C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Loud Cabin Engine Drone Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 PM
gibsonJ200
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Cabin Engine Drone Noise

I recently purchased a 96 LT 1 Coupe (my first Corvette) and the cabin engine drone noise is severe when the engine is under any type of load such as accelerating from a start and going through several gears or pulling even a small grade. The drone tone level is perfect only when cruising. It sounds great outside but not inside! The car is like new and the entire exhaust system is solid, all welds are complete, no rust, etc. Insulation kits? Catback? Muffler deletes? Different mufflers? I am very confused and need the correct fix - the first time. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Can you identify the brand of muffler? Some drone a lot.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 PM
gibsonJ200
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Can you identify the brand of muffler? Some drone a lot.
Using a flashlight and a mirror (and reading upside down and backwards) I finally located information on the top of a muffler. "Flowmastek" and the numbers 100816 appear on the mounting bracket welded to the muffler. I went to Flowmaster's website and entered the 6 digit number with "no results found". The exhaust system may be operating exactly as designed but I can not imagine anyone tolerating that extreme in-cabin drone noise. I noticed that Corvette Central has a muffler made for the c4 LT 1 that specifically lowers the drone noise. Has anyone purchased and installed them and if yes, what is the satisfaction level for sound both inside and outside? I greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Last edited by gibsonJ200; 02-14-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:08 AM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-15-2018, 05:29 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gibsonJ200
I recently purchased a 96 LT 1 Coupe (my first Corvette) and the cabin engine drone noise is severe when the engine is under any type of load such as accelerating from a start and going through several gears or pulling even a small grade. The drone tone level is perfect only when cruising. It sounds great outside but not inside! The car is like new and the entire exhaust system is solid, all welds are complete, no rust, etc. Insulation kits? Catback? Muffler deletes? Different mufflers? I am very confused and need the correct fix - the first time. Thanks.
I have 95 with Flowmaster catback. No severe drone. I'm installing insulation in cabin to reduce heat (FL is a bitch in Summer), Should also help with noise
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I got the flowcrapper system on my 96 also, drone is bad. Bought the car that way, never would have put that system on. Not just one RPM range either, like some other systems. Drone starts around 1200-1400, goes away, then it's back around 1800-2100. I've never owned a vette before with a flowcrapper system but had one on a 92 chevy P/U, the drone was horrible on that truck too. Pulled it off & bought magnaflow, less drone but still some.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First Welcome & grats on your 96. Put them on my 95 LT1 bad drone went back to stock, Autos are worse about it than manual as you can not down shift to get out of the drone RPM.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 02-15-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Easy Solution....Corsa Exhaust. Expensive but worth it. Not sure about the Mid America mufflers..

Couldn't drive my vette without them.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM
gibsonJ200
4th Gear

Many thanks to everyone! No doubt deciding on a replacement exhaust system will be my next step including checking out Corsa. I continue to enjoy my 97 Harley FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail, Infiniti Sport Coupe and 70 Chevelle but I have to say I wish I had been bitten by the Corvette bug sooner. I am now impassioned with another Man Toy and completely out of garage space. Fortunately my beautiful wife shares the same enjoyment.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:18 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Many thanks to everyone! No doubt deciding on a replacement exhaust system will be my next step including checking out Corsa. I continue to enjoy my 97 Harley FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail, Infiniti Sport Coupe and 70 Chevelle but I have to say I wish I had been bitten by the Corvette bug sooner. I am now impassioned with another Man Toy and completely out of garage space. Fortunately my beautiful wife shares the same enjoyment.
these are summer cars IMO. Windows down, top removed, drone is not so bad. Crank some tunes and you'll barely notice it.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:03 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how far do your exhaust tips stick out past the rear valance? if they don't go past the valance far enough you will get a ton of drone inside the car .I had your problem on my 90 zr1 extended the tips out 2 inches and problem was solved
Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpro
how far do your exhaust tips stick out past the rear valance? if they don't go past the valance far enough you will get a ton of drone inside the car .I had your problem on my 90 zr1 extended the tips out 2 inches and problem was solved
This exhaust extension is likely the best and least expensive answer to your drone issue. The C4 is very sensitive to the noise getting into the rear fascia area and it is simple to add some length to the exhausts and get them in back of the fascia. The first C4s, the 1984s, had turn downs instead of straight pipes and didn't have the drone issues to the same extent. That said, I had Flowmasters on my '84 and they were OK in stock form. Of course I had spent a lot of time around jets.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The stock mufflers were also very, very tame. I had oem reproductions on my 84 and they were really quiet. Couldn't even hear the car in the house.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:46 PM
gibsonJ200
4th Gear

Originally Posted by oldpro
Oldpro you may have pointed out an easy and inexpensive fix to this problem. I checked and the top of each tip is essentially flush with the most inner / lowest recess of the rear valance (bumper) section. Standing at the rear of the vehicle you have to been over and almost look beneath the rear valance to even see the tips. Another great point that was mentioned is that Spring has not arrived and my first real driving experience with the c4 was with the windows up and the roof in place.
Thanks again to everyone for your assistance and I will update this thread when the tips have been extended - hopefully very soon!
Bob
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

I have a 1988 C4 and it was time to replace the exhaust so I bought a Chambered Exhaust System from Allen's Stainless Exhaust. I bought the standard version (aluminized Steel) not the Stainless version.

The Chambered pipes sound like side-pipes but the noise comes out the rear of the car. The whole system was a cat back system and it was easy to install. I installed a hi-flow Catalytic converter at the same time and it has worked for over 15 years and going strong.

Even with the Catalytic converter it was less expensive than some of the higher end aftermarket "Performance" exhaust systems. Another benefit is that you get rid of the existing heavy mufflers when using a Chambered Exhaust system.

The sound is "awesome" (behind the car) and the stereo works great.

Good luck trying to deal with existing drone, Look at the bright side, it is only temporary!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 482 Posts

Ten years ago I bought a 91 Roadster via the internet in Columbus Ohio. Great buy and a great car. I drove it home to Texas and the first thing done was a set of stock mufflers, the aftermarket drone was unbearable on long distance driving. I found myself avoiding certain rpm ranges. 100K miles later the stock mufflers still do the job correctly.

Last edited by polo91; 02-18-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Had the same mufflers on my '85. Loved how it sounded when you revved it but the drone was unbearable. Went back to stock which isn't nearly so nice when you put your foot down, but makes longer drives bearable.

Something that helps with road noise overall is this stuff called Frost King insulation. You can buy it at Lowe's, it's designed for A/C insulation. It's like this rubber stuff with aluminum backing and self-adhesive. Take your carpets and door panels out and put a layer or two of the stuff down in there, then put it all back together. Makes a huge difference in road noise-but be warned that you will add a little weight. It's not terrible but it would definitely make a difference on a drag strip.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
Easy Solution....Corsa Exhaust. Expensive but worth it. Not sure about the Mid America mufflers..

Couldn't drive my vette without them.

Only problem I had was after Corsa was installed the road noise was too loud from the tires. New Tires WA LA

Get notified of new replies

To Loud Cabin Engine Drone Noise

Quick Reply: Loud Cabin Engine Drone Noise