C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjusted TPS to 0.54, now idles at 1300

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:39 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JasBass
Just a standard regular filter. So apparently Advance no longer stocks Bosch MAFs for this car. So I have a store credit and need to choose between a Spectra, Cardone, and Carquest. Spectra/Carquest are new units and Cardone is remanu. It kinda seems like the forum feedback on these varies case by case. I could always keep the store credit and source elsewhere. Any feedback on brands?

I can't think of any other reason other than the MAF being bad that would cause it to idle high like that. I know pulling the MAF kicks it into a standard fueling map that guesstimates engine needs. But I'm curious if the issue is going to be a closed loop issue where one of the inputs could be bad. But the only two that come to mind would be 02 and MAF (with 02, MAF, IAT, CTS being the main players). I'm assuming the MAF is showing more air flow than what is actually flowing so the ECM is adding more fuel to compensate and leading to higher RPM. Journey, what a journey
I think so long as any of those brands have a warranty to cover a lemon, you should be good. I agree with your deduction on the MAF. Crazy that this is most likely bad, as well as the TPS. The worst issues to hunt are two separate issues that manifest in similar ways.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I have had a K$N filter for a few years now, never had a problem with any oil, the ring did break off and I epoxy'd it back on. I do clean it regularly with this.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
I think so long as any of those brands have a warranty to cover a lemon, you should be good. I agree with your deduction on the MAF. Crazy that this is most likely bad, as well as the TPS. The worst issues to hunt are two separate issues that manifest in similar ways.
Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday for a replacement. I'm going to go with the Spectra. They seem to have the best reviews. I did fiddle with the car some. Removed the MAF and just let the car idle in the driveway and it rock solid holds a healthy 800 idle. Runs rich, but it idles like a champ

Originally Posted by xrav22
I have had a K$N filter for a few years now, never had a problem with any oil, the ring did break off and I epoxy'd it back on. I do clean it regularly with this.
I had some QD and hit it with the QD and it had no change. Figured why not try. I think this unit just crapped out. The Spectra touts it has a super durable circuit board, so i'll roll the dice...
Old 06-17-2018, 02:20 AM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday for a replacement. I'm going to go with the Spectra. They seem to have the best reviews. I did fiddle with the car some. Removed the MAF and just let the car idle in the driveway and it rock solid holds a healthy 800 idle. Runs rich, but it idles like a champ

I had some QD and hit it with the QD and it had no change. Figured why not try. I think this unit just crapped out. The Spectra touts it has a super durable circuit board, so i'll roll the dice...
At this point, I'm wondering if crossing my fingers is cursing you.. either way, here's hoping this gets it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM
JasBass
Racer

I'm defeated. New Spectra MAF and same result. I traced all of the MAF wiring and it has passed the visual test. While running, unplugged o2, CTS, IAT, all with no change to the 1500 idle. Even unplugging MAF at this point only dropped it to 1000. Went through IAC reset process again, no change.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is that I have a bad ECM/PROM that is causing the issue. I did read some time back that when ECMs go bad, they tend to be temperature sensitive. The only real variable in the car between last month and now is that the temps are now in the 90s here in NC. I might try the old refrigerator trick where you let the ECM chill out in the fridge for like an hour and then pop it in the car and see if it behaves different. I'll post a new thread and see if we can get some more heads in on this. I can't thank you all enough for all of your time up to this point. I still welcome thoughts my friends
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

So you say on your idle adjust procedure you get the car at 450rpms (barely running) as called for, and when you plug the iac back in and restart it shoots up to 1500 rpms. I don't see how but I am interested. There has to be a code.

Last edited by xrav22; 06-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

I'm defeated. New Spectra MAF and same result. I traced all of the MAF wiring and it has passed the visual test. While running, unplugged o2, CTS, IAT, all with no change to the 1500 idle. Even unplugging MAF at this point only dropped it to 1000. Went through IAC reset process again, no change.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is that I have a bad ECM/PROM that is causing the issue. I did read some time back that when ECMs go bad, they tend to be temperature sensitive. The only real variable in the car between last month and now is that the temps are now in the 90s here in NC. I might try the old refrigerator trick where you let the ECM chill out in the fridge for like an hour and then pop it in the car and see if it behaves different. I'll post a new thread and see if we can get some more heads in on this. I can't thank you all enough for all of your time up to this point. I still welcome thoughts my friends
Wow. That's annoying. At this point it might as well be the ECM. Quite a head scratcher. I'll keep an eye out for your new post, I'm rooting for you to get it fixed!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 PM
JasBass
Racer

Originally Posted by xrav22
So you say on your idle adjust procedure you get the car at 450rpms (barely running) as called for, and when you plug the iac back in and restart it shoots up to 1500 rpms. I don't see how but I am interested. There has to be a code.
Yessir. I get it settled right where the tac will bounce between 4-5. Key off, reconnect IAC, restart, car will idle nice until I give it the first rev and then when coming off rev, it'll settle on 1500.

Wow. That's annoying. At this point it might as well be the ECM. Quite a head scratcher. I'll keep an eye out for your new post, I'm rooting for you to get it fixed!
Thanks man, we'll get this thing figured out soon enough. I just hope this doesn't turn me bitter on the C4s. If this were an LS with modern controllers, etc., i'd be all over it. I was committed to learning the older tech for "fun projects" but this has sorta crossed over the fun line
Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Yessir. I get it settled right where the tac will bounce between 4-5. Key off, reconnect IAC, restart, car will idle nice until I give it the first rev and then when coming off rev, it'll settle on 1500.

Thanks man, we'll get this thing figured out soon enough. I just hope this doesn't turn me bitter on the C4s. If this were an LS with modern controllers, etc., i'd be all over it. I was committed to learning the older tech for "fun projects" but this has sorta crossed over the fun line
I find myself getting bitter on some projects, but after one good burnout, you feel your spite melt away.. until the next thing breaks.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Think it is time to get an IAC count so you know what is going on?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 PM
JasBass
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Think it is time to get an IAC count so you know what is going on?
Believe me, I 100% agree with you. Here’s the dilemma. Do I spend $100 on an X-ray 2500 or $60(after discount pricing) on a remanu ECM. If I do get the scanner and find out the steps are at like 150, then I’m just going to make the same decision, just have more info. At this point it’s a new MAF and IAC and I’ve gone through the reset process more times than I care to admit. If it’s a vacuum leak, then it’s the best kept vacuum leak in the history of vacuum leaks.

The common denominator here seems to be an inability of the ECM to maintain an idle less than 1500 unless the MAF is disconnected. We eliminated MAF. So we’re down to what happened when the MAF was disconnected. ECM went into default fuel tables. Idle drops right to 800. Runs rich, but runs. This has got to be an engine management issue, not an IAC or TB set screw issue. There just seems to be a basic inability of the ECM to command a proper idle
Old 06-20-2018, 07:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Believe me, I 100% agree with you. Here’s the dilemma. Do I spend $100 on an X-ray 2500 or $60(after discount pricing) on a remanu ECM. If I do get the scanner and find out the steps are at like 150, then I’m just going to make the same decision, just have more info. At this point it’s a new MAF and IAC and I’ve gone through the reset process more times than I care to admit. If it’s a vacuum leak, then it’s the best kept vacuum leak in the history of vacuum leaks.

The common denominator here seems to be an inability of the ECM to maintain an idle less than 1500 unless the MAF is disconnected. We eliminated MAF. So we’re down to what happened when the MAF was disconnected. ECM went into default fuel tables. Idle drops right to 800. Runs rich, but runs. This has got to be an engine management issue, not an IAC or TB set screw issue. There just seems to be a basic inability of the ECM to command a proper idle
Let's say the ECM fixes the problem and life is good. What happens tomorrow when something else goes wrong and you have no scanner?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM
JasBass
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Let's say the ECM fixes the problem and life is good. What happens tomorrow when something else goes wrong and you have no scanner?
As with all C4s, it all comes down to what order you want to spend your money; savings is not an option lol.

I've been doing some more digging and reading through years of high idle threads. There seems to be this common theme of possibly having a stuck EGR valve. Essentially creating an internal vacuum leak. Thoughts? I'll do the fridge test tonight and see if that helps the ECM or not.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

As with all C4s, it all comes down to what order you want to spend your money; savings is not an option lol.

I've been doing some more digging and reading through years of high idle threads. There seems to be this common theme of possibly having a stuck EGR valve. Essentially creating an internal vacuum leak. Thoughts? I'll do the fridge test tonight and see if that helps the ECM or not.
I doubt it could idle at 450 if the EGR valve was stuck. I would think it would be much more choppy.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:39 PM
JasBass
Racer

I doubt it could idle at 450 if the EGR valve was stuck. I would think it would be much more choppy.
Agreed. I ordered an ALDL to USB today along with the drivers and ADX file needed to scan the car. The ECM freezer trick did nothing. I'm still betting on a bad ECM or PROM though. I can't imagine a sensor or input would cause this much trouble. I'm out of town tomorrow though the weekend, so Monday i'll post back with some data...
Old 06-20-2018, 08:11 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Agreed. I ordered an ALDL to USB today along with the drivers and ADX file needed to scan the car. The ECM freezer trick did nothing. I'm still betting on a bad ECM or PROM though. I can't imagine a sensor or input would cause this much trouble. I'm out of town tomorrow though the weekend, so Monday i'll post back with some data...
Sounds good, with the scan we can judge bad inputs easier, and find which output is causing the idle issues.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 PM
JasBass
Racer

Sounds good, with the scan we can judge bad inputs easier, and find which output is causing the idle issues.
Man, it's fixed! You are not going to believe how stupid the fix was. I'm ashamed. I got the cable in and got TunerPro RT going. I only got like 5 outputs, but it was all I needed. Long story short, I think my multimeter was the culprit. I left the TB with the set screw almost backed all the way out, enough that it wasn't advancing the blades and the ECM was showing TPS volts at 1.3. I adjusted the set screw in about 5 turns from point of contact and then adjusted the TPS per the ECM read out to 0.54. Holy hell, it idles right at 750.... I need to go through the min idle reset process again using the ECM data. I took the car out and it felt great (for a 29 year old sports car lol). I just ran out of daylight to keep working. Lesson learned, use scan data . I feel like Odysseus coming back home after this journey

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusted TPS to 0.54, now idles at 1300

Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Man, it's fixed! You are not going to believe how stupid the fix was. I'm ashamed. I got the cable in and got TunerPro RT going. I only got like 5 outputs, but it was all I needed. Long story short, I think my multimeter was the culprit. I left the TB with the set screw almost backed all the way out, enough that it wasn't advancing the blades and the ECM was showing TPS volts at 1.3. I adjusted the set screw in about 5 turns from point of contact and then adjusted the TPS per the ECM read out to 0.54. Holy hell, it idles right at 750.... I need to go through the min idle reset process again using the ECM data. I took the car out and it felt great (for a 29 year old sports car lol). I just ran out of daylight to keep working. Lesson learned, use scan data . I feel like Odysseus coming back home after this journey
Thats awesome!! I'm actually pissed I didn't suspect the multimeter after the second TPS. And yes, scan data is almost like cheating when it comes to diagnosing sensors. I'm glad you had your triumphant drive!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
JasBass
Racer

Thats awesome!! I'm actually pissed I didn't suspect the multimeter after the second TPS. And yes, scan data is almost like cheating when it comes to diagnosing sensors. I'm glad you had your triumphant drive!
It's crazy though, I actually used the multimeter on other things outside of the car and it worked just fine. I think for some reason I was picking up some resistance on that middle ECM TPS pin. It showed 5v on the others just fine. Now I can get back to finishing up the cosmetics on the resto and start thinking about those power upgrades! Thanks again man, you'll have to PM me some contact info and i'll send over some alcohol of your choice
Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

It's crazy though, I actually used the multimeter on other things outside of the car and it worked just fine. I think for some reason I was picking up some resistance on that middle ECM TPS pin. It showed 5v on the others just fine. Now I can get back to finishing up the cosmetics on the resto and start thinking about those power upgrades! Thanks again man, you'll have to PM me some contact info and i'll send over some alcohol of your choice
HA! I'm not old enough to drink yet! Give me a few months lol.

Quick Reply: Adjusted TPS to 0.54, now idles at 1300