would take the place of the air pump.

I'm talking about one of these supercharger that look like a turbo. Very compact.

http://www.google.com/search?q=c4+su...=1516291377728

Originally Posted by JoeNova

All reasons I own as many turbo cars as I do. You can make 1000 HP with a $400 Chinese turbo now and have it outlast the vehicle (almost ALL OEM turbos, Garrett, Borg Warner, etc are now made in China). Everything else is now far less cost effective.

Last edited by clove86; 01-18-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 AM
aklim
Team Owner

IDK. What is the cost of a supercharger kit to make 500hp vs a turbo kit that does the same? Sure, tuning is going to be done either way so it is a wash. IOW if I brought a stock C4 to the shop and had them install a turbo kit vs supercharger kit, which is costing me less after you paid for the kit and install?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

A turbo does not draw any power unless there is a load on it. A supercharger makes boost want it or not and takes power to run at inappropriate time and I am talking about a procharger or similar. The exception is the Eaton units that are load sensing and bypass with no load. In modern computer controlled wastegates for a turbo they are programmable for just about any boost or torque level the turbo can attain or something less at speed load combinations boost is not wanted.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

More people should learn to weld. Building your own turbo kit takes ~10 hours with even the most marginal of welding skills.
Money doesn't work here. Fabricating one is less than half the cost of buying a kit.

Time doesn't either. Its a weekend project. Not a 2 year project.

Facilities doesn't either. If you have the space to install one, you have the space to build one. If you're having a shop install it, then equipment goes out the window too since they likely have the equipment to make one for you.

That leaves desire. But you're here wanting a turbo. So.....
I looked at your quad turbo cart, its very cool. Did you really build it in a weekend? Are there plans to put a body back on and make it a real street car?

I'll be honest...Your responses come of pretty pretentious and arrogant. Its great that you can build that stuff but why talk down to those who can't? Is it bad that a guy who works hard can open his wallet and buy the car he wants? It doesn't make it any less valuable or satisfying.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
I looked at your quad turbo cart, its very cool. Did you really build it in a weekend? Are there plans to put a body back on and make it a real street car?

I'll be honest...Your responses come of pretty pretentious and arrogant. Its great that you can build that stuff but why talk down to those who can't? Is it bad that a guy who works hard can open his wallet and buy the car he wants? It doesn't make it any less valuable or satisfying.

No plans to put a body back on. It doesn't need one to be street legal, either. Full cage is being done now, as are a ton of new electronics, wheels, suspension, etc. It will be street legal and street driven when done.

If everyone took the time to learn basic skills, (such as MIG welding, which can be self-taught in a weekend on a basic $300 machine), within 5 years innovation would be 100 years ahead of where it would normally be. Necessity breeds innovation.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

No plans to put a body back on. It doesn't need one to be street legal, either. Full cage is being done now, as are a ton of new electronics, wheels, suspension, etc. It will be street legal and street driven when done.
Yes, but its not a real street car...what will you do when it rains. In case you haven't noticed most guys on this site care about aesthetics as much or more than performance. If it were only performance, no one would ever care about C1-C3 again and really the C4 would be a relic as well.

If everyone took the time to learn basic skills, (such as MIG welding, which can be self-taught in a weekend on a basic $300 machine), within 5 years innovation would be 100 years ahead of where it would normally be. Necessity breeds innovation.
Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion....it doesn't mean you have to be condescending when discussing it. If everyone took the time to learn business they could easily make $100k-1m/year. The guy who makes a $1m/year or more might discuss it as nonchalantly as you do learning to weld. If he talked down to you for not figuring it out, you'd call him a dick right?

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-18-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:55 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Yes, but its not a real street car...what will you do when it rains. In case you haven't noticed most guys on this site care about aesthetics as much or more than performance. If it were only performance, no one would ever care about C1-C3 again and really the C4 would be a relic as well.

What will I do when it rains? Drive it. Saying its not a real street car when its a street legal street driven car doesn't make much since. If you want to talk about preference, then I don't care to get a little wet in the rain. With no top and doors, and a canvas cover when the rain comes, its basically a Jeep that hauls ***.

The guy who makes a $1m/year or more might discuss it as nonchalantly as you do learning to weld. If he talked down to you for not figuring it out, you'd call him a dick right?

I would be a complete and total FOOL for not asking him for info or at least considering his response, condescending or not. When someone tries to explain to you that its extremely easy to do something that you've been letting hold you back, you should listen.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

What will I do when it rains? Drive it. Saying its not a real street car when its a street legal street driven car doesn't make much since. If you want to talk about preference, then I don't care to get a little wet in the rain.
Sense. Either way, I don't see it as a viable street car anymore than I would a Polaris Slingshot. Its a toy. If I drove that to work....I can only imagine the response not to mention how I'd look once I got there.

I would be a complete and total FOOL for not asking him for info or at least considering his response, condescending or not. When someone tries to explain to you that its extremely easy to do something that you've been letting hold you back, you should listen.
So you're cool being a dick on the internet right on.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

How is it any different than driving around in a CJ5 with a Bikini top? That is a "real street car"...isn't it?

I'm actually planning on affixing a Jeep Bikini to to my Kart project. And I'm planning on driving the wee out of the thing.

EDIT: OP, I don't think there are any Turbo kits made currently. MAYBE you could look up STS. I don't think they do, though.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-18-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
How is it any different than driving around in a CJ5 with a Bikini top? That is a "real street car"...isn't it?

I'm actually planning on affixing a Jeep Bikini to to my Kart project. And I'm planning on driving the wee out of the thing.

EDIT: OP, I don't think there are any Turbo kits made currently. MAYBE you could look up STS. I don't think they do, though.

In my opinion, hobby or toy on the Jeep. I had a wrangler with a hardtop and no AC, fine in the winter but I couldn't drive it in the summer b/c Id be a sweaty mess by the time I got to work. The wide tires would throw water inside the cab if it had been raining etc.

I can drive a C3/4/5/6 to work everyday b/c I has AC, windows etc. I work in an office environment. Something I can't drive to work is more of a hobby or toy to me...Im not discounting it just saying its not the same. YMMV

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-18-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

In my opinion, hobby or toy on the Jeep. I had a wrangler with a hardtop and no AC, fine in the winter but I couldn't drive it in the summer b/c Id be a sweaty mess by the time I got to work. The wide tires would throw water inside the cab if it had been raining etc.

I can drive a C3/4/5/6 to work everyday b/c I has AC, windows etc. I work in an office environment. Something I can't drive to work is more of a hobby or toy to me...Im not discounting it just saying its not the same. YMMV

I think you're confusing 'street car' and 'daily driver'.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

I think you're confusing 'street car' and 'daily driver'.
Its a hybrid of sorts... The Callaway TT I had is a street car but wasn't a daily driver. I could have DD'd if I wanted to but who would?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I would. Absolutely. Drive it.

YMMV
It appears that they do. I drove my CJ year round, all the time/everywhere. No AC (of course). I plan to do the same with the Kart. The pleasure is in the experience.

Also, no need for AC in an open cockpit car. You've got 4/65 AC!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-18-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Turbo

Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Also, no need for AC in an open cockpit car. You've got 4/65 AC!

Try that in Central Fl in the middle of summer
Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I could say the same about medical knowledge, speaking languages, etc, etc. I could also say the same about buying tools you will spend time learning and use once in who knows when. I can also tell you about buying the software to tune your car, spend hours on a dyno to perfect your skills only to use it once in 10 years or so. So yes, if you want to learn everything in the world so you can DIY, god bless. I personally don't see the point of spending $10 to learn something that is worth $1 but YMMV.

That said, if it is a skill you often use like a 10mm wrench or socket, I agree it is nice to learn.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion....it doesn't mean you have to be condescending when discussing it. If everyone took the time to learn business they could easily make $100k-1m/year. The guy who makes a $1m/year or more might discuss it as nonchalantly as you do learning to weld. If he talked down to you for not figuring it out, you'd call him a dick right?
C1-C6 is a relic as far as I am concerned. When we got the house painted, I selected the paint after careful consideration. I had no clue what color I wanted and the wife selected it. So as far as aesthetics goes, a Picasso is only valuable to me for what I can sell it for. If I couldn't sell it, I'd take the penthouse centerfold over any artwork.

If he was making 1 million a year, it's "Rick Dick" or "Sir", to you. Of course, the sound of money rustling probably would drown out your calling him a dick.

Quick Reply: L98 Turbo