C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 master cylinder & brake mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:11 AM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1988 master cylinder & brake mechanic

I installed a new MC last year because i was having (and still do) brake
problems. I was going to bleed the brakes this year and noticed the large
reservoir was filled past the full mark and the small one was down.
Do you think there is a leak between the two? This is a new AC Delco
unit. If its a leak, what would cause it? Is it possible the booster push
rod is to long? I can rotate the wheels and there is just a slight drag.
The back calipers have brake dust on them, but i can rotate both of them.
Hard to tell if there is any drag.
Does anyone know of a honest and Corvette knowledgeable brake
mechanic in the Green Bay, WI area?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

IDK. How far are you willing to go? I have experience with Corvette Sports in Sheboygan Falls and Bill's Auto Tech in Greenfield
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
IDK. How far are you willing to go? I have experience with Corvette Sports in Sheboygan Falls and Bill's Auto Tech in Greenfield
Either one would be ok. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:19 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

You might ask them if they have any "experience" with the 1988 Corvette "ABS" Brake system.

I am replacing the brake lines on my 1988 Coupe and this master cylinder setup is totally different than anything I have ever seen in any car. By the way there is no Pump on the ABS system, it is several solenoids that control the ABS on your car. My system has BOSCH on it in a few places, I would imagine that GM licensed some BOSCH ABS system and used it in the 1988 Corvette.

My master cylinder has two hoses on it and they both go back to the ABS unit behind the drivers seat. Getting the air out of our ABS system is really not easy as there are air loops in the system. An "air loop" or "air trap"is where you have an inverted "U" trapping air at the high point. On my ABS unit there are a couple places that require a pump to push the fluid through it.

Good Luck at finding somebody with the right equipment and knowledge for the 1988 specific year weirdness.

Before you go spending a small fortune on this existing brake system be aware that you can go back to the old style brakes by simply changing the MC and the brake lines.

You mentioned that your master cylinder has two different size reservoirs. My car has the original MC and it has two identically sized units with snap on lids. You might have the wrong MC for your car. On the 1988 car I believe that the MC is unique to the 1988.

On the other hand we do have a far better emergency brake than the earlier models had.

Good Luck and I truly hope that there is somebody out there who really fix the 1988 systems without simply throwing new parts at it.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
You might ask them if they have any "experience" with the 1988 Corvette "ABS" Brake system.

I am replacing the brake lines on my 1988 Coupe and this master cylinder setup is totally different than anything I have ever seen in any car. By the way there is no Pump on the ABS system, it is several solenoids that control the ABS on your car. My system has BOSCH on it in a few places, I would imagine that GM licensed some BOSCH ABS system and used it in the 1988 Corvette.

My master cylinder has two hoses on it and they both go back to the ABS unit behind the drivers seat. Getting the air out of our ABS system is really not easy as there are air loops in the system. An "air loop" or "air trap"is where you have an inverted "U" trapping air at the high point. On my ABS unit there are a couple places that require a pump to push the fluid through it.

Good Luck at finding somebody with the right equipment and knowledge for the 1988 specific year weirdness.

Before you go spending a small fortune on this existing brake system be aware that you can go back to the old style brakes by simply changing the MC and the brake lines.

You mentioned that your master cylinder has two different size reservoirs. My car has the original MC and it has two identically sized units with snap on lids. You might have the wrong MC for your car. On the 1988 car I believe that the MC is unique to the 1988.

On the other hand we do have a far better emergency brake than the earlier models had.

Good Luck and I truly hope that there is somebody out there who really fix the 1988 systems without simply throwing new parts at it.
The p/n checks out with GM as being correct. I bled the brakes and am
going to mark the fluid level on the reservoirs and see after a few trips
if there is any change. I had a '85 and the brakes were much better
than these abs crap. Do you know what exactly has to be changed to go
back to normal brakes?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkrbkr13
back to normal brakes?
The forward large reservoir is for the rear brakes as it needs more fluid for the distance it has to travel.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Do you know what exactly has to be changed to go back to normal brakes?
First off, ABS is pretty much the norm in many cars. Secondly, the other thing that may have to be changed is the driver.

An anti-lock braking system or anti-skid braking system (ABS) is an automobile safety system that allows the wheels on a motor vehicle to maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while braking, preventing the wheels from locking up (ceasing rotation) and avoiding uncontrolled skidding. It is an automated system that uses the principles of threshold braking and cadence braking which were practiced by skillful drivers with previous generation braking systems. It does this at a much faster rate and with better control than many drivers could manage.
IIRC, I read some study that showed the old school drivers were better with non ABS since they were probably more used to it (assuming skill) and the newer drivers who never had anything but ABS, were better with ABS.

If you are like me and drive more than 1 vehicle, it might become a confusion when an emergency arrives. Sure, you can practice but are you going to do the wrong thing when an UNEXPECTED situation arrives? IOW, I think I can be old school and do it because I practice with it. When you are in an ABS car, what happens then? Would you be able to think calmly and know what car you are in and what to do? I doubt it for most of us are that good. OTOH, if you think you are that 1 in however many, good for you. I will be the first to admit I am not that good and need every edge I can get.

For a radio, WGAS. So I turn to the station that plays rap music which I hate by accident. No big deal. But brakes, I really hate to have too much difference. I can stand on my breaks and life is good. OTOH, if I did that in a non ABS car, maybe not so good.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
First off, ABS is pretty much the norm in many cars. Secondly, the other thing that may have to be changed is the driver.

IIRC, I read some study that showed the old school drivers were better with non ABS since they were probably more used to it (assuming skill) and the newer drivers who never had anything but ABS, were better with ABS.

If you are like me and drive more than 1 vehicle, it might become a confusion when an emergency arrives. Sure, you can practice but are you going to do the wrong thing when an UNEXPECTED situation arrives? IOW, I think I can be old school and do it because I practice with it. When you are in an ABS car, what happens then? Would you be able to think calmly and know what car you are in and what to do? I doubt it for most of us are that good. OTOH, if you think you are that 1 in however many, good for you. I will be the first to admit I am not that good and need every edge I can get.

For a radio, WGAS. So I turn to the station that plays rap music which I hate by accident. No big deal. But brakes, I really hate to have too much difference. I can stand on my breaks and life is good. OTOH, if I did that in a non ABS car, maybe not so good.
I appreciate your concern for my safety, but i've been driving for about
56 years. Almost in normal type brake cars. I never drive this car in bad
weather so the chances of an unexpected situation are pretty slim but
i also believe in Murphy's Law. The ABS system does work on my 'vette,
but the system sucks. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I appreciate your concern for my safety, but i've been driving for about
56 years. Almost in normal type brake cars. I never drive this car in bad
weather so the chances of an unexpected situation are pretty slim but
i also believe in Murphy's Law. The ABS system does work on my 'vette,
but the system sucks. Thanks again.
If you have been driving in non ABS cars mostly, you probably are better off without ABS especially if you think you can get something out of removing it. So the study said, IIRC.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed a new MC last year because i was having (and still do) brake
problems. I was going to bleed the brakes this year and noticed the large
reservoir was filled past the full mark and the small one was down.
Do you think there is a leak between the two? This is a new AC Delco
unit. If its a leak, what would cause it? Is it possible the booster push
rod is to long? I can rotate the wheels and there is just a slight drag.
The back calipers have brake dust on them, but i can rotate both of them.
Hard to tell if there is any drag.
Does anyone know of a honest and Corvette knowledgeable brake
mechanic in the Green Bay, WI area?
Thanks in advance.
Your issue has been mentioned on this forum before. I think the issue is with the ABS unit, some people say to replace the internal M/C seal but a new unit didn't fix that problem for me??

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nder-pics.html

Last edited by mako41; 02-24-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

My 88 has two reservoirs the same size also.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:25 AM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

back to normal brakes?
I don't know what is was thinking when i said the reservoirs were different sizes, but i was totally wrong. They are the same size.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM
pkrbkr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by mako41
Your issue has been mentioned on this forum before. I think the issue is with the ABS unit, some people say to replace the internal M/C seal but a new unit didn't fix that problem for me??

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nder-pics.html
Two interesting forum replys. Thanks. I bought my MC from Rockauto
last year and i think thats the problem. I thought my old one was bad
and i replaced it and everything else trying to get decent braking I am
going to put the old MC back in and try that. The replacement one i got
from Rockauto is an AC delco unit. GM p/n 18030897

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 master cylinder & brake mechanic

Quick Reply: 1988 master cylinder & brake mechanic