C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Fuel Injector replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default L98 Fuel Injector replacement.

How many hours should it take for a licensed auto mechanic to replace all 8 fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, EGR valve and plenum gaskets on an 85 L98 engine? I already have all the replacement parts. Anyone have a guess for the labor cost on this job?.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

So every one will have their own opinion (and expeirence) but budge 4-6 hours.

If you go to a "better" more qualified, you will pay a higher hourly rate but they will finish faster due to specific experience and tools.

If you go to the corner garage, they will be cheaper but take longer as they don't know Vettes. They just finished change the oil on the Camry and will do a brake job on the Surburban just before consulting the shop manual on your car..

You will probably end up the same dollar wise. For me? If I can't do it myself, I always go to the guy with the experience in Corvettes. He has caught a few things that I would have never considered.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 PM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I did all that on my 1985 and it wasn't difficult at all. All the info you need is right here in this forum.
The following users liked this post:
dm575 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Hello There,
I have done this job on my 1988 Coupe and it is not too bad IF you have the proper tools. The fasteners were really glued in there and took some elbow grease to get loose. Once the plenum is out of the way it was not too bad.

If you work on your Corvette already it may not be that hard for you to do it yourself. Get the FSM and have the right tools and you will save a lot of money. While I had mine apart I sand blasted the interior and exterior of the plenum and then repainted the whole assembly.

While you are in there be sure to replace the temperature sensor (Intake air temp sensor?) that is buried down inside. On my 1988 C4 Coupe I have the cold start valve down there as well. Mine had failed so I bought a used working one and installed it while reassembling the intake parts.

Check your throttle body while doing this work. It is a good time to clean all the parts.

I am glad I did that job myself, the next one will take me half the time that I spent on the first round. I spent closer to 6-8 hours on mine on the first time I disassembled the plenum.

Now with a working cold start system my car started right up in the sub 10* degree weather we have had recently here in Northern Virginia. The car ran fine and transitioned to "closed loop" just like it does during the nicer weather.

I hope that if you do have to use a mechanic that you find one who appreciates the car and respects your pocketbook.

When I took my 1968 out one day to get my state safety inspection and the particular guy at the shop saw my convertible BB Corvette he started ranting how much he hated working on "old" American cars, needless to say he never touched my "old" car.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, if they don't have it then they don't touch my car.

Good Luck with your Corvette's fuel system!

P.S. Be careful as some mechanics will charge you a higher rate if you supply the parts. They make a lot of money on part mark-up.

Last edited by ctmccloskey; 01-14-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: adding a thought
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Professional mechanics will charge $600 to 1000 dollars to do an injector replacement labor based on a technician labor rate of $100 to $125 per hour with your parts. Parts and labor quotes of about $1500 is normal from Chevy and indy Corvette garages in my area. Been there done that.

Remember, if you supply the parts and there's a defect you are responsible for extra parts, labor and troubleshooting

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Fuel Injector replacement.

Quick Reply: L98 Fuel Injector replacement.