C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You may be able to have it tested at a hydraulic shop.
good idea.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Depending on what fluid you are using it should either be clear or red not dark. Something is definitely wrong with your setup.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

welp. Got the hydraulic line looked at-it doesn't appear to have any leaks. I bled the clutch tonight, ended up pumping it for about 10 minutes straight and got it nice and firm. There were some bubbles coming out in the reservoir and it seemed to be pretty well bled. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, tested again, and the pedal was still nice and stiff.

Decided to take it for a drive. I got about a half mile and three shifts away from home, and the pedal was completely gone again-I could push it to the floor with no resistance. I didn't have to stop again on the way home, so I just kept it in first the whole way.

WTF is wrong with this thing?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Again, sounds like air in the system. Taking the line out probably introduced more air.

What is the process you have been using for filling the slave, master and then bleeding?
Bfenty (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Again, sounds like air in the system. Taking the line out probably introduced more air.

What is the process you have been using for filling the slave, master and then bleeding?
So I didn't empty the slave or the master in this circumstance-I had just detached the hose (which certainly introduced air). I reattached the hose to the master cylinder first, then pressed the pedal to fill the line with fluid, then attached to the slave cylinder. I then bled it by pressing the clutch pedal down, holding it in place with a board, opening and closing the bleeder valve (allowing some air and fluid to escape), and then removing and replacing the board. Sometimes I pumped it up a little bit in between.

I've never bled...anything before, so I got that procedure from reading online. Did I do it wrong? How would I troubleshoot this system to know if it is just air, or if a component is bad?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

It sounds like you still have air trapped in the slave. When I replaced my clutch years ago, the first thing I did was fill the slave prior to install. The next thing I did was get a one man bleeder kit from the parts store. There are also reverse bleeder kits that fill the system from the bottom, but I couldn't find one at the time.

The kit has a small bottle that holds fluid and tube that goes from the bleeder screw into the bottle. This way when you are pumping, you will not be introducing air from the bottom. Then you just have ensure that there is always fluid in the master as you fill and pump.

Also check that c clip on the clutch pedal rod under the dash. If I recall, it was a bit of PIA.
Bfenty (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
It sounds like you still have air trapped in the slave. When I replaced my clutch years ago, the first thing I did was fill the slave prior to install. The next thing I did was get a one man bleeder kit from the parts store. There are also reverse bleeder kits that fill the system from the bottom, but I couldn't find one at the time.

The kit has a small bottle that holds fluid and tube that goes from the bleeder screw into the bottle. This way when you are pumping, you will not be introducing air from the bottom. Then you just have ensure that there is always fluid in the master as you fill and pump.

Also check that c clip on the clutch pedal rod under the dash. If I recall, it was a bit of PIA.
Yeah the clip was a PITA, but I got it ok. I'm absolutely sure it's connected correctly.

I'll look into the one-man bleeder kit, I might have to do something like that. I would hate to have to take this thing somewhere to have it done as that is expensive, but I might have to.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I've had success using the below method which was outlined to me by a reputable re-builder of OEM Salve and Master cylinders (he is retired now). This method assumes the clutch master line is full and has no air trapped in it.

1) fill new slave with a syringe on the bench until it is FULL (this will displace all the internal air)
2) Remove old slave from vehicle and detach clutch line (make sure the cap is still on the master as this prevents fluid from leaking out of the slave end line connection)
3) Install clutch line end to new slave making sure slave is full and bled from step 1. Tighten connection and install slave to vehicle.
4) Suck fluid out of the clutch master and remove the line from master
5) Remove old master, install new one, install clutch line, fill with fluid
6) At this point you should have some resistance at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Start pumping the pedal and you should have a solid pedal after 50 or so pumps. Make sure to keep the master full during this.

Others (including myself) have also had success using a reverse bleeder such as the Phoenix reverse bleeder system. As we all know air wants to rise, so filling from the slave port at the bottom up through the master generally works.
Bfenty (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
I've had success using the below method which was outlined to me by a reputable re-builder of OEM Salve and Master cylinders (he is retired now). This method assumes the clutch master line is full and has no air trapped in it.

1) fill new slave with a syringe on the bench until it is FULL (this will displace all the internal air)
2) Remove old slave from vehicle and detach clutch line (make sure the cap is still on the master as this prevents fluid from leaking out of the slave end line connection)
3) Install clutch line end to new slave making sure slave is full and bled from step 1. Tighten connection and install slave to vehicle.
4) Suck fluid out of the clutch master and remove the line from master
5) Remove old master, install new one, install clutch line, fill with fluid
6) At this point you should have some resistance at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Start pumping the pedal and you should have a solid pedal after 50 or so pumps. Make sure to keep the master full during this.

Others (including myself) have also had success using a reverse bleeder such as the Phoenix reverse bleeder system. As we all know air wants to rise, so filling from the slave port at the bottom up through the master generally works.
Lots of good details here, thank you.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Got her fixed up. Swapped the entire system from a donor car since I’m tired of fooling with it. I think the master was leaking looking at it off the car. Regardless, it bled very easily once I had a working system in there. Thank you all for all of your help

Quick Reply: Clutch feels spongy and car is nearly impossible to get into gear