C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Early C4 Cassette player

Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Early C4 Cassette player

Does the cassette player on early C4s have a belt that drives the wheels on the deck or gears. I have taken mine out looked inside as best I could without totally dismantling it and do not see any belt. My take deck has stopped working.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Does the cassette player on early C4s have a belt that drives the wheels on the deck or gears. I have taken mine out looked inside as best I could without totally dismantling it and do not see any belt. My take deck has stopped working.
Yes, there are 2 belts in those cassettes. Unfortunately, that's not why they usually quit working. Other internal issues that are very difficult to fix because there have been no parts made for it in 2 decades
Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The belts are findable but, as Cruisinfanatic says, that's not the real problem.

A few years ago, I really wanted to get my cassette working. However, I found that, among other things, the auto reverse is a fatally flawed design and there aren't readily available, easy to install parts to fix it.

In the course of my study, I found that there were some places I could send it for an attempted fix, but when I contacted those places they indicated that:

1. It was going to be an expensive, custom repair.
2. There is no guarantee that the repair would work (but I would have to pay either way)
3. If the repair did work, there was no guarantee as to how long it would work.

So, despite my enthusiasm for the project, I ended up giving up on it and now just use a bluetooth that broadcasts to an FM channel.

I think the only way repairing the cassette makes sense is if you have the money and want a concourse-winning car with the original sound system.

Neither of those applied to me.

(Edit: I should note that I was looking into this about five years ago, so it's possible that there is a new resource to fix them that I don't know about.)

Last edited by Jim Rogers; 05-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

found a guy on e bay..in British Columbia..sells 1895 refurbished radio w/cassette....looked all brand new to me.....same as stock....works great, but it costs.450 bucks.....

Get notified of new replies

To Early C4 Cassette player

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early C4 Cassette player