C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
you know, this reminds me of something someone said not very long ago... maybe someone said a certain phrase a third time...
And when I find out who said it, I'm gonna punch him in the throat.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I think most of us are done helping. I know I am.

This thread got "turded up" in post #1, by the OP.

If you are done "helping" then you don't need to keep commenting feces then. Am I right? You don't approve of me being on this forum asking questions and explaining what I want out of my engine? Too bad. I came on this forum seeking out the ideas of those who drive the cars that were built for performance. This is all a learning curve but some of your ideas I have considered and researched so I thank those for their suggestions that I was against early on. I can be respectful even if I don't agree with you or I am naive to your suggestions but show me the same respect even if you know damn well I am a novice.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:54 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

In a lot of ways I feel like this is my fault I mean I did make the post ultimately asking for this... and I guess I'm sorry for that.

But sometimes I get the impression that mr TPIhoenix here is actually a long time member who really gets off on trolling.. his teaming of knowledge and ignorance is very unique and doesn't really jive to me. Someone who seeks information so fervently isn't normally this dense and certainly doesn't come up with this type of nonsense as a result of their reaserch. It's actually entertaining when you take a step back and realize how good he is at this.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by AgentEran
In a lot of ways I feel like this is my fault I mean I did make the post ultimately asking for this... and I guess I'm sorry for that.

But sometimes I get the impression that mr TPIhoenix here is actually a long time member who really gets off on trolling.. his teaming of knowledge and ignorance is very unique and doesn't really jive to me. Someone who seeks information so fervently isn't normally this dense and certainly doesn't come up with this type of nonsense as a result of their reaserch. It's actually entertaining when you take a step back and realize how good he is at this.
Why the assumption that I am trolling? Why the assumption of anything? No one asks to be messed with when they have an honest question to help them learn more for a passion they have to modify their own car to their own liking. Who are you to be so snub in your comment like I deserve this?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:02 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Pheonix.. tell me this? Ur trans am still stock?

Can you in any way disprove that you are a troll, or at least engage in troll ops? Have you actually done anything you have posted about in the last 3 years??
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

The iron LT1 heads from caprices and roadmasters are supposed to be better than the aluminum LT1 head and are a “port than & bolt on deal”. If your heart is set on ditching aluminum and going to iron, this would be best bang for your buck.
The following users liked this post:
Phoenix'97 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Benny42
The iron LT1 heads from caprices and roadmasters are supposed to be better than the aluminum LT1 head and are a “port than & bolt on deal”. If your heart is set on ditching aluminum and going to iron, this would be best bang for your buck.
I have considered the cast iron LT1 heads for the B/D-bodies but in so doing this lead me over to the Vortec heads which are an improvement over the cast iron LT1 heads and which incorporate some aspects of the aluminum LT4 head design. The L31 Vortec heads were designed as the LT1/LT4 was being phased out in favor of the new LS1. Also, I do believe the LS1 heads and L31 heads both utilize the heart-shaped combustion chamber and tumble effect for their power production. This all tells me that I should focus on trying to get the L31 heads onto my LT1 block, the problem being that I need to have a machine shop work those heads to convert them over to functional reverse-flow cooling ability.

I am aware of the limitation with L31 Vortec heads, the restriction in cam lift. However, for my performance goals and desire to maintain factory fuel rated economy, the B-body lt1 camshaft or something improved with a modern lobe, is what I will probably end up going with. It won't be impressive by any of your standards, it won't be something to brag about, but it will be what I am seeking out of my LT1, just a fun and very reliable daily driver that is a fine balance between improved stockish performance and fuel economy. This is what I want.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If you want the L31 heads so badly....why don't you just go get an L31 Vortec long block? Gad Damnit! There I go, helping again. That was a waste of typing!

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
You don't approve of me being on this forum asking questions and explaining what I want out of my engine? Too bad.
Yes....yes. This tactic should work well for you.

show me the same respect even if you know damn well I am a novice.
I already did. Others did too. Here's how that worked out:

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-05-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:52 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Well, at this point if you pull this off it will certainly be a torque monster!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

If you want the L31 heads so badly....why don't you just go get an L31 Vortec long block? Gad Damnit! There I go, helping again. That was a waste of typing!
Because I want to salvage the LT1 block I have. Furthermore, I imagine the custom work required to swap the L31 block into my F-body and rewire and program the PCM would be more than paying a machine shop to customize SD Chevy Performance L31 vortec heads and then to have a TPI intake extrude honed and polished with AS&M runners and then have it all assembled back onto my LT1 block. I spent the money on my LT1 block, I am going to make sure I get that investment worth, even to have the block cleaned up and powder coated.

I hate to waste things and I have grown fond of my LT1. There are ways to improve upon the engine and I will do so, as if it were a TPI L98.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Well, at this point if you pull this off it will certainly be a torque monster!
Well, torque monster enough for me as a hot rodded second-generation LT1 daily driver. I still haven't been given an answer as to how hard it would be to convert iron Vortec heads to reverse-flow capable. Too bad no one makes such heads for the LT1 but then again I am in the minority with my performance goals.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Because I want to salvage the LT1 block I have. Furthermore, I imagine the custom work required to swap the L31 block into my F-body and rewire and program the PCM would be more than paying a machine shop to customize SD Chevy Performance L31 vortec heads and then to have a TPI intake extrude honed and polished with AS&M runners and then have it all assembled back onto my LT1 block. I spent the money on my LT1 block, I am going to make sure I get that investment worth, even to have the block cleaned up and powder coated.

I hate to waste things and I have grown fond of my LT1. There are ways to improve upon the engine and I will do so, as if it were a TPI L98.
if you swap the block... stay with me here, it will quite literally drop in. Then all you have to do is the intake manifold and ignition. Everything will swap. Gm didn't reinvent the wheel with the l31. Except the timing cover. Don't know what happened there.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

if you swap the block... stay with me here, it will quite literally drop in. Then all you have to do is the intake manifold and ignition. Everything will swap. Gm didn't reinvent the wheel with the l31. Except the timing cover. Don't know what happened there.
Am I buying a new block or a used block? I am taking risks trying to throw in a used block with worn out internals and with a new block am I getting all the internals or are they sold separately? Do I need a certain PCM to run this engine or can I use my LT1 PCM? What changes to my stock LT1 wiring harness am I going to make depending on differences of sensor locations on the L31 block? After it is all said and done, it seems easier to just spend the money to modify the Vortec heads for reverse flow cooling so that my LT1 can use them and from there spend some money to improve upon a factory TPI intake. Oh, and not to forget, the necessary dynotune to ensure this new set-up works with my factory PCM. Then again for a coil-on-plug ignition system I am probably going to end up using an LS1 PCM but no biggie I suppose.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-05-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:28 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

You quite literally just swap the crap from your lt1. You drop in a long block crate with vortec heads from GM, transfer everything from your old block to the new, do your coil on plug, and then you're done. There will probably be more fab work making the tpi provisions work with your wiring harness than anything else.

let me rephrase, the blocks are essentially identical.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 05-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

You quite literally just swap the crap from your lt1. You drop in a long block crate with vortec heads from GM, transfer everything from your old block to the new, do your coil on plug, and then you're done. There will probably be more fab work making the tpi provisions work with your wiring harness than anything else.

Okay, but I am trying to weigh the cost of buying a turnkey L31 block versus spending that money to modify vortec heads and whatever else remains on the TPI intake. Yeah, I need to make some small adjustments to reuse valves, vacuum tubes, and sensors from my LT1 to the TPI intake but fortunately the differences are not that bad at all! I think I can even get away with using an '89-'92 fuel rail if my LT1 fuel lines can reach.

The block in my car is a reman LT1 so it has fresh internals and low mileage. Short of replacing those parts with low friction bearings and other components, if they don't already exist, and a true roller timing chain, all for improved efficiency, it is better, financially, to use my existing block and modify accordingly. Yeah, my intended modifications will be pricey but no where near what it could be with the extreme of engine swaps and necessary accessories. I am just saying.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:47 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

This. Jesus Christ it’s not an ls swap. No need to over complicate things.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Am I buying a new block or a used block? I am taking risks trying to throw in a used block with worn out internals and with a new block am I getting all the internals or are they sold separately? Do I need a certain PCM to run this engine or can I use my LT1 PCM? What changes to my stock LT1 wiring harness am I going to make depending on differences of sensor locations on the L31 block? After it is all said and done, it seems easier to just spend the money to modify the Vortec heads for reverse flow cooling so that my LT1 can use them and from there spend some money to improve upon a factory TPI intake. Oh, and not to forget, the necessary dynotune to ensure this new set-up works with my factory PCM. Then again for a coil-on-plug ignition system I am probably going to end up using an LS1 PCM but no biggie I suppose.
Ahhhhh.....****. Here we go down this same bull **** road again, guys. I can't believe you guys are giving this guy good advice. You're wasting your time. He's an:

Aaaaand here is a prime example...ready? Check this out:

Short of replacing those parts with low friction bearings and other components, if they don't already exist, and a true roller timing chain, all for improved efficiency, it is better, financially, to use my existing block and modify accordingly. Yeah, my intended modifications will be pricey but no where near what it could be with the extreme of engine swaps and necessary accessories. I am just saying.
How are those excuses why not to follow good advice? Oh, don't worry...there are more to come. Traction in snow, driving on hills -excuse me...."inclines". Theres no end to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Ahhhhh.....****. Here we go down this same bull **** road again, guys. I can't believe you guys are giving this guy good advice. You're wasting your time. He's an:
The question I posed for this post has still not been addressed. Everybody wants to do dissuade my build and that only pokes my curiosity as to why! Maybe in my research I already answered my own question, weld off the intake side coolant passages and expand the block side coolant passages to match the LT1. It is the complete reverse of modifying an LT1 aluminum head for an SBC block. Yes a machine shop would be dealing with iron but I would think they could do it if you have places that are willing to port iron heads.

I have learned in life that when people start bashing you in groups, they are jealous of something and trying to break your will. I won't let that happen so keep on hating with your posts. Anyone who references this forum and my posts who wishes to make similar modifications to their first-gen SBC or second-gen LT1 will have these comments and collection of insightful comments to read!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you want to put the vortec heads on an lt1 it possible but not inexpensive. The L31 heads are not better than the aluminum LT1 heads , neither is the iron version. GMPP will offers better versions of the vortec already drilled for standard sbc intake. Of course this is speculative right? Since your build is several years in the future.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:18 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

The question I posed for this post has still not been addressed. Everybody wants to do dissuade my build and that only pokes my curiosity as to why! Maybe in my research I already answered my own question, weld off the intake side coolant passages and expand the block side coolant passages to match the LT1. It is the complete reverse of modifying an LT1 aluminum head for an SBC block. Yes a machine shop would be dealing with iron but I would think they could do it if you have places that are willing to port iron heads.

I have learned in life that when people start bashing you in groups, they are jealous of something and trying to break your will. I won't let that happen so keep on hating with your posts. Anyone who references this forum and my posts who wishes to make similar modifications to their first-gen SBC or second-gen LT1 will have these comments and collection of insightful comments to read!
I told you in post 1 to gasket match the thing...

And jealousy ain't the word that's for damn sure.
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (05-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Can you modify L31 Vortec heads to work on a second-gen LT1?