C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air cleaner lid and housing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:17 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Air cleaner lid and housing question

I got into the air filter on my '96 CE LT1 last night for the first time since I have owned it. One of the hold down bolts for the air filter lid seemed came out normally, but when I went to screw it back down, it was like there was nothing for it to screw into. I didn't have time to take anything apart, so ... what do the lid hold down bolts screw into - the air filter housing? Are there threaded inserts in that (plastic) housing? I'd like to repair if possible rather than replace.

From the service manual it appears the lid and housing (items 5 and 3 in the pics) remove pretty easily from the upper radiator support (item 4). How hard is the housing to remove from the radiator support? I just want to get a feel for what I am getting into.

I've attached pics from the service manual, and an actual picture under the hood of my car.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images    

Last edited by turtle96; 04-12-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Perhaps you can find a "nutserts" product that will assist you in a repair.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nutserts-s/141.htm
Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM
MLaw
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 53 Posts

The two fasteners on the ends of the air filter housing thread into "speed nuts" that are clipped onto the upper radiator cover (#4 in the FSM picture). The speed nuts are just stamped from sheetmetal and can get stripped easily. If you remove the air cleaner housing you will see the pieces I am referring to. If the speed nut is damaged, you can easily remove it and take along with the fastener to an Auto Parts store and find a suitable replacement. I have several extra speed nuts at home and I can send you one if you would like.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Do you know if you've used the correct length at the correct locations? Longer on the ends X 2 and shorter in the center.

The center is actually a 'nut-sert' style (M6x1.0) but is very light duty. Depending upon the damage to the air cleaner housing what you buy would be very dependent upon that.

The ends are generally referred to as 'U' Nuts or 'Fold Over' (M6x1.0) and available in many/most good hardware stores, dealers and fastener suppliers. They have various reach and material thickness.

A 12669 Auveco or equivalent would be correct or very close.

***The ends through the cleaner to the upper radiator mounting panel are the more critical and I'd think need done correctly. That's what determines the stability of the air cleaner assembly.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 PM
turtle96
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Do you know if you've used the correct length at the correct locations? Longer on the ends X 2 and shorter in the center.
The key to my issue is right here. I didn't know the middle hold down was shorter until I was researching vendors for an air cleaner housing gasket. I saw they had two listings for the hold down bolts and figured out they were different lengths. Embarrassing, but oh well. It's my first Corvette and I'm learning.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies, and for the offer to send me some C nuts.

does anyone know where I can get a gasket for the air cleaner housing? Right now I've got some hardware store open cell foam weather stripping I'm planning to use. I was not able to find anything OEM online.

thanks again!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

A correct air cleaner element installed correctly is the seal 'cover to housing'.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:17 PM
turtle96
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
A correct air cleaner element installed correctly is the seal 'cover to housing'.
I definitely agree. Is this foam seal not factory, then? Or do you have the same on yours?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

When I bought my car it had a K&N filter and someone had added weatherstrip foam. Since I was going back to a regular filter I scrapped it all off.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM
turtle96
Racer

Well, I learned why the foam was there. The air box is pretty warped, so foam is needed to get a good seal. A flashlight poked into the assembly told the story. It's sealed ok now.

Anyone have any induction kits they are in love with? I may replace the housing some day. If I do, I would give some thought to something aftemarket....

Get notified of new replies

To Air cleaner lid and housing question

Quick Reply: Air cleaner lid and housing question