C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No right turns!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Harleysrno1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No right turns!

Hi. Frank here. I have a beautiful 92 C4. Went to turn right and flipped up the turn signal lever and it fell back down. Left turns work fine with the stalk switch, right turns nothing.
I disconnected the battery, waited an hour then removed the airbag, the airbag disc, star plate. I removed the turn signal switch and it works fine left or right by moving it with my fingers.
What else can be broken that is not allowing me to have right turn signals? I’m lost.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... A bad bulb ? .....
Old 05-12-2018, 01:03 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... A bad bulb ? .....
That actually made me laugh
Old 05-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Harleysrno1
6th Gear

Default No right turns!

Frank here. The “bad bulb” one made me laugh as well. May I add, when I put the right turn in the up position, the switch didn’t stay up - it fell back to the center. There is a lot of slop in the up position. Something inside definitely broke and it’s not a bulb (haha) and not the turn signal switch.
To answer question 2. The ign switch had to be removed in order for the outer column to come towards me, to loosen the turn signal switch itself.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

It has to be in the plastic cam mechanism somewhere, right?

I mean, that's what provides the snap and reset action for the lever..
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleysrno1
Frank here. The “bad bulb” one made me laugh as well. May I add, when I put the right turn in the up position, the switch didn’t stay up - it fell back to the center. There is a lot of slop in the up position. Something inside definitely broke and it’s not a bulb (haha) and not the turn signal switch.
To answer question 2. The ign switch had to be removed in order for the outer column to come towards me, to loosen the turn signal switch itself.
..... ... Glad that I could provide some levity during your dilemma ... its just that over the years , I have encountered numerous people who seem to seek out the most absurdly complicated ways to fix little things while totally overlooking the most basic items ... The bulb thing popped into my head when I saw the pic of your steering column's guts ... that's a complex place when you consider how much electrical and mechanical stuff is crammed in there and expected to last for years ... replace the turn signal switch assembly ... tie some dental floss around the harness connector before you pull it out so you can "fish" it back through .....

Last edited by C409; 05-12-2018 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I'll bet it's this. Happens to all of us eventually. That broken piece from the wiper switch moves the turn signal switch assy

Last edited by belairbrian; 05-13-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:34 PM
Harleysrno1
6th Gear

Default Problem Solved!

You hit it exactly. That small piece did come flying out when it all broke. There is also a clip that came out as well. Is this piece replaceable? Where do I get it? Thanks a million. Frank
Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Harleysrno1
6th Gear

Default Found the part.

It’s actually the wiper / washer switch they call it. A tad expensive but it’s out there. I see it on Rock Auto.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleysrno1
You hit it exactly. That small piece did come flying out when it all broke. There is also a clip that came out as well. Is this piece replaceable? Where do I get it? Thanks a million. Frank
Was it just the piece of metal the roller rides on. Look closely on the broken off piece there is a strip of metal that looks like a clip. It will already be on the new one.

the real trick is changing it. It pivots on a pin. You have to take the column cover off so you were going to take the lock assy out anyway.

The wires run down the bottom of the column. Tie a string to them to help pull the new one through.

There is a small piece that pushes the dimmer rod and it's not held in by anything. It falls out easily when you remove the switch.

Best advice I could give is take a part off, take a picture. Repeat till you have it far enough apart to change the switch.

You want GM 26015119 or AC Delco D6395C

In case you don't have a FSM this link has a good picture of how every thing fits together.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...chString=wiper

Get notified of new replies

To No right turns!

Quick Reply: No right turns!