C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZZ409 Camshaft Sound Clips - Anyone have a video or sound clip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 AM
SLOASC4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZZ409 Camshaft Sound Clips - Anyone have a video or sound clip?

Hi Guys,

I am assembling the parts to build my L98 in my 1990 C4 Convertible. I love driving this car, and want to keep the drivability and reliability good, and perfectly streetable. I've got it narrowed down to either a TPIS ZZ409 camshaft, or a Comp Cams XR276HR. I like the specs on both as they are similar.

I am not being shallow, and just worrying about the idle sound, but it is important to me.

I have all of the supporting parts to capitalize on either cam; strong bottom end, 9.5 : 1 compression. Ported 200CC intake heads with 2.02/160 valves, springs good to .650 Roller, Etc., 1.6 Comp Roller Rockers, ported Mini Ram 1206, 58MM TPIS TB, 30LB injectors, 2200 Stall converter, Long Tube headers, 3inch exhaust with X-pipe 3:07 gears. It is my intention to build a 383 or 396 stroker bottom end next winter, that's why I went with a little bigger heads and injectors than I really need with stock displacement.

TPIS blew me off when I asked about idle and sound clips and told me that if I went with the Comp Cam, that I would be leaving 50 HP on the table, and that the aggressive ramp profiles on the Comp Cam will be harder on the valve train and have more valve train noise.

There are only 3 videos on YouTube of a car with a ZZ409 Cam, 2 are of a beautiful red coupe, that sounds ok, but IMO, the exhaust has a funky sound and makes it hard to get a true sound of the idle. The other is a 15 second video clip of a white convertible that sounds horrible probably due to the camera. There are a few videos of the Comp 276 and it sounds good.

If you guys have either of these cams, would you please take a video of it at idle, and if you want a rev or two. I would also like input on your experiences with these cams; drivability, tuning, etc. I was leaning towards the ZZ409, because I might have TPIS do the mail order tune for it, and with their induction, and cam, it might deliver better tuning results.....

Knowing what I am intending to do with the car, and the parts I am using, I would appreciate any other cam recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Adam

Quick Reply: ZZ409 Camshaft Sound Clips - Anyone have a video or sound clip?