C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Set New Record For AC Delco Fuel Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:11 PM
wtn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Set New Record For AC Delco Fuel Pump Failure

Really hard to believe. 1995 Corvette Coupe LT1 6 Speed. Fuel pump went out (60K) so I found an AC Delco EP376 on Ebay for $42 - which is fishy cheap since it came with the filter sock. Research shows that this is an AC/Delco "Advantage" part. When it arrived I noticed it was made in China. I did not want to put a MIC fuel pump in my vette, so I found the EP376 AC/Delco "OEM" part for $60 at AutoZone. I kept the MIC EP376 since I did not want to pay to return it (not worth it) and plus I used the fuel filter sock that came with it. Installed the OEM unit, drove one mile to get it inspected (ASM test on dyno), drove one mile home and parked it in driveway. I ordered parts to rebuild my alternator - took a week to get them - put the rebuilt alternator back on and tried to start the car. No fuel pump sound. No way. 12v directly to fuel pump harness - nothing. Pulled the pump and it is dead. Just returned it to AZ and I am waiting for another one to arrive. I am tempted to just install the MIC EP376 and give it a try, but I have not decided yet. It would really be a pisser if the fuel pump replace was not from the top "easy" on the C4. Anyway, thought I would share my story.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It is really good that this was a C4 and not a Third Gen Camaro... you didn't have to drain and drop the tank. All the same, not fun to get a faulty "new" part. Good luck with the replacement!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought on eBay an AC Delco pump made in Mexico, have 750 miles on it so far with no problems. Same price if I remember (40-ish) eBay pump will prob work just fine. If not, 30 minute fix lol
Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 AM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
It is really good that this was a C4 and not a Third Gen Camaro... you didn't have to drain and drop the tank. All the same, not fun to get a faulty "new" part. Good luck with the replacement!
A little patience and a dremel fixes that. Both my 4th gen birds have an access door over the tank. Few more steps than the C4 but no dropped tanks.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

these friggin things seem to be made all over the place - my 85's ACD fuel pump, #EP241 (GM #25116163) was made in brazil -
Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 AM
wtn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
these friggin things seem to be made all over the place - my 85's ACD fuel pump, #EP241 (GM #25116163) was made in brazil -
Yep. Can't wait to see where the new OEM pump was made. It has to be Mexico or Brazil. Whatever the outcome, I will have a spare new one to carry around in the car with a set of tools to change it. After initially getting the fuel lines loose ( a bear) it's not bad the second time. Took about 20 minutes. I'll report back later. BTW - Those orange twist on wire nut connectors work great for plugging the fuel line and return hose while removing the pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Set New Record For AC Delco Fuel Pump Failure

Quick Reply: Set New Record For AC Delco Fuel Pump Failure