C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Most unusual Tranny Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most unusual Tranny Leak

​​​​​​​91 Convertible, purchased from a "Little Ole Lady" who only drove it to church. Got it home, checked the tranny fluid, nothing showing on the stick. Added a pint at a time, until it showed on the dipstick. Three and a half quarts to bring it to normal.
Drove a few miles around town, then the white smoke appeared. Only seemed to leak when speed allowed 3-4th gear.
Long story short, the point of the leak has been determined to originate at the servo cap. Closer inspection by my, soon to be, new best mechanic, revealed that the servo cap was not seated and definitely not secured properly by the clip. In fact it is sitting at an angle and pretty well stuck in that position. Attempts to re-seat it are very much hampered by its location, so close to exhaust pipe.
We are going to attemp to remove the cap and I'm planning to put in a new servo kit and cap. Questions I have are, just how much disassembly is required to access these parts? Also, what is the best kit to install? Has anyone done this without dropping the tranny? Or is that not possible?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would take C beam loose from transmission. This will allow transmission to tilt down to see what your doing. Exhaust and driveshaft will need removed or repositioned. You need to take distributor cap loose so it doesn't hit "firewall" when engine tilt down. IDK if distributor itself will make contact
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I've removed the cap and servo with the tranny still in position in the car. The exhaust was removed. It's not easy to access. As Kenova suggested, if you find there is not enough room, tilt the tranny down.
The following users liked this post:
Huvr (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

I've ordered a Servo Kit from Global Transmission online. The kit comes with a new cap, which may come in handy if I mangle the old one trying to to remove it in the close quarters.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... I have removed and re-installed the servo with the exhaust system off ... a couple of pistons , a spring or two , and a few O-rings ... the servo applies the lock-up pressure to the band for 2nd and 4th gear operation ... fingers crossed that it hasn't caused issues , especially with 4th clutches ... that retaining ring is a real treat ! .....
The following users liked this post:
Huvr (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

I luckily, have a great shop locally where the owner has owned the same model since new. He has a 30 year relationship with a tranny shop near also. I too have fingers crossed that there is no damage to 4th gear. I'm tempted to just go direct to the tranny shop to see if they can get the cap reinstalled, since they likely have all the tools and experience with this particular tranny.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Very interesting finds during the servo replacement. I'll post pics, etc if anyone wants to see what mangled parts came out of it.
Amazing it shifted at all, in my opinion.
Wow, this thing is really fun to drive! I've learned a ton about this car in the past week or so, thanks to the forum members here.
I've also been fortunate to find an honest repair shop, just down the street from me here in Key Largo. The shop owner has owned more than a few Vettes.
I know exactly where to go for help locally now, and can recommend Bob's shop from experience.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Huvr
Very interesting finds during the servo replacement. I'll post pics, etc if anyone wants to see what mangled parts came out of it.
Amazing it shifted at all, in my opinion.
Wow, this thing is really fun to drive! I've learned a ton about this car in the past week or so, thanks to the forum members here.
I've also been fortunate to find an honest repair shop, just down the street from me here in Key Largo. The shop owner has owned more than a few Vettes.
I know exactly where to go for help locally now, and can recommend Bob's shop from experience.
Post the pics.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Here’s a few picks of the servo component removed yesterday. Second Pin, furthest from the camera, appearing in the photo above was the one removed. The Pin appearing below it, was the new one installed.
Obviously extruded O’ring was found on the 4th piston.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Interestingly, no springs were found on the old servo that was removed.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It appears there was a little hot rodding in the past. :-)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Huvr
Heel & Toe

Was told that PO, who's owned it 10 years, had tranny rebuilt. Might just have been a hack job on the servo.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Yup, that's an installation error.

Get notified of new replies

To Most unusual Tranny Leak

Quick Reply: Most unusual Tranny Leak