C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

basic radio help....Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Default basic radio help....Please!!!!

radio didn't work on the 85 vet so I ordered 4 bose speaker and a new radio....getting around to swap the speakers, only two wires to each but a white wire is screwed into the bottom of the magnet right in the center...the new speakers have a little intendation but nothing to thread into....assuming that white wire needs hook up right???? haven't put the radio in yet ....thanks....Paul

to answer my own question, got a quick response from eckler's....drill and tap your own holes....

Last edited by playsdixie; 03-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:35 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

After reading your post, I only have a million questions!
How knowledgeable are you about electrical stuff?
Is your new radio a direct replacement for your Bose radio, or a refurbished original Bose?
Are the Bose speakers you bought supposed to directly replace the Bose speakers in your car, or are you rewiring the new Bose speakers to bypass the existing Bose amplifiers in the car?
Does your new receiver have internal amplifiers that are compatible with your new speakers, without using the Bose amplifiers?
Do you have the proper connectors to mate the new receiver to the wiring in your car?
Are you planning to install new wiring between your new receiver and your new speakers?
Does your new receiver have provisions for the automatic operation of your antenna (usually a pink wire)?
How you answer these questions will help us give you some good answers to your primary question.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
radio didn't work on the 85 vet so I ordered 4 bose speaker and a new radio....getting around to swap the speakers, only two wires to each but a white wire is screwed into the bottom of the magnet right in the center...the new speakers have a little intendation but nothing to thread into....assuming that white wire needs hook up right???? haven't put the radio in yet ....thanks....Paul

to answer my own question, got a quick response from eckler's....drill and tap your own holes....
How do you know the problem was the radio and or speakers?
It could have been a fuse or speaker amp behind center console
I've swapped out bose speakers and just left the wire off without problem

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 03-24-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

the new radio is refurbished but looks brand new, inside and out.....I work as an electrician now, but not really up on radios. The radio worked intermittantly when I got the car, speakers cutting in/out with volume...

just decided to replace it all....the new speakers are boze, they are supposed to be direct replacements they look exactly like the old ....using the same harness ....going to install it today....the guy who sent the radio to me says the plugs in back will hook right up just like the old....it does look exactly like the old....i'll find out this afternoon. It's the last thing I haven't restored on the car....haven't needed a radio, been listening to those two little "cherry bombs" I put on the x pipe when I redid the exhaust.....

it does have the pink wire and connector in the back

Last edited by playsdixie; 03-24-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
the new radio is refurbished but looks brand new, inside and out.....I work as an electrician now, but not really up on radios. The radio worked intermittantly when I got the car, speakers cutting in/out with volume...

just decided to replace it all....the new speakers are boze, they are supposed to be direct replacements they look exactly like the old ....using the same harness ....going to install it today....the guy who sent the radio to me says the plugs in back will hook right up just like the old....it does look exactly like the old....i'll find out this afternoon. It's the last thing I haven't restored on the car....haven't needed a radio, been listening to those two little "cherry bombs" I put on the x pipe when I redid the exhaust.....

it does have the pink wire and connector in the back
If the speakers were cutting in and out when adjusting volume, it's a radio problem not speakers
Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
If the speakers were cutting in and out when adjusting volume, it's a radio problem not speakers
that's what I surmised, since the speakers were 30+ years old, I thought i'd change them too....
Old 03-25-2018, 11:42 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

put the new radio...plugs matched right up...but...turn it on...I get a time for about 5 seconds...fades away.....then nothing....radio fuse is ok....anyplace else to look for power interuption???? Is there another fuse besides the one in the fuse panel??

OK...finally got it working...clips in the main fuse box are getting loose....with the new speakers, it really cranks......had to drill two wires on the bottom for the back speakers, didn't have to do it on the front ones....other than than that, wall to wall bose....(not doing this again ...ever!!!)

Last edited by playsdixie; 03-25-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To basic radio help....Please!!!!

Quick Reply: basic radio help....Please!!!!