C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where do these wires go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 04:19 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do these wires go?

I noticed this orange and light blue wire with this diode resistor on it. I couldn't find anywhere else they could go to, but I found that this connector is missing two wires. Would they happen to go there? If so, does anyone know which color goes where? Thanks. I also have the SYS light blinking so I'm thinking this could be at fault.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:20 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Old 03-23-2018, 04:22 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

By the way, this is under the driver side dash near the hood lift handle.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Could be an inline "cap" to pull bass from the front speakers. I was thinking a yellow wire is the one where it's possible to substitute a resistor to circumvent VATS -- but that doesn't look like a resistor to me. And, it's on ORANGE.

If I wasn't headed out the door, I'd pull my FSM and see what left (DS) speaker wire colors are.

Also, I'm trying to remember if anything except a door ajar causes the SYS light to flash? I'm sure someone will answer.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Could be an inline "cap" to pull bass from the front speakers. I was thinking a yellow wire is the one where it's possible to substitute a resistor to circumvent VATS -- but that doesn't look like a resistor to me. And, it's on ORANGE.

If I wasn't headed out the door, I'd pull my FSM and see what left (DS) speaker wire colors are.

Also, I'm trying to remember if anything except a door ajar causes the SYS light to flash? I'm sure someone will answer.
It did have an aftermarket system, but I got rid of it a few days ago. It now has the factory radio installed. I had to splice together several wires back to their proper place. As of right now everything is working with the radio, the antenna, speakers, and lights. No Vats problems either.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

This car is an M6? The purple and yellow are for clutch switch and the connector is missing nothing. Yellow might have a black tracer. Is it connected to a pigtail to the switch up high on the clutch pedal? The switch likely has 2 black wires on a short pigtail.

Orange and light blue no idea.

Do you have the FSM? If you follow the lt blu or orange to the next connector and not how many cavities and the wire colors it's maybe possible to help. There's lt blu 'everywhere' - lt blu and orange only seem to actually have a related connection at the stop light switch and involving the EBCM.

You need the FSM if you don't have and get familiar!

Did you ever get a CCM for this car? What's happened with that?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:12 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
This car is an M6? The purple and yellow are for clutch switch and the connector is missing nothing. Yellow might have a black tracer. Is it connected to a pigtail to the switch up high on the clutch pedal? The switch likely has 2 black wires on a short pigtail.

Orange and light blue no idea.

Do you have the FSM? If you follow the lt blu or orange to the next connector and not how many cavities and the wire colors it's maybe possible to help.
The light blue and orange wire go to a harness above near the headlight ****. The orange wire has constant power. I went ahead and cut the diode and nothing changed. The SYS appeared a few minutes later as well
Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe Reyes
The light blue and orange wire go to a harness above near the headlight ****. The orange wire has constant power. I went ahead and cut the diode and nothing changed. The SYS appeared a few minutes later as well
You need to get your eyes on that connector and ID the wires.

You haven't answered the question - Do you have the FSM? You haven't mentioned getting the CCM.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:22 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

I don't have a FSM. I haven't received my CCM either it's getting programmed. Which connector are you referring to? The picture that I posted with the connector has two black wires on the other sideso that's how it goes I assume.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I don't have a FSM. I haven't received my CCM either it's getting programmed. Which connector are you referring to? The picture that I posted with the connector has two black wires on the other sideso that's how it goes I assume.

With as many issues as you have or had with this car the FSM should have been the first buy!

Is the SPID label on the console door? Post an image of that. Does the SPID show maybe T61? The orange for sure is always hot!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

I'm sure it would have helped, but I'd still be asking for help.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I wouldn't worry about the orange (that's easily ID'd) but I'd try to follow the lt blu to a connector or a device. If you follow it to a connector the # of wires, wire colors and the order in which they're populated is important. Another good reason for the FSM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:49 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

It appears to be going with the harness behind the cluster towards the middle of the car.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You really need the FSM -

You could do this - the 'orange' is most likely a supply to a circuit(s) from the fuse box and if you pulled fuses 1 at a time, when that stray 'orange' lost power you would have circuit(s) to investigate. All fuses aren't the same so the FSM would provide you a map so to speak.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:47 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

WAIT!!!

Back of my brain thinks these wires go to the starter (at least the purple one). I'm almost sure I remember splicing into that purple wire (with a relay) to disable starting with my aftermarket keyless. It was behind the hood latch under the dash.

A couple years later, that relay started to fail so I spliced the purple back together. (Of course, there's a starter relay -- I think -- behind the center dash. Can't remember if purple heads there....or directly to the starter. I'm thinking that later though.

If you can unplug it, see if that disables the car from starting.

Still think that diode/resistor is weird. If it belongs with the starting circuit, maybe the FSM will hold the answer.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

That is a factory installed arc-supression capacitor. You don't want to remove it. You need the FSM to figure out what it's for.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
That is a factory installed arc-supression capacitor. You don't want to remove it. You need the FSM to figure out what it's for.

Really? I'm not really worried about what it's for I just thought it was aftermarket and that I would have to find where the wires go.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:43 PM
JBJrC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Roy got it. I too saw that the crimps and residue of the tape covering it are factory, but the lt blue wire threw me. I didn't recall what "lt blue" might be. So I went to my 91 FSM.

Lt blue is high mount brake light. The capacitor is across the contacts of the brake switch. There is another capacitor just like it on the brake switch connector across the white-wire contacts which is for the low-level brake lights.

None of this has to do with your SYS message, or the CCM codes.
Cool. I had removed it, but soldered it back not sure if that'll still work? So what purpose does it have if I don't have the third brake light?

Get notified of new replies

To Where do these wires go?

Quick Reply: Where do these wires go?