C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

gas guage incorrect after replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:08 PM
preacher putz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gas guage incorrect after replacing fuel pump

Fuel pump went bad (96/auto) after replacing the car ran fine, but the fuel guage is way off. Full tank should read about 350 miles,
it only reads about 275
Almost empty only will take about 11 gallons of gas.

So tried another new fuel pump, the same thing. Tried disconnecting the battery, Still seems way off. Anyone have any ideas???

tks preacher putz

PS These were complete assemblies of pump and fuel guage
Old 05-19-2018, 12:26 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Is the resistance correct?

Are they touching the bottom of the tank at the end of their range, and does the gauge correspond to that?

If not, perhaps they became bent during assembly or shipping?

Last edited by confab; 05-19-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

If you only replaced the fuel pump then there are really two options; your arm is bent or your sending unit was disturbed enough during install to read wonky.

If it were me, I'd take out the unit and bench test the movement of the arm in relationhsip to your gas gauge. Move it slowly as it needs a moent r two to pick up a reading. a bend here or therre may make a difference.

If that does not work, you may have to take apart the sending unit to clean it. I've done it several times and it is not that hard. The big think it to clean the contact point and gentely (gently) clean the wire coils. Clean with WD40 and a cotton ball wiping with the wire direction. Never use sand paper.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 05-19-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

It sounds like you might have a problem with your ground that works with your gas gauge. If the unit does not have a "Good Ground" then the gauge will read incorrect information. As I recall the wires going to the fuel pump on my 1988 Coupe had three wires, Black, Purple and Red. The fuel pump gets 12 volts from the Red wire, the purple wire is the fuel gauge wire and then the last wire is the (0 volts) ground for the pump.

I also found a ground wire attached to the fuel tank directly on my car.

There are several grounds that have an effect in this part of the car. Check the ground strap on the drivers side behind the door where it grounds the area around the power antenna. When my antenna was acting up the I saw a broken ground strap, after replacing it the antenna and other things started working properly.

Good Luck and I hope you find an easy fix!

P.S. If you want to clean the contacts on the fuel sending unit use a pencil eraser. It is a gentle way of cleaning any electrical connector.

Last edited by ctmccloskey; 05-22-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Take the assembly out and inspect the purple wire, that is the gauge sender wire. Make sure its properly connected to the level. If it comes loose completely the gauge will probably read full tank all the time. It may also have a poor ground and may be time to replace the connectors unless you bought that all as one piece, in which case the ground is faulty somewhere else.

Also make sure you didn't bend the lever arm at all and that it sits into the tray correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To gas guage incorrect after replacing fuel pump

Quick Reply: gas guage incorrect after replacing fuel pump