C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 windshield install question

Old 02-22-2018, 01:43 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 91 windshield install question

I took the 91 to get a new windshield and had bought the molding they said to get so now they say they cant put the windshield in because of rust near the top of the windshield that to me looks like just surface rust. They said it could be worse under the edge of the windshield and they wont be able to glue it back in and get it to hold? But the old windshield doesnt leak and it isnt loose.

They said they have to vibrate it out with a saw that didnt sound right either?

So they said take it to a body shop to get the rust fixed and theyll come out to change the windshield even though before they said it has to be in shop because it takes 2 men or 2 people.

How likely is it ill find a place to take the windshield out fix the rust and let this place come out to put the windshield in at their place?

Or will the windshield people have to come take it out first at the shop that fixes the rust?

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 02-22-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Body shops sublet removal and installation of stationary glass all the time. The problem is; it's hard to get accurate estimate with the glass in place. Glass company should be able to tell what shops they do work for. Since you're replacing glass the concerns related to breaking windshield during removal are gone. You will need to call around to find a shop. Rust is not popular with body shops. Even if you're turned away, someone there may know a shop that will fix it. You could remove interior windshield trim to give estimator a better view for a preliminary estimate.

Last edited by Kevova; 02-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

It seems that you've stumbled upon a shop that's actually had NONE or very little experience with the C4 windshield. They may have told you anything to get you in the door. Nothing in your post you mention 'they said' is correct. Did you misunderstand? I doubt it!!

Where did you buy your weatherstrip?

Look for a shop that can tell you they've C4 experience. You shouldn't need to drive to them - they either have or don't have. A C4 with the windshield still in the car and the surround weather-strip not trimmed/cut for inspection (IIRC) will show 'no rust'. Did they cut an area of the weather-strip away?

Did they maybe only lift the trim across the top of the header with the targa removed?

Reach out to Z51Jeff - he did his own or did the prep himself before a windshield in his '84. I don't know if he might have done some snapshots or not.

Just a very generic search in the C4 Community 'windshield' should get you a few hundred 'good reads'.

Do your search from here using the search this forum BUTTON

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I had a 1977 Corvette that I had the windshield replaced specifically because the frame had rust in one corner, I will spare you the details. If the frame does in fact have some rust I worked with a windshield company that will come out and replace the windshield. I had them come out and remove the windshield. I was then able to fully inspect and repair the windshield frame, you may not need to do this part. Then a few months later they came out and put in the new replacement windshield. It cost me $20 more to have them come out twice, but it was still half the price of just the purchase cost of a replacement windshield with me doing the labor and needing to purchase materials.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It seems that you've stumbled upon a shop that's actually had NONE or very little experience with the C4 windshield. They may have told you anything to get you in the door. Nothing in your post you mention 'they said' is correct. Did you misunderstand? I doubt it!!

Where did you buy your weatherstrip?

Look for a shop that can tell you they've C4 experience. You shouldn't need to drive to them - they either have or don't have. A C4 with the windshield still in the car and the surround weather-strip not trimmed/cut for inspection (IIRC) will show 'no rust'. Did they cut an area of the weather-strip away?

Did they maybe only lift the trim across the top of the header with the targa removed?

Reach out to Z51Jeff - he did his own or did the prep himself before a windshield in his '84. I don't know if he might have done some snapshots or not.

Just a very generic search in the C4 Community 'windshield' should get you a few hundred 'good reads'.

Do your search from here using the search this forum BUTTON

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/
I bought the weatherstrip on ebay they looked at it and said it was the one I need.

All they did was take off the top header under the targa thats where the surface rust was. The top of the windshield is completely and firmly sealed down right now, but the weatherstrip at the top and the sides is now out, I dont have a garage so I bought a waterproof car cover but I hate to leave them on too long too.

I dont get why the windshield in the car now can be glued down so well but for some reason they think a new windshield wont be.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 AM
s4hbange1987
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any links to a picture or video of how to install A pillar post moldings ive already replaced windshield 1987
Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s4hbange1987
any links to a picture or video of how to install A pillar post moldings ive already replaced windshield 1987
Hope someone can help you with that took mine to a different place and they didnt fuss so much about the rust they saw. So far thats all good.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 windshield install question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 windshield install question